It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Analysts: More Libyan bloodshed could prompt U.S., NATO intervention

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
there you go

news.sky.com...

looks like things will get alot worse, man this guy wont give it up. get my good friends down there to kick his ass out.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

It has happened before and it will happen again. And who will suffer? Those following orders. And those people in Lybia.

not necessarily

maybe I'm just a naive peacenik...

but, a peacenik that recognizes that sometimes we don't get to go the peaceful route

I'm an American - my reputation is crap worldwide pretty much. However much contempt and derision we do or don't deserve - well - we can argue about that later. And we will.

I would still rather not watch this happen right in front of our eyes and do nothing - like Rwanda (and a few others I could mention)

but invasion isn't even necessary - there are options

it's chaos there right now - many people are looking for a reason - or an excuse - to opt out

two short pieces by the same guy:

So a trusted intermediary made an appeal to me: Could NATO or the United States assure safe passage to Malta if the ships were to declare that they are no longer obeying Qaddafi orders?

kristof.blogs.nytimes.com...
www.nytimes.com...

the world could make it just that much easier for them - that's all

I have no idea if this woman represents the majority opinion there right now - or not. But I understand her:

Perhaps it's that optimism that leads Rahma to contradict demands some of her fellow Libyans have been making in the past week for European Union or NATO forces to intervene in the conflict and end it faster. "This is something Libyans must do without outside help," she says. Intervention may turn Libya into "the next Iraq or Afghanistan." "We ask and will gratefully accept economic and development aid and help to reconstruct the country. But we need to do this on our own, without foreign intervention."

www.time.com...

thing is - no way of knowing how bad bad can get. I take that back - we've all seen how bad bad gets - it's happened over and over in conflicts all over the world. How long do we just sit and wait - and watch? If we can't help but err - do we err on the side of caution now - or do we make excuses later?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Thanks everyone, for your thoughtful posts.

I would just like to say that I agree with everyone who says we should not invade Libya but wouldn't it be great if we could see in that country what we SHOULD have seen in New Orleans? Military planes dropping aid supplies throughout a region/s in need to show solidarity with the people!

This is after all a civil matter so any type of invasion would only throw off the natural balance that would/should be achieved by the local populace. HOWEVER with a fight perhaps so unfair as to have bombs dropped on protesters by the countries leaders I might not have a problem secretly dropping a couple bombs strategically myself to sort of level the playing field (no pun intended). That would be a tough call either way though!

AS

<< 1  2   >>

join