It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Upset at Government, TWU student in custody after lockdown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Article

A Texas Woman’s University student voiced his frustration with Veterans Affairs in a class Tuesday morning and made threats involving an assault rifle, setting off a campus lockdown, a police search and his eventual arrest on a charge of making a terroristic threat.

I heard about this in school earlier today. (I dont go to the same school, but it's nearby). I know a few people that go there and they said it was a pretty tense day. Im not sure what exactly this guy said in class, but the article covers some of it.

TWU Public Safety Chief John Erwin said Tuesday afternoon that Gillette, a political science major who enrolled at the university for the first time this semester, was in a history and government class when he became angry and began making statements about his treatment by the Veterans Affairs office.

In an interview Tuesday night in the Denton County Jail, Gillette said he was speaking while in intense pain from injuries suffered while he was in the military and out of frustration with the government because he is not getting the medical help he needs. Gillette said he was speaking generically about Washington and did not mean to threaten his fellow students.

Heres what he said.

“In no way, shape or form would I ever hurt anyone at TWU, nor did I threaten anyone,” he said. “It was my way of letting the school know that my government is not listening to me. I’ve been in pain a long time, and I’m tired of it.”

Police found him circling the VAs office in Dallas. The officers said he was compliant and no weapon was found.

I cant find any article that says exactly what he said in class, but I will continue looking.

This situation kind of has me thinking, was what he said anti-government? A news report earlier today said this guy has been attending political rallies in Lewisville and Denton. Ill try to find that article to.

Heres another link with some more information. Article2

"I got chills," Hester said. "Once the cops came in and realized that, then you start thinking about things and you realize how severe it can be. This was the same kid who wanted to start a 911 truth movement."

Gillette recently wrote a letter to U.S. Congressman Michael Burgess. Gillette stated his "grievance with the central government concerns a lack of proper medical care that I deserve due to honorable service to the nation". Gillette demanded that the government apologize to him, give him private medical care and compensate him for his pain and suffering. He ended the letter by saying if his demands were not meet he would begin to prepare offensive combat against the government.

edit on 1-3-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
This is what happens when you move beyond posting words on the internet. The moment you interrupt the normal grind to speak your mind, especially if done passionately, the law comes down really hard! Next, the media jumps in and typically labels you a "nut-job" and if you had the gall to mention the fact that the gov't is lying about 9/11 or income tax is an illegal fraud...you just got yourself a life of mockery and failure.

Well he deserves it right, I mean seriously, a veteran with a life-long disability or injury from fighting a needless war...who the hell does he think he is a two-term congressman or something!
edit on 3/1/2011 by budaruskie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by budaruskie

I do agree with your post. He is a veteran with injury and is not recieving the proper care he was promised. I wonder how many other veterans are suffering and not recieving the healthcare they were promised.

From what I understand from what Ive read, he did NOT threaten the students, (or atleast he didnt mean to). The class was a Government/History class and he criticized the government and somehow an assault rifle was mentioned. (Im guessing the "Terroristic Threat" charge came not from threatening students, but threatening the government.)

Im guessing he was saying something along the lines of "If nothing changes soon, I will take action." The articles seem to give me the idea like he is finally about to break. They say he has spoken out against the government a few times before, so I would guess he has a pretty good idea of what he is talking about.

In my 2nd article, he wrote to our congressman and ended with "he would prepare offensive combat against the government." I dont know if he's talking about state or federal or violent or peaceful or who or anything else (but I get the feeling he did mean violence). The information still seems a bit vauge about his exact words in the classroom.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

As a veteran getting shafted by the va I like what that guy had to say. As soon as you show displeasure with your lack of treatment with the va your treatment becomes worse. I had a stroke or something extremely similar at 29, we'll never know for sure because the incompetent bastards didn't do an MRI on me. What they did do however was run me into walls while I was helpless in a wheelchair and treated me like I was faking it. When I bring that up to the va I just get a blank look from them, seriously # the va and all the staff that works for them that weren't competent enough to work in a competitive Hospital. I haven't threatened them with direct violence but I have told them many times that If the va was somehow just full of va staff only and caught on fire they might be surprised at the amount of people that would show up to block the exits.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Veterans Affairs got rid of all it's Doctors and now contracts for doctors. There's a nurse practioner/secretary that sees everyone now. They can't sign for Schedule II narcotics for Veterans...and it's hard to get in to see the Contracted doctor who's only there for a few hours day.

It's a national problem Veterans are unable to get pain meds/narcotics every month from Veterans Affairs now.

James "Bing" Popkowski was a 15 year Marine Corps Lieutenant and developed a cancer eating his bones. He got a stem cell treatment from them but it didn't help much. He was needing narcotics every month to deal with the cancer eating him alive. He couldn't get it from Veterans Affairs. As a good Marine at first he was polite trying to get help. Then he complained. Then he filed complaints with his Congressmen...no help. Veterans Affairs instead had him using video conferencing with a Psychiatrist far away...he didn't need a psychiatrist...he needed pain meds. Veterans Affairs sent him a letter in the mail that he is not to use the VA Clinic near him, and if he set foot in it he would be arrested for trespassing.

He finally snapped on the phone with Veterans Affairs in a fury of curse words saying he couldn't get medicine. Veterans Affairs called the police.

