It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fired - The military does not like this board

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Hello all,

My name is Ross Hosman and up until mid june I was the Senoir System Administrator for Information Protection at Scott AFB, IL (under USTRANSCOM). I managed 200+ solaris systems for the government contractor NCI. One day a co-worker and I were having a discussion about hackers (he was our snoir security engineer who didn't even own a home computer) because he previously, that morning, made a presentation on hackers. During his presentation all of his information was from hacking during the early to mid 90s and nothing recent. I told him my concerns and what I thought we should focus on and that I knew a few "hackers" and that they don't operate like he was saying.

Two weeks later my senoir boss comes in with a colonel from OSI (office of special investigations). They had been monitoring my work and internet activity. Anyway I was immediately pulled from my chair and taken into a side room and stripped of my security badges pending further investigation. A few days later I found out their investigation was complete and they did not want me back because I visited one website, this one right here.

I was never given the chance to explain myself or defend myself against any accusations. All they were focused on was me visiting thise one site.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Maybe they thought you were too much of a risk. I notice you run an ISP as well. That and saying you knew some hackers, PLUS this site, will probably have been taken together. If you tripped too many flags, they wouldn't be interested in explanations. it's not worth the risk on their part.

[edit on 18-7-2004 by muppet]

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Lil tip, and I'm telling you out of first hand experience.
At work, or encrypt the heck out of your traffic, or RC into a home system when visiting websites, especialy sites like ATS when your involved with goverment contractors.

First of, employers are alowed to fire anyone for any non work related email and website traffic, doesn't matter if its ATS or the AOL loney tune club.

Second, when you work for the goverment, loyalty and secrecy are main points. Visiting sites like ATS and other where alot of information is shared, is a liability.

You should've been smarter in what you do.

And btw, knowing hackers or being one is the least of a goverments concern. I know alot of hackers from alot of nations with wrapsheets you can't even imagine. They are assets, not liability's.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
And btw, knowing hackers or being one is the least of a goverments concern. I know alot of hackers from alot of nations with wrapsheets you can't even imagine. They are assets, not liability's.

Agreed. The only time they would be interested in you knowing "hackers", would be when they want to hire them!

[edit on 18-7-2004 by MetalHead]

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 02:50 AM
link   
You have to admit that their actions are not completely unfounded. I imagine that you had access to sensitive/classified material in the position that you held, and visiting a site called �Above Top Secret� probably sent someone�s blood pressure through the roof.

In any case, sorry for you loss. It must have sucked not being able to explain yourself to anyone. Good luck getting back on your feet; knowing how those �hackers� operate might come in handy.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Sorry,

You are all wrong, the military and government in general appreciates the insight fullness that emanates from this site. I could give you an e-mail to con firm. However that would turn my hand. Suffice it to say the www. is a pure democracy in that there are no secretes
guess [email protected]

Couldn't help myself,

TUT

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 08:24 AM
link   
sorry to hear that, that really sucks. although its definately i sign that there are people in that fear for what we stand for. looks like we have more power and influence than we originally thought.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Too much of free thinker. Sorry your buddy got you fired, I think that was part of it. Your buddy Ratted on you.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 06:06 PM
link   
For some reason, I would Imagine a Senior SysAd for a military base would have a little better grammar. I also don't think one would have a user name like 'downkaos'.

Sorry, but I ain't buyin' it

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Ain't buying it?

My personal line there was 618-229-4915 my bosses name was Sheri. Sorry my grammer is bad but I was typing this after 22 hours of being awake.

This is a very true story and it really sucks.

My specific reason for termination was that I visited this site, not for consorting with "hackers".

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by downkaos
Hello all,

My name is Ross Hosman and up until mid june I was the Senoir System Administrator for Information Protection at Scott AFB, IL (under USTRANSCOM). I managed 200+ solaris systems for the government contractor NCI. One day a co-worker and I were having a discussion about hackers (he was our snoir security engineer who didn't even own a home computer) because he previously, that morning, made a presentation on hackers. During his presentation all of his information was from hacking during the early to mid 90s and nothing recent. I told him my concerns and what I thought we should focus on and that I knew a few "hackers" and that they don't operate like he was saying.

