It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revelation (Mother Earth) - Ozzy (live)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I am posting this song, because these lyrics seem to ring even more true today, than they did 30 years ago, when they were written.

I have posted 2 versions of this song. The first is a good quality live concert video, but was recorded after Randy Rhoads' fatal accident. Apparently only a couple weeks after. The 2nd was recorded with Randy, but does not have any actual video footage. The 2nd is just the live audio and a pic.

Ozzy Osbourne Live 1982 - Revelation (Mother Earth)

Mother please forgive them
For they know not what they do
Looking back in history's books
It seems it's nothing new
Oh! Let my mother live

Heaven is for heroes
And hell is full of fools
Stupidity, no will to live
They're breaking God's own rules
Please let my mother live

Father, of all creation
I think we're all going wrong
The course they're taking
Seems to be breaking
And it won't take too long

Children of the future
Watching empires fall
Madness the cup they drink from
Self destruction the toll

I had a vision, l saw the world burn
And the seas had turned red
The sky had fallen, the final curtain
In the land of the dead

Mother, please show the children
Before it's too late
To fight each other, there's no-one winning
We must fight all the hate

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know if anyone will even open this thread, but part of my reasoning for including 2 versions, was in case of a die-hard Ozzy fan happening to open this, I did not want to get slaughtered for a lack of Randy in this song. Also, this 2nd version is without a doubt, a much better guitar performance.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
S+F Wow,what a solo in that second version,i havent heard much ozzy but ive got all the seventees sabbath albums,whats his best solo album?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by lektrofellon

My personal favorite solo album of his is probably Diary of a Madman, but if you're not familiar with Randy Rhoads then I suggest you should listen to 'Tribute.'

The 'Tribute to Randy Rhoads' album wasn't released until '87. He died in '82. There has been a couple different remastered versions of it come out since, but here is an easy access to the whole album. Someone has each track split into their Youtube. www.youtube.com...

I may be assuming this, but seems like you're not familiar with Randy Rhoads at all. Here is a short clip from a TV program '100 most shocking moments of rock', or something like that. It's really very sad. His death was caused by a meaningless stunt.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Wow,i knew he died but i didnt know how,what a way to go!
Thanks for the link,i will have to check out some more of his stuff!

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by lektrofellon

Yeah, it was a useless childish stunt, really. I was reading an article online earlier that gives a little more detail. The tour bus driver, who was also the pilot, had already taken someone else up first, and did the same thing. Then he went up the 2nd time with Randy and another female I believe. His pilot's license was expired, and he didn't even have permission to take that plane, according to the article.

From what I've seen, it seems that you like a variety of music styles. I do also. I actually hadn't listened to any Ozzy for quite awhile. For some reason last night, I had an urge to listen to Revelation (Mother Earth). It's just a coincidence that it is almost the anniversary date of Randy's death.

'Dee' is a cool song. It's just a mellow finger-picking instrumental that he apparently wrote for his mom. It's a catchy lil tune though. The version released isn't a completed version, but it shows the classical style that supposedly he was planning on exploring more of. It's hard telling what he could have done, but there's no disputing that he was an amazing guitarist, and most likely still would be if...........

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Reading my previous comment^^^ as a whole, doesn't seem to make much sense. Basically, three completely different thoughts.

Anyways, I just wanted to add, thank you for saying this -"Wow,what a solo in that second version"

That comment made it all worth it for me to make this thread, and I'm glad you listened to the 2nd version. The 1st version actually kind of sucks when compared to the 2nd. I just didn't want to make the OP with no actual video. The first really isn't bad, it just doesn't really compare.

I'm not trying to put down Brad Gillis though. He was the guitarist for Night Ranger, and a sort of last minute replacement. It would be hard for anyone to try and fill Randy's shoes, especially without warning, then having to learn all those songs in a short time period.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Wow. A great song that seems very fitting for current times. And how natural for me that I find this thread on the 29th anniversary of Randy's death.

Jesus...has it really been 29 years? I remember the day it happened.

I sat for days in a daze knowing a guitar god had died. Then I remembered this from Diary.....
I listened to it repeatedly for a while after that fateful day 29 years ago.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate
Jesus...has it really been 29 years? I remember the day it happened.