He was shot 8 times in a wooded area across the highway from a Veterans Affairs Clinic by a Veterans Affairs Security Guard. All he wanted was medicine. His country murdered him.

Here's the VA IG Report on it:
www.va.gov...

I like the part where they say "they mailed him medication on the same day he complained he couldn't get meds and he got them on the same day". Lies. You can't receive medication on the same day it's put into the system with the VA Medicine mail system. You can't receive Schedule II narcotics thru the mail. Veterans Affairs DOES NOT mail out pain medicine/ schedule II narcotics. They have to be signed for.

Iraq War Vet kills himself in front of Veterans Affairs:

www.armytimes.com...
www.boston.com...

He shot himself in the head...didn't kill him the first time. He had to shoot himself in the head twice. His pain must have been pretty bad to do that.

Marine Cpl. Jonathan J. Schulze, recipient of 2 Purple Hearts from the Iraq War, hung himself after trying to get Veterans Affairs medical help and was turned away:

videosift.com...

More suicides:

seattletimes.nwsource.com...
ryanbrittdevine.blogspot.com...

This Vietnam Veteran committed suicide by SETTING HIMSELF ON FIRE in India:
gulfnews.com...

Another Vet suicide by fire:
www.pittsburghlive.com...

...Stepped in front of a train:
abclocal.go.com.../iteam&id=7947431
82nd Airborne, 2 tours.

Veterans protesting in Florida because illegal immigrants given jobs to build VA Hospital instead of Americans:
www.cfnews13.com...

ACLU going after Veterans Affairs in Southern California for illegally using it's land, leasing it for a company to use as a theatre and another place running a tennis court on Veterans Affairs land...ACLU took the case after Veterans protested in front of the place every Sunday for over 21 YEARS:
www.sanfernandosun.com...

US Military Veterans who got the Smallpox Vaccine were injected with LIVE Vaccina Virus.
Those veterans have been passing that live Vaccina Virus to their kids and spouses thru contact.
vaccinenewsdaily.com...

I find it funny American's have those magnetic ribbons on their vehicles "Support the Troops"....yet it appears Veterans Affairs is not funded.

We are killing our Veterans. Likely a cost saving measure Obama came up with. He's for Unions...not Veterans.

Can you believe they contracted out Doctors and now there are no doctors at VA Clinics so our Veterans can get their pain medicine every month??

All those Veterans killing themselves because of it...is blood on Obama's hands. He should be charged with MURDER.

edit on 2-3-2011 by Pervius because: spellin

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
More proof that good soldiers end up getting shafted and thrown under the bridge after they are used up, become sick from exposure to hazmats, or injured on the battlefield...

"Thank you very much, now go away and we don't want to hear from you again"

The above would be a more honest recruiting slogan..

This doesn't always happen, but it has happened a lot, and it still is happening to people that serve their country in good faith.. America should be doing much better than this..

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Silverado - I have heard similar stories, and some from a few of my friends, about the gross incompetence of the VA. A friend of mine has had an extreme migrane problem for a few years now, but the VA hasnt done anything to find out whats wrong. Ive heard stories of how veterans have to wait hours and hours just to see if they can get seen by a doctor, but get turned down and are asked to come another time.....and the same thing happens.

Pervius - I had no idea the VA got rid of their doctors and now contracts them. Those links your shared are pretty heartbreaking. This is how our government supports our "heroes"? I dont think our veterans are really even supported at all.

After thinking about the student in the OP, I cant really say I find anything wrong with what he said (from what I know so far).

He wasnt going to harm the students, but he was going to get his revenge on the government that shafted him.....and I dont have a problem with that.
edit on 2-3-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Well your whole post is tragic but the small pox bit really made my night. I got the shot in 2003 and a few days later we had to pull the only sewage pump that services the forward part of the ship because the females aboard ship are lazy and flush their tampons down the toilet killing 20k+ pumps. Well anyways over the smell of raw sewage we could smell rotten flesh so we started looking around. It didn't take long to pinpoint the smell to my arm, and the same area I received the vaccine. When I went down to medical they pulled off the bandage and removed a roughly 4 inch circular area of rotting flesh, then a week later they started doing the Anthrax shots again the idiots gave me two more than I needed.

Also has anyone heard of the Bonus Army? en.wikipedia.org... These guys and some of their family died so we could have the crappy "benefits" we receive today.
edit on 2-3-2011 by Silverado292 because: Addition

edit on 2-3-2011 by Silverado292 because: Spelling

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

If you know any other Vets that aren't getting the care they need they need to see if they are able to get evaluated through wriisc www.warrelatedillness.va.gov... I went down to the facility in Palo Alto Ca the majority of the doctors are from Stanford University and volunteer at the hospital. It's actually a great hospital and they get Vets from all over the country it was the only place I've been too that actually helped. So those records were quickly stolen from me.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Sounds like yet another case of civilians 1. Not being able to handle truth.
2. Not understanding combat vets and as result comments that he made were taken way out of context resulting in his being arrested..
Can only hope the judge has more common sense / understanding and can help him get the help that he needs.. Seems campuses there are still biased against veterans.. Can understand his frustration with the v.a - years ago was told flat out that am "too dangerous" and never to set foot on any v.a or government property again when had went in seeking treatment for p.t.s.d. .. disgusts me when people claim the damn va helps..
edit on 2-3-2011 by Expat888 because: Gremlins...

top topics

join