It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALERT: Monsanto Shifts ALL Liability to Farmers!

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Well looks like Monsanto is at it again. This corporate giant seems to have no bounds and no care for the destruction it causes and may cause in the future.

Here is the paragraph that defines Monsanto's limit of liability that shifts it to the farmer:

"GROWER'S EXCLUSIVE LIMITED REMEDY: THE EXCLUSIVE REMEDY OF THE GROWER AND THE LIMIT OF THE LIABILITY OF MONSANTO OR ANY SELLER FOR ANY AND ALL LOSSES, INJURY OR DAMAGES RESULTING FROM THE USE OR HANDLING OF SEED (INCLUDING CLAIMS BASED IN CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE, PRODUCT LIABILITY, STRICT LIABILITY, TORT, OR OTHERWISE) SHALL BE THE PRICE PAID BY THE GROWER FOR THE QUANTITY OF THE SEED INVOLVED OR, AT THE ELECTION OF MONSANTO OR THE SEED SELLER, THE REPLACEMENT OF THE SEED. IN NO EVENT SHALL MONSANTO OR ANY SELLER BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES."

www.truth-out.org...

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Monsanto needs to be shut down. IMMEDIATELY!!!

ok sorry for the emotional response but I'm so sick and tired of these corporations that have this entitlement to life and denies others. Knowingly marketing product that causes cancers in animals etc. At the very least they should be shut down on the premise that their product is hazardous to the ecological environment.

For risk of sounding like an animal rights nut (I'm not I just think that the environment and ecology should be considered) they are killing animals knowingly and grrr it makes me angry.

Someone should try and see where GMO crops have been planted. I'm curious to see if all the deaths of animals in lakes and birds have any correlation. What those really come down to is that no one knows or is saying anything.

Criminal

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Hmm, this might be like buying a chainsaw. In the fine print, the makers might state that no liability shall be the manufacturers fault if you decide to hack people animals and buildings up.

Same for the seed makers. In the fine print, the makers state that no liability shall be the manufacturers fault if you decide to plant these seeds and destroy humanity, animal life and the world as we know it.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
So, Monsanto can now genetically modify seeds to do anything they want them to but because they don't physically plant the seeds its not their fault what they will do to people and the surrounding environment?

If your product's sole purpose is to be planted into the ground to grow and you genetically modified its structure to contain certain traits how is it not your products fault if it kills animals and contaminates the environment like a virus?

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

How can they release themselves from liability when they won't even admit that their product is harmful in the first place??? I could understand if Monsanto had a label which stated, "WARNING: May cause species die-off, cancer, mutation, and/or rectal bleeding." THEN it would be the fault of the farmers to use the product despite the warnings. BUT if the farmers don't even know what they may be liable for, how can they be held liable???

It's like someone trying to sue the tobacco companies when they know it can cause cancer or other illness. Or someone suing Tylenol after they fell asleep at the wheel, crashed and killed somebody despite the warnings that it Tylenol PM could cause marked drowsiness, don't operate heavy machinery.

How can a company not be held liable for "damages" when it never alerted the user to what those "damages" may be? Otherwise, they are simply saying, "Use at your own risk." In which case, it's a perfect example for why farmers should not be using this crap.

edit to add: I should state that my argument is aimed towards holding the farmers that signed this release accountable. I don't think, if hey ignorantly or otherwise signed this contract, that they should be held solely liable if Monsanto never even alerted them to what kind of liabilities they could be facing.
edit on 27-2-2011 by nunya13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

Another move by Monsanto's to monopolize the very seeds of life.

Monsanto - No Food Shall Be Grown That We Dont Own -

This is even more insidious, as the experiment is well underway, and Monsantos liability grows everytime the wind blows. So they by nefarious means will now own the sees that are on non GMO farmland also, and by this legal agrrement they have now gained legal ownership of the farmland itself.

Is truely madly diabolical.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f72652d2df72.jpg[/atsimg]
www.sl-webs.com...

Thanks for posting OP,

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Go Monsanto go !
Now you are heading down where the average all american farmer actually start scratching his
big beefy red neck and starts to wonder if the monsanto ride is really as cosy as he had been led to believe.
But hey its good for business right ?? Just sign the friggen thing and get on with it,those guys wouldn´t screw us,would they ? Besides its an american company ,right?! Hardi har har...
I wonder if there are any discussions of this topic in the farmers monthly, probably not as it should also be owned by the monsanto `` holymountain`` empire. Boy those folks must be going ballistic now,otherwise they would not try such an obvious move. Truely amazing how death monger companies like monsanto have managed to keep on
doing business after showing their true colours time and time again. It must be the inherent american believe in capitalism which excuses any kind of diabolical plan as long as you remember to say,hey,we were just trying to make a buck...,we didn´t want to harm anyone,there was no evidence that we could see,etc,etc...

