It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

February 24, 2011 Bizarre Alien Matter Discovered at Core of Supernova Neutron Star

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Bizarre Alien Matter Discovered at Core of Supernova Neutron Star

www.dailygalaxy.com

Evidence for a bizarre state of matter has been found in the dense core of the star left behind, a so-called neutron star, based on cooling observed over a decade of Chandra observations. NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory discovered the first direct evidence for a superfluid, a bizarre, friction-free state of matter, at the core of Cassiopeia A. Superfluids created in laboratories on Earth exhibit remarkable properties, such as the ability to climb upward and escape airtight containers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 24-2-2011 by Ph0en1x because: Headline

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Another new discovery by the Chandra X-ray observatory. Once again, our view on how something works in the universe has changed. These are exciting times for science and discovery, I can't wait to see what else the universe has in store for us. Probably things that we have never even thought about yet. Just goes to show how advanced knowledge we THINK we have and how much knowledge we actually have.

www.dailygalaxy.com
edit on 24-2-2011 by Ph0en1x because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Can a mod please change the headline to remove the date. I copied/pasted the headline from the article and somehow ended up pasting the date with it as well. Now I can't edit it. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Ph0en1x

Curious, they should get Eddie Murphy in on this one,

so this is recreated in a lab on earth and it can defy gravity? very interesting

funbox

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
My first thought was that some janitor is drinking the liquid, and the next day the researchers are scratching their heads wondering how the fluid managed to escape air-tight container.

Jokes aside, I love discoveries like this ... they really let the imagination run wild. What are the possible applications, and will the application be military or peaceful?

PS That is a stunning photo on the original article.
edit on 24/2/2011 by deltaalphanovember because: added my ps

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Ph0en1x

Awesome discovery! Imagine what they could do with this matter.
It's also a bit scary though to encounter something no one has seen before.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Bee2010

It is actually a known phenomenon and has been made in the lab a number of times. The reason this is so different is that under our conditions, this superfluid state is achieved under very low temperature approaching absolute zero. However, it was detected on a neutron star where the temperature can be billions of degrees. From what we knew, this superfluid state could not exist at high temperatures. Shows you how little we know....

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaalphanovember
Jokes aside, I love discoveries like this ... they really let the imagination run wild. What are the possible applications, and will the application be military or peaceful?

PS That is a stunning photo on the original article.
edit on 24/2/2011 by deltaalphanovember because: added my ps

Not sure if there will be any military/peaceful applications for this...only time will tell. First we'd have to get such conditions in a lab to make a superfluid. We can make it right now with ultra low temperatures (close to absolute zero) but making it at billions of degrees? I don't think we are anywhere close to that.

Yes, the picture really is stunning

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Ph0en1x

Well , I dont know that you are correct in your assertion that there are no practical military , or peaceful/civilian uses for superfluid state matter.
For one thing, although its true that thus far the superfluid state has only been created in the lab at super low temperatures, or in nature in the guts of a neutron star at just under a billion degrees celcius, that doesnt mean that those are the only temperatures at which superfluidity might occur after further research.
Going forward twenty , thirty years, and assuming that advances are made which allow this superfluid to be contained in a useful environment , the friction free properties of this stuff could be amazingly useful to industry. We are told that this superfluid matter can be used as a superconductor, and never looses energy ... just this alone offers up many amazing possibilities. We could see this stuff used as part of a massive computational structure, or as a component in the hadron colliders of the future, or even as a part of a super velocity engine.
Just knowing that the stuff exists will give scientists and technological engineers ideas , and promote speculation in those feilds that will almost undoubtedly lead to advances in both areas that will eventualy see our time as being positively stone age in comparison to our future!
I cannot WAIT to see what the planets boffins make of this !

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I find it interesting that they can see all this, yet they can't decide if there is a massive planet 4 times the size of jupiter in our solar system....

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
i dont believe in neutron stars....they are pulsars ....

electric pulses from one star to the next.....like tesla discovered.

ELECTRIC SUN ME THINKS....DARK SPOTS INDICATE COOLER CENTRE.

ohh this could be an interdimensional element...deeeeeeeep

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh
i dont believe in neutron stars....they are pulsars ....

electric pulses from one star to the next.....like tesla discovered.

ELECTRIC SUN ME THINKS....DARK SPOTS INDICATE COOLER CENTRE.

ohh this could be an interdimensional element...deeeeeeeep

I understand, I also don't believe in water.

edit on 24-2-2011 by BobbyTarass because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by BobbyTarass

I don't believe in nothing. Go on, show me some nothing. You can't, so ner!!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
So, have we found infinite energy?
I guess we will not use it anyways.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

beauty

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Farnhold
So, have we found infinite energy?
I guess we will not use it anyways.

We already have - and you're right. The public sector does not get it - because money will vanish, removing control over others in favor of autonomous control over self.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ph0en1x

Bizarre Alien Matter Discovered at Core of Supernova Neutron Star

www.dailygalaxy.com

Evidence for a bizarre state of matter has been found in the dense core of the star left behind, a so-called neutron star, based on cooling observed over a decade of Chandra observations. NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory discovered the first direct evidence for a superfluid, a bizarre, friction-free state of matter, at the core of Cassiopeia A. Superfluids created in laboratories on Earth exhibit remarkable properties, such as the ability to climb upward and escape airtight containers.

Well, excuse me, maybe i am a low intelligent being, but matter with attribute of intelligence with abbility to climb upward and escape airtight containers?
If this is true, than i will shoot myself instantly.
All the same, S&F

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
very"cool"! thanks for posting...

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Excellent post and good find! I was going to post a new thread but did a search just in case. I really enjoy these types of discoveries. Here is another article describing this new find:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8298633482d6.jpg[/atsimg]
X-ray Image: NASA/CXC/UNAM/Ioffe/D.Page,P.Shternin et al; Optical Image: NASA/STScI; Illustration: NASA/CXC/M.Weiss

Cassiopeia A (Cas A) was a massive star 11,000 light-years away whose explosion was observed from Earth about 330 years ago. The supernova left behind a tiny, compact body called a neutron star, in which matter is so densely packed that electrons and protons are forced to fuse into neutrons. Neutron star material is some of the most extreme matter in the universe. Just a teaspoonful of neutron star stuff weighs about 6 billion tons.

According to the Physics Review Letter abstract:

Rapid Cooling of the Neutron Star in Cassiopeia A Triggered by Neutron Superfluidity in Dense Matter

We propose that the observed cooling of the neutron star in Cassiopeia A is due to enhanced neutrino emission from the recent onset of the breaking and formation of neutron Cooper pairs in the 3P2 channel. We find that the critical temperature for this superfluid transition is ≃0.5×109  K. The observed rapidity of the cooling implies that protons were already in a superconducting state with a larger critical temperature. This is the first direct evidence that superfluidity and superconductivity occur at supranuclear densities within neutron stars. Our prediction that this cooling will continue for several decades at the present rate can be tested by continuous monitoring of this neutron star. © 2011 American Physical Society

I'm trying to grasp the concept of a superfluid that has been observed only in super cold temperatures can exist in bone-crunching gravity in a neutron star? The heat and friction must be unfathomable.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join