It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raw Honey Healing Properties?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I'll start by telling you our yorkie has cancer. Breast cancer to be specific. She is very elderly. She was my inlaws dog and when they passed away in 2004 we took her in. Her age is between 17-18 years old. Anyway she was diagnosed with breast cancer last month. She is too old for the surgery. She is still eating and walking on her own. And unless you know that she has cancer, you wouldn't know it until you picked her up to look at her stomach.

She has this pus that is oozing from the area of where the spot is. She is on her second round of antibiotics. We know the antibiotics isn't going to take away the tumor but we thought it would clear up the oozing part and it has not. Right now just want to make her comfortable. I was reading how raw honey can be beneficial to wounds and didn't know if anyone else had heard this or not? Here is the article I found online.....Honey as a topical antibacterial agent for treatment of infected wounds

Has anyone had any experience with using raw honey on wounds? I have a few ideas on how to make it not messy (LOL). Also they do have a creamy raw honey that is thicker and spreads like butter. That might be the better option for a canine. Would appreciate any input. Also I don't know if I put this in the right forum or not. If I haven't, I'm sorry. Thanks for any input.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SavannahJane

The only healing properties i know about honey is only orally ingested to fight off a cough or cold i guess but Ive never heard about using it as an ointment. What you might want to research is hemp oil i heard that stuff cures cancer. but then again is illegal unless you live in one of the lucky 13 states?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
All I know is for the last year or so every morning I have organic oatmeal, raw honey, and organic cinnamon for breakfast. This has helped me perform at a higher level every since.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
My friend whose horse injured itself quite badly (big gash, lots of pus, swelling) uses Manuka Honey to cover the wound. Then she would bandage the cut. It is expensive though, but worth it. :-)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Manuka honey is the purest natural substance in the world as bacteria cannot live in it. It is an excellent treatment for cuts, wounds etc. I use it myself and never get an infected cut.
If the dog licks it off it will in no way harm her like chemiacals can.
Any honey will do the job but manuka honey is pure and the best.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Thank you so much for the replies. I guess I can give it a shot. I don't think it will hurt any. I'm not looking for it to be a cure for the cancer because I don't think it is curable especially at her age, just something to clear up the oozing pus. I will get some tomorrow and try it out. Can I buy the manuka honey in a specialty store or do I have to order it online?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
sorry to hear about your yorx ...

I have a 4 year Jack Russell & it makes me sad to think what life would be like with out him....

I'm not sure if this is a proper forum for holistic/homeopathic dog remedies....but what do I know

about Raw honey.... is that during Allergy season, I eat a Tablespoon a day of raw locally made honey ....
I guess the concept/theory is that by eating honey made using your local pollen you build up an Immunity towards it thus relieving Allergy symptoms...

As far as Raw honey being an antiseptic .....I have No Clue

If you rub it on her belly ....I think she may just lick it off

All the best to you & her

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

I live in England and here we buy it in any regular health food store, however I cannot say with you living in USA where you would get it from. I would assume it is in a similar type of shop. It is more expensive than other thypes of honey but so much more beneficial it is worth the extra cost. I would suggest putting it on her and if possible applying some dressing over it because I am sure she will lick it off once she gets the taste. It will help any infection and prevent any from occuring thus making your dog more comfortable. I wish her well.
edit on 6/3/2011 by squizzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I'll bet she's a little sweetheart. One of our clan mothers(she passed away in 1990), used to put honey in her eyes. She always claimed she didn't need glasses because of it. I'd try it, it's natural. Good luck.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Melaeluca honey from Australia is also good, if your in America you should be able to buy it there. Chemist health shop or whatever they call them in America. Many people use it here for wounds, it has antiseptic qualities and anti bacterial.

If i get a sample of honey from the locality that i live in, and have some it cures my Asthma for the season, I think the bees give me some of there immune system, so to speak.

Honey can also be used to propagate plant cuttings. Just dip the end in and plant and away it will go.

So honey is good it is worth a try.

The creamy honey "I think" is whipped with cream added, I would not apply this if this is the case.

Another good thing I've heard for cancer is Mushroom toothpaste. It completely removed a mates face cancer.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Again thank you so much for your replies. Wow I never expected to get this many thoughtful replies. I will go check out a couple of the health stores in Knoxville as we have to go into town in a couple of hours and I will let you all know if I find any of the makanu honey that you speak of.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
know they have used honey in the ancient Egyptian days for wounds
i forget where i read that info tho - bit i know i read it

i would just apply some honey on the wound an wrap in in a bandage

good luck
an please tell us how an if it works

thanks

peace

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

In my opinion, yes, honey can be used as an effective wound healer/ anti-septic. I am a diabetic and have used raw honey on small cuts and wounds for several years now..... especially since I love to garden and well...I don't know of any gardener who does not get a cut, scrape or puncture from time to time. The way I use it is take a small sterile pad, dip a warm spoon in the honey then drizzle on the sterile pad and then use first aid tape to hold secure, this is of course for human application.

You mentioned your little cutie pie was also on an antibiotic, before adding something to the medical regimen check with your vet first to make sure there will be no drug interactions. I can't image that would be the case with honey but you can't be too careful. I was on a perscription statin once and had a very bad reaction from drinking gapefruit juice.... who knew? Just want that precious little one to be safe and you not to loose a valued member of the family.

Keep us posted on the outcome!!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
You might try the Health Shoppe in Surburban Shopping Center on Kingston Pike. It's a nice store with a very knowledegable and caring, owner. Hopefully he'll be working today. All the best to you and your little friend.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

I am sorry that your doggie is terminally ill. I have had several cats who have died from such illnesses, and i wish her to be comfortable in the final days of her life.

