It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Spouses Become More Alike Over Time?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
We’ve all seen the pictures of married couples who, like owners and their dogs, begin to look alike over the years,There’s even a prevalent theory out there that if you live with your mate for long enough, you’ll start to act alike and share more common traits..

I have noticed my husband and i have used the same phrases & often times the same terminology simply because we spend so much time together,Ive also noticed couples sometimes start looking like brother and sister instead of husband and wife. Do you think this theory is true?? Id love to hear your ideas..

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Definitely! You also end up with hundreds of in jokes with your partner which no one else understands or finds remotely funny, yet to the both of you it's hilarious. I have picked up loads of my girlfriends phrases and she has picked up plenty of mine too.

She claims also that I have made her more cynical
never good to do that to people. So I have been trying to counteract this as of late. I like to think I am a realist but maybe not.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Lol this is a cute thread, so I'll bite.
When my husband and I first got married (my guy is a bit of a nerd) my guilty pleasure when he wasn't home was reading his comic book collection and game books. It's something he is pretty passionate about and something as a child he really loved. So for awhile it was more of a way to find a conversation and get to know him more. I never really played video games before but every once in awhile I'll pick up the controller and "thumb mash" the keys to try win hahahah. Somedays without planning it my husband and I will wear the same color clothes, I usually catch before we go out in public and demand to draw straws to see who changes their outfit. As for the looking a like thing we both have brown hair and dark eyes, but no one has ever said we look a like...not yet anyways.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

S & F. I think it does happen. My girlfriend and I have picked up each other's traits and habits over the ten years we've been together. Definitely think you got something there.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

You become one is what happens and sounds like your moving into the one or there. Anyhow I been married 22 years and we dont even have to talk most the time, our looks or actions speak to each other. It is nice to have this lengthy expewrienced marriage but at the same time, sometimes we have to strive to find new for ourselves and marriage. Anyhow have fun with your lengthy marraige which nowadays is anytime over 3 to 5 years...

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
Definitely! You also end up with hundreds of in jokes with your partner which no one else understands or finds remotely funny, yet to the both of you it's hilarious. I have picked up loads of my girlfriends phrases and she has picked up plenty of mine too.

She claims also that I have made her more cynical
never good to do that to people. So I have been trying to counteract this as of late. I like to think I am a realist but maybe not.

My husband and i have done that also with the jokes! Ive told some of our jokes to friends and they look at me like okkkkkkkkkk but the hubby and me find then side splitting..

I have to admit I'm more cynical then my husband he tends to believe a person on there word i have a hard time with that..Thanks for the reply

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by oldsoulnewmind

Lol this is a cute thread, so I'll bite.
When my husband and I first got married (my guy is a bit of a nerd) my guilty pleasure when he wasn't home was reading his comic book collection and game books. It's something he is pretty passionate about and something as a child he really loved. So for awhile it was more of a way to find a conversation and get to know him more. I never really played video games before but every once in awhile I'll pick up the controller and "thumb mash" the keys to try win hahahah. Somedays without planning it my husband and I will wear the same color clothes, I usually catch before we go out in public and demand to draw straws to see who changes their outfit. As for the looking a like thing we both have brown hair and dark eyes, but no one has ever said we look a like...not yet anyways.

I'm glad you like the thread my aunt and i talk about this kinda stuff when we have coffee twice a week..I think reading his comic book collection and game books was a great idea and a very good idea to be able to have a good conversation about something he loves and you like!

I'm not a big video game person my hubby is great at it but i fail at it in the worse way! so i watch hI'm play and he likes to show off how good he is at it ..

Ive never had the experience of wearing the same color clothes ..my husband likes to were black and I'm more into colors,but you never know as tI'me goes on i might decide i like black also
thanks so much for replying

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger

S & F. I think it does happen. My girlfriend and I have picked up each other's traits and habits over the ten years we've been together. Definitely think you got something there.

Thanks for the reply! I know my husband and i have picked up each other's traits and habits to the point its almost scary..

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by prexparte

You become one is what happens and sounds like your moving into the one or there. Anyhow I been married 22 years and we dont even have to talk most the time, our looks or actions speak to each other. It is nice to have this lengthy expewrienced marriage but at the same time, sometimes we have to strive to find new for ourselves and marriage. Anyhow have fun with your lengthy marraige which nowadays is anytime over 3 to 5 years...

Ive been married 6 years and its been a very happy one we have our ups and downs like everyone else..I have notice in the 6 years of being together our views on different subjects had changed and sometimes leads to small arguments but in the end we work them out..thanks for your reply!

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Sure they do. Just as any group of people develop a "culture", so do a couple (or even a circle of friends).
For example, my group of friends has been together for over a decade for the core members (less so for their spouses, but still, they are part of the "tribe").

We have certain shared interests, ways of talking, even ways of dressing, etc. I guess it's just in our nature to do so.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

Ten years and still your "girlfriend"...man, she has the patience of a saint!

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Sure they do. Just as any group of people develop a "culture", so do a couple (or even a circle of friends).
For example, my group of friends has been together for over a decade for the core members (less so for their spouses, but still, they are part of the "tribe").

We have certain shared interests, ways of talking, even ways of dressing, etc. I guess it's just in our nature to do so.

I never thought about groups of friends being so much alike but now that you made me aware of it that's very true!

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Hi cookie, guess who??!!!

Interesting that you would post this subject.
It jogged my memory back to when I was in grade school
and the teacher made a remark as to how married couples
start to look alike as they grow older together. We all laughed
and I forgot about it until I read this thread, but you know it's very
true as has been stated in some of the previous post's of which I
entirely agree with. What I would like to know is how does this happen?
Is there some type of positive energy or aura that is somehow exchanged
between two people? Would be interested in other opinions on this aspect
of it. Dont have time to make a thread or reply to one of my own creation.
Maybe you would like to "thread" it as you seem to be very good at "threading".
Your friend LEO.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by 43LEO729
Hi cookie, guess who??!!!

Interesting that you would post this subject.
It jogged my memory back to when I was in grade school
and the teacher made a remark as to how married couples
start to look alike as they grow older together. We all laughed
and I forgot about it until I read this thread, but you know it's very
true as has been stated in some of the previous post's of which I
entirely agree with. What I would like to know is how does this happen?
Is there some type of positive energy or aura that is somehow exchanged
between two people? Would be interested in other opinions on this aspect
of it. Dont have time to make a thread or reply to one of my own creation.
Maybe you would like to "thread" it as you seem to be very good at "threading".
Your friend LEO.

Hiya Leo!!

I have no idea how it happens maybe its because were so close that our actions just rub off on each other i think that even happens to like college students that room together for any length of time..I will make a thread on that one
I haven't felt very good for the last few days so i haven't started any new threads..but Ive missed you i was going to msg you today but i see your around!~~cookie

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Basically, it's the accumulation of inside jokes. As they build up over time, creates a culture.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Your right i never thought about that but its very true

new topics

top topics

join