It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aliens and the invention of velcro myth.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Allot of Ufologists and conspiracy theorists say that aliens gave us the idea for the invention of velcro. Well people it was actually plants. I am not trying to discredit your theories. I am presenting a fact to end this debate. The plant that inspired the velcro invention was from the bur plant spices. If you look it up allot if reference websites will clearly point this out and it makes allot of sense.
edit on 5-3-2011 by paranormal78 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-3-2011 by paranormal78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Yep, I was told this in like 3rd grade. The guy that invented it, was riding his horse I think, and the burs were sticking to him. He examined how they attached themselves, and presto.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
whoa there chief.

Maybe you should take "men in black" out of your digital queue.

I would recommend "apocalypse now" followed by "blazing saddles" as needed.

(and i better not see an alien and the microwave oven myth thread either)

edit on 5-3-2011 by BadBoYeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

Trust me you wont. It's the Velcro being inspired by alien tech. I like to think the people who came up with these inventions deserve some actual credit. But there are some inventions that get me thinking;could they have been inspired by alien technology? If you look at the time line you see the invention of the circuit board did not get revealed until 1947. That was right after the Roswell U.F.O. crash.... Makes you think doesn't it?

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by paranormal78
I am presenting a fact to end this debate.

I agree with you, that the idea most likely did originate from studying certain plants' characteristics.

However, you have not presented any facts at all. You have presented an opinion with nothing to back it up. If you are actually attempting to present a fact to end this 'debate,' then I would advise that you present some evidence, some links, some photos, and some text from different sources to back it up.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
yes that and aliens.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
The Invention of VELCRO ® - George de Mestral

One lovely summer day in 1948, a Swiss amateur-mountaineer and inventor decided to take his dog for a nature hike. The man and his faithful companion both returned home covered with burrs, the plant seed-sacs that cling to animal fur in order to travel to fertile new planting grounds. The man neglected his matted dog, and with a burning curiosity ran to his microscope and inspected one of the many burrs stuck to his pants. He saw all the small hooks that enabled the seed-bearing burr to cling so viciously to the tiny loops in the fabric of his pants. George de Mestral raised his head from the microscope and smiled thinking, "I will design a unique, two-sided fastener, one side with stiff hooks like the burrs and the other side with soft loops like the fabric of my pants. I will call my invention 'velcro' a combination of the word velour and crochet. It will rival the zipper in its ability to fasten."

Mestral's idea met with resistance and even laughter, but the inventor 'stuck' by his invention. Together with a weaver from a textile plant in France, Mestal perfected his hook and loop fastener. By trial and error, he realized that nylon when sewn under infrared light, formed tough hooks for the burr side of the fastener. This finished the design, patented in 1955. The inventor formed Velcro Industries to manufacture his invention. Mestral was selling over sixty million yards of Velcro per year. Today it is a multi-million dollar industry.

Not bad for an invention based on Mother Nature.

Read more: Who invented velcro? | Answerbag www.answerbag.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

Velcro ( IMO ) = Human

I wont post a alien and microwave thread either but you reminded me of something i had heard - i would like to ask who "invented" Fibre optics

I have heard a theory that was "given" to us by aliens before any ideas.

Peace

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by johngtr

Well to answer your question johngtr it was reported that a dude by the name of Laurence E. Curtiss invented fiber optics at the University of Michigan in 1956 as a side project to use on another experiment he was already working on. But who knows maybe the government gave him the idea after the Roswell crash so that fiber optics could be maid public for some reason.

top topics

join