First and foremost: I am not a doctor or any kind, nor am i certifiable in any medical areas.

Second: How large an area are you talking about? Quarter, golf ball, larger?

I have never used honey medicinally, but one thing i have used is tea tree oil.. I have used it as an topical antiseptic (and occasionally minor analgesic) for small cuts, fever blisters, and general small lesions. I would not use it on very large wounds, though.

Perhaps you should look into that.

I hope this helps you some.

Stay well.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I have heard of using olive oil on wounds and wrapping a bandage soaked in wine, this is a very old technique…and is also mentioned in the Bible itself, if I remember correctly.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
First of all beautiful dog and I hope it get's better soon. As for the raw honey I am not fully aware of all homeopathic remedies regarding it. But I have used raw honey for years to relieve my headaches. Something about it's sugar level and maybe the local pollen in it helps my headaches, as well as allergies like Mountain cedar (Juniper) and ragweed and if you have allergies with things like milk thistles and stuff. If you have problem with allergies take a teaspoon of local raw honey for a year and the next year I guarantee your body will build up an immunity to it. Worked wonders for myself, but I am not a doctor or a nutritionist thought.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Beautiful little dog, I feel for you.

Honey is safe for dogs, as a rule. Like people, some can have an allergy to it. Manuka or Melaleuca honeys are a great treatment for wounds or sore throats.
A mixture of organic, free range eggs and natural non-heat-treated honey can help a sick dog get its energy back.

I guess it's not possible to get the tumor cut out?
Be careful about healing the area while there is something suppurating inside. It's vital the pus can exit the body.

A great Aussie vet, Ian Gawler, who recovered from cancer wrote You Can Conquer Cancer, and included a section on treating dogs with cancer using natural foods and vitamins.

Some years back my mother's wire-haired terrier was dying of cancer. Little Techie had been given treatment which gave him another 3 months of life, but the vet said he would die soon after that 3 month period. My dad was dying too, and seeing New Zealand was on his bucket list, so I was left baby-sitting a little old dog while he died. Techie and I had always had an understanding, a deep bond and mutual respect. I was the only person he'd let into my parents house without barking, a privilege he didn't allow any of my 6 brothers, and he'd once taken care of me when I had meningitis, by standing guard and not letting my children come into my room or make any noise. (Meningitus is far more painful than the worst migraine.) So I owed him one.

Coincidentally, I'd just picked up this book from the local Op Shop, so I tried it out.

Before I started Techie was unable to climb a step on his own, was constantly leaking pee, his legs were weak and his distended tummy dragged on the ground, his fur had fallen out and he'd lost interest in food. I didn't expect anything to make a difference at that stage, and wouldn't have tried, but the book having turned up at the right time made me wonder if perhaps I was meant to.

So I made him a mixture of rabbit mince, eggs, wheat-germ, cod-liver oil and vitamins. He wouldn't eat it until I put it in a pretty bowl at the table, ate a little myself, and then fed it to him off my fingers. Each day he got stronger, and one night, a few weeks later, he disappeared. I was so worried, I searched for him for hours. Finally he returned, and jumped up onto a chair. The change in him really was that dramatic.

I said to him, not thinking he'd understand, "I wish you could show me where you've been," and he waddled out the door again. To my surprise, he took me for a walk, seeming to be retracing his steps, and I'm sure he was telling me about everything that had happened on the way.

Two week after that my parents returned, and came for Techie. As soon as my mother opened the car door Techie bounded up and leapt onto her lap, licking her face. She burst into tears, telling me I shouldn't have, that she couldn't love another dog, and to please take it back. It turned out she hadn't recognised this slimmed down, energetic, furry animal. She'd expected Techie to be dead, and thought I must have got a new dog to replace him for her.

I don't know anything about other people using Gawler's ideas on dogs, so for all I know this was just a fluke. But there's nothing harmful in the diet he gives, no drugs used, and no way it can do any harm.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Again thank you for all the replies. We did not go into town today. So no honey. I was worried about leaving her by herself because to me the wound has gotten worse. Actually today it is the worse it has looked. She is acting no different. Just laying in hubby's lap on a towel. I did do some hydrogen peroxide and water mixture 25%/75% and loaded a syringe with no needle and squirted. It made the smell worse so I don't know if flushing it like that helped or hurt. The vet had told us a saline wash which we had been doing but I stopped because she absolutely did not like it at all and to me it wasn't helping. So why do it if it is bothering her with no results after a week of trying. She didn't like what I did this afternoon either but I am at my wits end and I am very, very upset. There is no curing this. I was only wanting to make her comfortable and now I am wondering if what one of the above posters said about being careful covering it up is true. That sort of makes sense because you would want whatever it is to come out because that is her body's way of dealing with it, right? If it backs up in her than it might make it worse.

I think I am going to call the vet tomorrow and see what they say. I don't know what to do. I'm very confused. And horrified at what it looks like today. Also on the size of it I am going to try and post a picture of what it looked like last month and just know it looks worse now. I just don't know how to describe it. And so praying that when it is her time she goes in her sleep rather than us having to make the other decision. I just don't know if we can do that. I'm probably logging off because I am very upset again.

edit on 6-3-2011 by SavannahJane because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
i use to have real bad acne and acne scars on my face, then i put some "homemade" honey on my face for the period of a month, and my face started to become more and more smoother.

thanks honey

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join