It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After shocks coming thick and fast here CH CH NZ

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
www.geonet.org.nz...
Have a look at this link. The 4.8 doesnt sound like much. But wow, it was a violent quake. A couple of days ago the after shocks were dying right off, from after the big one on the 22nd of feb. But now they have cranked it up a lot.
Also another thing. I was talking to my brother in law yesterday. He said a overseas geologist had been monitering water temps in Lyttelton harbour. (Just on the other side of the hill from here in Christchurch.)
And he said a day before our 6.3 on Tuesday, the water temp in one of the bays in Lyttelton had been spiking up 5 to 6 degrees c above normal. Now is there any explanation to this, I would like to hear it. Like to hear from some experts.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by aarys

My God , that is the last thing those people deserve. I will try to help.

Second line

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
experts?

well anyhow, if there was a spike in ocean temperature like that it would have to be from cracks in the seafloor letting out heat/magma from under the crust.. what else is there? aliens

on another note.. It is interesting to think of earthquake events not as just one big quake but the larger quakes followed by aftershocks.. you'd think the pressure built up in the crust would release all at once..

sometimes I like to think of the core of the earth being somewhat like the sun, where earthquake swarms are happening there like sunspots.. just areas of magnetic instabilities

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
My advice.....

if you know anyone in CHCH, tell them to take a short trip out of CHCH between 18-22 March 2011.

It's ONLY probablities but NZ, Indonesia, Philippines or Australia MIGHT be in for a BIG EQK or volcanoic eruption during those dates.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Wow. All I could say is I agree with BornParadox about it being volcanic in nature. I know it's hard to do but just be mindful of your surroundings and be safe... my thoughts are with you and yours and all in Christ Church.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
The 4.8 was shallow and has set off a few wee aftershocks, that's all. The volcanoes at Lyttelton / Akaroa have been extinct for over 6 million years and no chance of them making a reappearance. There were hot springs on Banks Peninsula before the 7.1. They have always been monitored. Don't know where you got your 5degs rise in temp from.

So far, the aftershocks from the 6.3 have followed a normal pattern. As did the 7.1. (I live 10km from epicentre of 7.1)

Plus, people are saying today's aftershock was MUCH bigger than the 4.6 the other day but was "only" listed as a 4.8. Sure, it did feel a lot bigger, but then it is - a 4.8 is equivalent to around 220 tons of energy - double that of a 4.6

Honestly, if you want to know "thick and fast" you should have been out on the Plains after the Sept 7.1.. that was horrendous...

quake.crowe.co.nz...

edit on 5-3-2011 by MoorfNZ because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-3-2011 by MoorfNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by aarys

Who is the geologist to confirm this report???

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Not all hot spring activity is associated with active volcanoes....

New Zealand’s geothermal systems Scientists divide New Zealand’s geothermal systems into three main groups: •Large, intense systems associated with young volcanoes •Cooler systems associated with older or extinct volcanoes •Isolated warm springs associated with faultlines. The Taupō volcanic zone The major geothermal fields in the Taupō region give rise to the spectacular geysers, boiling springs, mud pools and fumaroles (steam or gas vents) throughout the region. These features are closely associated with active volcanoes. In volcanic zones such as Taupō the ground is heated by magma (molten rock) close to the surface. Because of this intense heat source, water temperatures in the deeper parts of a geothermal system may be greater than 300ºC. The waters are under great pressure, so can become superheated well above their normal boiling temperature (100ºC at sea level). Outside the Taupō region, the only other high-temperature geothermal system is at Ngāwhā, in Northland, which has been volcanically active in the last few thousand years. Cooler systems in volcanic zones Numerous other hot springs are associated with remnants of volcanic activity, particularly in Northland, Coromandel, the Hauraki Plains and the Bay of Plenty. Heat sources for these fields are diffuse rather than intense, producing fluid temperatures of less than 100ºC. These smaller systems are confined to the North Island. Banks Peninsula and Otago Peninsula in the South Island are ancient volcanoes, but there is no longer any volcanic heat flow underneath them. Springs associated with faultlines Warm springs (less than 70ºC) are found in non-volcanic areas of New Zealand. Faults – deep fractures in the rock – provide channels for warm water to rise rapidly from depths where it has been heated. Striking examples are the hot springs aligned along the Hope Fault, in North Canterbury, and the Alpine Fault, in the Southern Alps. At Hanmer, on the Alpine Fault, a range of thermal pools attract thousands every year. the diffuse heat source explains why the hot springs around Auckland (Waiwera, Parakai and Miranda) are a long way from the volcanoes

xtranewscommunity2.smfforfree.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Here's a thread which was on ATS only a week or so ago....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It talks about possible eruptions and other issue in that area...

Might be of interest...

Regards

PDUK

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
Here's a thread which was on ATS only a week or so ago....
www.abovetopsecret.com...
It talks about possible eruptions and other issue in that area...
Might be of interest...
Regards
PDUK

The OP of that thread claims Mt Cook is a dangerous volcano.

(Mt Cook never was a volcano.)

That whole thread is based on an unsourced viral email and seems designed to scare the people of Christchurch into packing up and leaving.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by aarys

I agree with BornParadox that you're dealing with geophysical/magnetic instability - and with Bluemirage that it's a VERY good idea to leave the area between March 18 and 22.

Good luck.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Well thanks for your replies guys. Its now 9am Sunday here. And the aftershocks through the night have died off, thank god. Just one 3 this morning. As for those dates that some of you say get out of CHCH. You might be right. Our local moon man here in NZ has said for about 6 months now that on the 20th because of our king tides and full moon there will be another big one.
www.predictweather.com...
Lets hope he is wrong. Our kids could not handle another big one.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
People who believe the Moon Man are falling for a scammer taking advantage of the fear and anxiety some are currently sufferent... it's ridiculous!!!

His "predictions" for March was a large quake on:

5th March give or take 5 days either side (so from 1st - 10th)

20th March give or take 5 days either side (so from 15th - 25th)

Work it out for yourself - that means he's covered pretty much all of March!!! He's a scaremongering scammer.

People are so convinced they don't even care if he's a few more days "out" than 4 or 5

Stupid.

Let's look at his *cough* accuracy and how he words stuff - here's his Top Ten Quotes PRIOR to December 2010...

I would still not consider that another massive earthquake is certain, in fact I think it’s more likely not to be the case in Christchurch. I can only repeat that other well-known earthquakes in NZ’s history have not, as a rule revisited the same site. // For another disastrous event, Christchurch may or may not be in the firing line again; it could be Wellington or anywhere, and it may not even happen. // The numbers of shakes do seem to be getting less and the distances greater between clusters. People are at last adjusting. // ...my guess is that these aftershocks will end soon for Christchurch, probably around the end of November. // it is reasonable to relax and assume that another devastating shake is unlikely to repeat anytime soon, despite a seismology-department knee-jerk reaction that a 6+ mag. earthquake aftershock could be arriving in the district at any time. // Nothing is achieved by the so-called earthquake experts warning of ever-impending doom, which may be an ongoing exercise in damage control to cover-up performance embarrassment. To proclaim afterwards that more and bigger shakes were to come [is a] distraction... perhaps they should admit to that, rather than make more claims about future events to come // There is no reason to suppose any aftershocks of significance will occur... // My business is only a bunch of opinions as I have wearily repeated. There is no claim on accuracy, proof or anything other than that I have opinions. // It indicates the Christchurch shake is not part of some lasting new development, reaffirming that the activity of the past couple of days has probably been just remnants of general global disturbance due to the recent lunar eclipse..//. In a day or so things should be back to normal...// Dolphin's send sonar signals to the moon.

top topics

join