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by wiredamerican

You would be correct, IF....said chainsaw had the ability to start it'self and travel freely.
They are selling GM disease is all.
Monsanto needs to be stopped.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I'm sure most of America's food supply relies on the farmers that have yet to sign on to Monsanto, so why not just keep most of the food for themselves, or just land bank, all you do is have to eat and have medical care to live, money is just used to buy luxury's. I would hate to be in there position.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
As far as I'm concerned, Monsanto is cutting their own throat, just as all the other criminal organizations are like Big Pharma. They are losing credibility daily. Go ahead, keep bullying the world. Show the world what kind arse holes you really are. That black eye is coming to you in the not so distant future.

What we need to do as citizens is completely drop our support for anything that has their hands on it.

That means Roundup sits on the shelf, and doesn't get bought. Corn in your grocery store sits there, unless it is proven to be other than Monsanto corn. Any food that Monsanto produces, we leave in the store. As much as we can, we pull our support for Monsanto. They cannot make money if we don't buy their stuff.

And, if you have a yard, or a window where you can let light in, you grow that garden. You section off a piece of your land for a garden, and tell Monsanto to shove it. You peacefully refuse to let them control what you eat.

I don't care if you are a law enforcement agent, a millionaire, a poor guy, a middle classed guy, a state or government worker, you put that garden out in your yard, and plant your non-GMO garden. And, proclaim your liberty! And, save your seeds.

If you are a farmer, I would strongly encourage you to drop the GMO crops and grow something else.

Monsanto is already going to destroy itself, we're just going to accelerate their downfall.

Troy

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I just want to make sure I have this straight-

Smith&Wesson makes a gun and somebody else makes a bullet. A human puts the bullet in the gun and kills someone. The family of the dead person successfully sues S&W because, well, obviously S&W was at fault for someone else's actions.

However,

Monsanto makes frankenseeds and they are not liable for any damage becasue it is the fault of the person who sowed the seed?

Ok, now that I've seen it in writing...well, it's still insane.

With that said, it's just legal garbage that carries no weight whatsoever. I had a stereo stolen out of a car about 20 years ago while the car was in a transmission shop. They had the big sign about not being responsible for lost, stolen items, blah, blah, blah. I sued them in small claims court and won. The guy mentioned his sign and the judge laughed at him.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
The unfortunate thing is, the farmers have no choice but to sign it and move on, or otherwise they won't have a farm anymore.

Just like many corporations, Monsanto is the boss. That means if the farmers are going to be planting seeds for Monsanto, it has to be Monsanto seeds. It's like any major conglomerate you see today. E.g., One opens a McDonald's, the burgers are made a certain way, packaged in a certain way and this that and the other. Everything represents the name and face of McDonald's and the standards that they uphold to the restaurant owner must be met or the contract will be void. Let's think for a moment though years and years back. When the lady put the "unmarked/unlabeled" hot coffee between her legs, and haphazardly spilled it, who got sued for that explosive lawsuit that hit the media all over? McDonalds! Did the local restaurant where the situation stemmed from have to pay the multi-million dollar lawsuit court order? NO. The corporation did. And what happened thereafter? "Caution: Product May Be Hot" or something along those lines started appearing everywhere hot liquids were to be found leaving that situation never again to be a problem.

So how does this all snap together? Certainly not as fun as LEGOS, but i'll certainly say that Monsanto just took the biggest step to protect themselves from seeing a lawsuit involving a "spilled coffee cup". Although there isn't small writing on the seeds, the small writing is in the OP's quote. A written agreement. Signature of the farmers which is consent of their souls on a piece of paper. What does that mean in court? PShhhh.... EVERYTHING.

Let's take this out one more step. What in the world will you get out of a farmer growing Monsanto's seeds. Certainly not the support (monetarily) as one would from Monsanto if this were in there hands. The blood hasn't been shed yet, but when it comes time to wash hands, the farmers will have next to nothing except a corporate shadow looming free in the background and the American population down their throats. While some will feel Monsanto should be held responsible, it unfortunately won't happen that way.

But shouldn't Monsanto ultimately be held responsible?
the farmers answer: yes
Monsanto's answer: Well our documentation here, (hands contracts over) states this... blah blah...
End of hearing.

So what's happening here?
The farmers have just become a scapegoat for the rich corporation we know as Monsanto. They are set-up for the outcome that will be in the future. Whatever economic, environmental or social affect the seeds will have will be traced right back to the grower, not the supplier. Ultimately, until farmers speak out, there's no chance to win the unwaged war against GMO.

Something needs to be done. I'm just not sure how to go about doing it. That's half the problem with threads we read everyday like this one. It's great we can get it out in the form of electronic communication, but in this case, I'm really at a loss. If anything, the powers of forums like these aren't be used to its full potential. We have the ability to start something across the nation, and across the globe. When one voice isn't enough, one would look for help. All we are looking for are stars and flags and "good reads". If we can organize our thoughts, sources and other information into these threads, why not start organizing our thoughts, resources and facts OUT there. In the public eye, in the face of Monsanto. We can be the liberators for the farmers. If you can find a ton of sources for UFO's, Conspiracies, etc, think of what we all can do to research, accrue and log a case to hit home against an evil corporation like Monsanto.