Two weeks later my senoir boss comes in with a colonel from OSI (office of special investigations). They had been monitoring my work and internet activity. Anyway I was immediately pulled from my chair and taken into a side room and stripped of my security badges pending further investigation. A few days later I found out their investigation was complete and they did not want me back because I visited one website, this one right here.

I was never given the chance to explain myself or defend myself against any accusations. All they were focused on was me visiting thise one site.

There are alot of people that dont like this board including some of the people that continuely visit this board it may not mean much because I dont know when you joined ats but welcome to the club of fired government personal. It's not just the military that has been booting people out of gov I know alot of people in military and government position's that have been let go for just doing there job. Why I do feel sorry for you losing your position I can hold a degree of sympothy to you and other's that have been let go just by visiting website's. Depending on how much heat you bring gov or people that are in a polticial position = the ammount of heat you recive. But this back's up somthing I have said about ats for year's now it might bring the up the topic about how many time's ats has been hacked.

On the other hand here's what I would do I dont know the detail's of the full scale of what happened but I would file a claim with the federal whistleblower protection agency. This way with what ever document's you have or the statement's pertaining to what has happened in on the record and if more hurassment come's your way you then have a case for a lawsuit.

That may be a bad way to look at it sueing the people that you worked for but it was them who ignored what you were trying to get across to them.

One other thing.

If you file the claim you should explain that your career could be in danger if your name is made public on the claim to the Federal whistleblower protection agency. Making that public to them you can file under a different name.

Good Luck.

Falcon

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
Too much of free thinker. Sorry your buddy got you fired, I think that was part of it. Your buddy Ratted on you.

He wasn't a buddy trust me. I don't understand how a guy who dosen't even own a home computer is head of system security.

I wish I could go into more detail but a lot of the things we talked about were classified and I wouldn't put it past them to arrest me for making classified material public.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
ATS is fueled by people who want to share 'secrets' and info regarding governments. Some posters are just whacky new agers, others are quite serious in what they do....

...either way, they were probably worried that you would either tip off some serious researchers about a project or that you had become some type of occultic person. Traitor or weirdo, they wouldn't want you on the base.

Now... you and I both know that you are neither a traitor or a weirdo, but do you really think some OSI dude is going to take a chance concerning your personality?

One question: were you a member before you were fired? Did you just visit ATS once while doing an internet search? If you were already a member, I could see why they would can you... however, if you were doing legit research and this site came up... it means that they have taken note of it (which either means that we have great info here... or we look like violent nutjobs).

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I was a member but had only posted once to introduce myself.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 07:22 PM
link   
downkaos,

First of all what type of clearance did you have, and If you were working for a contractor what are the stipulations of your contract or do you have a contract at all.?

It does not sound right? Why? I am not going to go into details but I know.

It was more in your dismissal than just surfing a web site.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by downkaos
I was a member but had only posted once to introduce myself.

Hi downkaos,

I am sure you are not the first governmental employee that has been ostracized in this manner.

If ATS wasn't on to something in a number of areas, the feds would not be so worried about your affiliation with us.

Don't feel that you have to divulge explicit details to those in this forum who wish to dissect your case. They would not have to deal with the consequences of that exposure, you would.

They/we know enough about you already.

Best of luck in finding gainful employment.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   
wel downkaos..stay strong and ...something to think about for the rest of you....(no offense downkaos) assuming it is ligit...what does that say about the reputation/information disimenated on ATS?? the closer one gets to the truth, the more people try to discredit you.........
downkaos...time for a change.........good luck

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   

I wish I could go into more detail but a lot of the things we talked about were classified and I wouldn't put it past them to arrest me for making classified material public

Neither would I,... in fact I pray to God that they would.
You expect them to send you flowers?

I'm having a hard time believing a "Senoir[sic] System Administrator" could misspell the word "senior" three times.

Maybe they had other reasons to fire you...

(and btw "dosen't" is spelled "doesn't")

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   
*deleted,...sorry*

[edit on 19-7-2004 by smirkley]

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   
im in the millitary not intel or anything and visit this site often at work on my lunch break! looks like i better go back to good ol yahoo games!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join