It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has there ever been a libertarian dictator before?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Has there ever been a libertarian dictator before? I mean most of the dictators in history have been male dictators.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
That confuses the hell out of me. Libertarians cant be male?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Oxymoron: "libertarian dictator".
And they're always men as well - why do you think they call 'em "dick taters"?

ganjoa

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
No. That would be a contradiction in terms. There have been some pretty nice dictators though, like Ashoka.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I suppose it's possible to argue Napoleon Bonaparte, although I'm not sure he was a complete dictator in a totalitarian sense. Some consider him to be a great man and a military genius others (wrongly in my opinion) consider him to be a tyrant in the same vein as Hitler.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
First, your OP confuses me, why does it matter what gender they are? Second, the terms Libertarian and dictator together is one hell of a great oxymoron. Third, the closest to what you describe, even though it is an oxymoron, would have to have been Augusto Pinochet, IMO.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
I suppose it's possible to argue Napoleon Bonaparte, although I'm not sure he was a complete dictator in a totalitarian sense. Some consider him to be a great man and a military genius others (wrongly in my opinion) consider him to be a tyrant in the same vein as Hitler.

Most of the dictators are male.

most of the dictators are authoritarian.

why no female dictators?

Why no dictators that are authoritarian.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I already feel like my head is going to explode today. I really didn't need this.

What would a libertarian dictator dictate that you do? "You have to do what I tell you, but only if you really want to."

I'd embed a certain picture from the movie Scanners, but I think you all know what I'm talking about.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Asoka was an emperor actually

the only dictator that fought to preserve the freedoms of his people and could be considered thus a libertarian that comes to mind:

Lucius Cornelius Sulla

edit on 23-2-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: spellcheck

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

Emperor, Dictator... is there really much difference?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Depends on how you define "libertarian," I suppose.

After all, there's been no shortage of murderous, oppressive dictators that danced to the free market tune - which seems to be the absolute crux of Libertarianism, once you strip out the stuff about marijuana.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Yes in fact there have been several, in fact, they put out a list of them every single year.

here you go

They just all figured out that you don't necessarily need to run a country in order to be a dictator.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Justsomeguyhere

sure there are Emperor

Dictator

the devil is in the details.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

One of them is not even 40 yet

On Topic...

I would be considered a left libertarian and I'm male. I'm not even close of dictating anything.

new topics

top topics

join