You must be a little older than me. (probably not by much though)
Dated yourself with that comment.

'No Rest For The Wicked' was the 1st Ozzy TAPE that I had. So 'Tribute' was out before I even knew about Randy Rhoads.

Thanks for posting that. I hadn't heard that in awhile. Good song.

"And they don't really know even what they're talkin' about
And I can't imagine what empty heads can achieve
"
edit on 3/19/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

lol...yeah..I guess I did...
Diary was the first thing I had of Ozzy's. Randy was the guy who influenced me enough to where I took up the guitar. He was a great loss. He barely even had any time to even make a mark, but it was a huge one.....

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

I can't verify this as being complete truth or not, but I have read that he was planning on pursuing classical guitar. Such as 'Dee.' The article said that he was planning on leaving Ozzy (permanently or temporary, I am not sure). It also said that in every city they stopped at along the tour, he would take classical style guitar lessons from a local guitar teacher. I just remembered something else too. Randy's first guitar teacher was a friend of his moms. He may of worked for her too. Anyways, I'm pretty sure it said when Randy was 13, the guy told Randy's mom that he couldn't teach Randy anymore. "Randy already knows everything that I know."

Can't find the link to that, but I came across this article that was written yesterday.
www.tmrzoo.com...

On May 31, music fans will have their first taste of re-issues from rock icon OZZY OSBOURNE ‘s catalog of work with the releases of two albums which form the cornerstone of Ozzy Osbourne’s career as a solo artist: Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman

the new Legacy Edition of Diary of a Madman includes the original album in its entirety, restored and remastered for this edition, with a bonus second CD of previously unreleased live performances featuring Ozzy Osbourne and Randy Rhoads with rhythm section Rudy Sarzo (bass) and Tommy Aldridge (drums).

For serious fans and collectors, the limited edition 30th Anniversary deluxe boxed set houses the restored and remastered vinyl and CD editions of Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman, the “Ozzy Live” compact disc

This new “Thirty Years After The Blizzard” DVD chronicles Ozzy’s years with Randy Rhoads features previously unseen footage of Ozzy and Randy filmed in 1981 & 1982; it incorporates rare archival photos and films;

edit on 3/20/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Yeah. Even Ozzy admitted in an interview several years later that Randy was probably going to leave his band. He was also a co-founder of Quiet Riot. In the video i posted earlier, towards the end, there are a few seconds of video of Randy with Kevin DuBrow.
Randy had indeed talked of either going back to QR or taking time off of rock to learn more classical guitar.Either way, I know for a fact I have heard interviews with Ozzy that he was pretty sure Randy was leaving. He said he was just happy of the time he had with him.

We will never know what Randy was fully capable of though. 2 albums with Ozzy. A few scattered other recording that are very-extremely rare. And tribute. Diary wasn't even a fully finished album. The record company basically told them it was going out as it was in like 2 or 3 days. He didn't even finish his work on S.A.T.O. that I definitely know of.

Randy was pretty much the inventor of the triplet pull offs. Listen to the outro of Mister Crowley. The notes he plays between chord changes always sounded to me like it was 8 notes. It's actually 24. It's so fast unless you know what's there you can't even tell...lol. Or at least I couldn't when I was 14 or so.

I know this thread wasn't started about Randy. But, Randy was a huge calming influence on Ozzy. If it weren't for Sharon..one, and Randy second, Ozzy wouldn't have probably lived past 1980 or mid '81. It was Randy's playing though that allowed songs like Revelation Mother Earth, and You Can't Kill Rock and Roll to be written. And definably his playing with Ozzy's star power that allowed them to become hits.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Ozzy had insisted for years that tribute and a few other single rare outtakes from live events were all there were of him and Randy. I knew for a fact though that I had seen a live Ozzy concert on something like HBO or something a few months BEFORE Randy died.
I might have been a young teen at the time, but I can still remember watching it. I really do hope more footage comes out one day. Randy's playing was magical. Watch the difference in the videos from the OP. Brad Gillis nails the solo, but..he is obviously having to work at it to get it. When I have seen Randy play it...the notes just roll off his guitars like they are coming straight from his fingers. His playing was effortless.And he was a real down to earth guy too from everything I have ever read.