Anybody know some really good lawyers that can build a case against Monsanto? Is there proof available? Documentation of ecological and human consumption affects? If someone doesn't act now, it will never happen folks and that's the said truth.

A mind is powerful, but peace of minds is lethal. Don't let farmers be exploited any longer!

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
We're going to have to stand up to them. If Monsanto hassles a farmer, we capture it on film, and we make the video viral. They threaten a farmer on the phone, we record it, and we make that viral. The slime balls are going down.

The easiest thing we can do as citizens is to stop buying their products. They aren't going to make much money if we don't buy their stuff.

Monsanto has no legal right to tell us what we can and cannot eat. They don't have rights to anything, they are criminals.

Troy

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by TV_Nation

"GROWER'S EXCLUSIVE LIMITED REMEDY: THE EXCLUSIVE REMEDY OF THE GROWER AND THE LIMIT OF THE LIABILITY OF MONSANTO OR ANY SELLER FOR ANY AND ALL LOSSES, INJURY OR DAMAGES RESULTING FROM THE USE OR HANDLING OF SEED (INCLUDING CLAIMS BASED IN CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE, PRODUCT LIABILITY, STRICT LIABILITY, TORT, OR OTHERWISE) SHALL BE THE PRICE PAID BY THE GROWER FOR THE QUANTITY OF THE SEED INVOLVED OR, AT THE ELECTION OF MONSANTO OR THE SEED SELLER, THE REPLACEMENT OF THE SEED. IN NO EVENT SHALL MONSANTO OR ANY SELLER BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES."

What the hell is exactly the problem with what they've stated? It's MORE than fair. They'll REFUND you the cost you paid for the seeds.

You bought them. You are taking responsibility for what they do.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Here is how its works.

You plant a NON GM corn crop.

The farmer down the road plants Monsanto GM corn.

The Monsanto gestapo raid you field and find its got Monsanto GM corn after its been contaminated by the farmer down the road.

Now when you go to court you can not counter sue Monsanto because there product contaminated your fields.
you can not even bring it up in court in your defence because its no longer Monsanto's fault as the farmer down the road assumes liability.

Monsanto now gets to sue you but you can not sue them. You can now sue the farmer down the road but good luck getting anything near what it cost to fight Monsanto,

There are now a number of organic farmers getting there seeds certified as non GM by federal approved labs just to protect there crops that they plan to export to countries that don't allow GM products.
If there crops do get contaminated they can not now sue Monsanto.
Some judges may rule in favor of Monsanto some may not. Time will tell.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by TV_Nation
Well looks like Monsanto is at it again. This corporate giant seems to have no bounds and no care for the destruction it causes and may cause in the future.

Here is the paragraph that defines Monsanto's limit of liability that shifts it to the farmer:

www.truth-out.org...

Correct me if I am wrong, but I read it is monsanto protecting themselves from the farmer, rather than shifting other court cases to the farmer.

For example, say a farmer spends $5000 on the seeds (I have no idea what a crop-worth of seeds is really worth), plants the seeds and due to a quality-control issue (for example) the seeds don't grow so the farmer loses a whole season worth of crops and therefore possibly his farm, etc.

By signing the agreement, the farmer has no recourse except to replace the faulty seeds. The farmer can't sue monsanto for the monetary value of the lost crops or other damages, etc.

In saying that, I can't watch the video so let me know if there was more info in the video.
edit on 28/2/11 by GobbledokTChipeater because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
And what does Obama do...

On April 2, 2010, U.S. President Barack Obama named Siddiqui to the post of Chief Agricultural Negotiator in a recess appointment

Islam A. Siddiqui

From 2001 to 2003, Siddiqui was a registered lobbyist with CropLife America, representing biotechnology companies including BASF, Bayer CropScience, Dow AgroSciences, DuPont, FMC Corp., Monsanto, Sumitomo, and Syngenta.

Siddiqui is a supporter of genetically modified foods (GMO foods) for human consumption, and repudiates their potential health risks. In 1999 he worked against the mandatory labeling of GMO foods in Japan, stating that such labeling "would suggest a health risk where there is none."[1] In 2003, he criticized the European Union's precautionary rejection of the importation of GMO's, stating that the ban was tantamount to "denying food to starving people."[2] In 2009 he called for a "second green revolution" employing biotechnology and genetic engineering.[3]

In 1998, as Under Secretary for Marketing and Regulatory Programs at the United States Department of Agriculture, Siddiqui oversaw the release of the National Organic Program's standards for organic food labeling. The standards permitted both irradiated and GMO foods to be labeled as organic.[4] (The standards were subsequently revised in response to public opposition.)

The guy's a piece of trash.

WikiLeaks Cables Reveal U.S. Sought to Retaliate Against Europe over Monsanto GM Crops

US government : totally controlled by the GMO industry...

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Nice. That move is extremely telling and really goes to show who your representatives are in it for (if you didn't already know).

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
How do real social issues like this get overlooked on this forum?!
Bumpity Bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This giant needs it's head chopped off. It really sickens me how they
bully farmers.

new topics

top topics

join