More footage would just be awesome.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

I just realized that I didn't actually give my opinion one way or the other about his venturing more into classical music. So I just wanted to add that I didn't mean that as a bad thing. I am sure he would of had his own unique style of it, and then later on possibly would have fused the 2 (or more) styles together. Impossible to know for sure, but I feel this next statement is 100% accurate. The world of music has been deprived, and we will never know what we have missed.

I don't think I knew that 'Diary...' wasn't completed.

I know this thread wasn't started about Randy. But, Randy was a huge calming influence on Ozzy.
lol. Maybe it wasn't about him in the title, but even the OP starts to change directions by the time you get to the bottom.

the notes just roll off his guitars like they are coming straight from his fingers. His playing was effortless.And he was a real down to earth guy too from everything I have ever read.
yeah, he makes it look too easy.
That reminds me of something else I read, around the time I started this thread. The guy was one of Randy's personal friends. He said, "Randy may have been arrogant when he was on stage, but off the stage he was just a regular good guy. He would do anything for you." Don't quote me on that. I'm just going from memory, but that is close to how he worded it.

Mr. Crowley (w/ Randy)

Youtube comment
"god , take bieber and give us Rhoads again" - PTGhost14 1 week ago 61

'Goodbye To Romance' (w/ Zakk - 90's??)
This song is supposedly about Sabbath, but to me, it always has been, and always will be, about Randy.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I don't know if Ozzy is capable of writing riffs. I'd bet all that killer stuff from those two albums came from Randy, as some can be seen and heard here from his days in Quiet Riot. Caution: Kevin DuBrow sings at the end. It's not pretty.

There's another solo linked on that page but I didn't listen to it. There was one on a QR compilation cd released many moons ago that also had Suicide Solution in it.

I always thought Tribute was a letdown. maybe the original, on album, was mixed poorly or something but I never really liked it. Never heard it in digital format, remixed and remastered and with all the bells and whistles. Maybe it's better, who knows. I can't really say why I was never impressed with the album.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoony

Originally posted by TheLoony
I don't know if Ozzy is capable of writing riffs. I'd bet all that killer stuff from those two albums came from Randy, as some can be seen and heard here from his days in Quiet Riot. Caution: Kevin DuBrow sings at the end. It's not pretty.

Thanks for that warning. I had my finger on the trigger waiting for the appropriate time to fire the mute, so I didn't have to hear much of it lol. I didn't think Ozzy could even play, yet alone write. I don't think I've ever even seen a pic with him and a guitar.

It annoys me sometimes when people turn off the youtube comments. Yeah, there's usually a-holes making ignorant remarks, but sometimes you can also find info within the comments. Such as when and/or where it was recorded. Also, certain songs that some of the parts may have been. One small part in particular that I couldn't figure out, is around the 2:30 point. It was short, but was definitely something familiar. First thought was some children's thing; maybe a TV show (Lone Ranger was my 1st guess). Or maybe even an old classical piano tune. I'm not sure, but I listened to that small part several times trying to figure it out.

I haven't listened to 'Tribute' for awhile. Going from memory, it isn't the best audio quality, but in my opinion it is still a pretty good recording considering that it was the early 80's.

A video collage that someone made. A little more than half is live video/audio, and the rest is live audio accompanied by many pics. It is all solo's.
Crazy Train Live.
Mr.Crowley Live.
Revelation (Mother Earth) Live.
Goodbye To Romance Live.
Suicide Solution Jam Solo Live.
Truble (Quiet Riot)

Here's a short clip of random pics and some video footage,
accompanied by 'Dee'

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   

You got it right, it's The Lone Ranger, or more precisely the William Tell Overture.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoony

Thanks. I really didn't think that was correct. That was just my 1st thought.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I really enjoyed this post. Stars and Flags for all the videos posts. When I think Ozzy... I always think of Randy Rhodes playin his little heart out and miss his guitar playing very much. He was an awesome guitar player and I will always remember him with love in my heart.

top topics

join