It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus predicted in the Vedas

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Malcram

Bear in mind too that there may well be a distinct difference between repetitive PRAYER in order to atempt to supplicate God and get him to give you something, or so as to appear righteous before people and, on the other hand, meditative repetition to clear and focus the mind of frivolous distractions, 'purifying' it. There is a difference that the post you quoted does not identify. Jesus was talking about people imagining they will get things from God or be heard by him by babbling on repetitively, whereas this is NOT what is described above.

Star for you! Exactly what I meant to say with part of my post. Good to see that these things are being collectively noticed. I also liked your comment about the church selecting material to suit a possible agenda. For me, I find the Spirit of God in a Christian church; both literally and figuratively (the actual presence of God, gifts of the Holy Spirit etc - also the spirit of harmony between those that believe). Of course, not everything in church seems in line with what Christ taught; hence my issues with some of the doctrine and statements made by some Christians.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyInTheOintment

When people say : "God bless you" they are saying to God to bless "you" , but if afterwards they say "God damn you" then thanks to the power of the one who was told the first words the second words can be applied too, because people don't know but they have lot of power. The power of thinking is huge ! Sometimes people ask to God and achieve what was asked and thanks God - but they achieved it by themselves . Then when they are not answered God didn't want it to happen.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

I like your style. In many ways you seem like, and I use the world loosely, a Gnostic Christian, in that you are about personal experience rather than dogma. You're a Christian mystic. I imagine you would find much in common with mystics from many traditions around the world.

You might enjoy a book called The Mystic Christ, which discusses Jesus in the context of his commonality with spiritual teachers from eastern traditions.

Ps. Did you see my reply to you at the bottom of the previous page? I think we were posting at the same time.
edit on 23-2-2011 by Malcram because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Malcram

I am definitely open to the notion that God reveals Himself in different ways at different times, and that the core personality of God doesn't change. Humans interpret the messages wrong - God makes no errors...

For example: Christ said '...no man comes to the father except by me'. Fundamentalists interpret that as 'you must be a Christian or you will go to hell'. I see that as more of a: 'I am the High priest of the Universe, and I will be there to greet you on the other side. Make the choice, in the knowledge of who I am, to seek me while you live your life; don't wait until it's over!' I certainly don't see it as a threat - more as an opportunity. What father would threaten his children with something terrible in order to make them love him?

I'm not particularly well versed in many religions, but I do feel that there are some real paths, some counterfeit, some simplistic and some misguided. Some are destructive, and others are of little impact on those who take them up. I would rather not go into details of which I believe fall into which category (and there are probably other categories I could name), as that will only cause arguments. Each must determine their own path based on the gathering of knowledge for themselves. As an analogy it is our responsibility to look after our own property as far as reasonably possible; we cannot blame anyone else if we leave our car unlocked and it gets stolen. We must look after our 'self' even more carefully... Leaving our 'self' unlocked (through lack of knowledge or wilful bad actions) can lead to infiltration by 'inauspicious' influences.

Anyway, to summarise, I certainly believe God is a lot more gracious and flexible than people might have us believe.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by MightyWizard

What you're describing are common misconceptions of universal law. Just put aside preconceived notions of what other people have told you about God, and go ask for yourself*. Go to a church meeting in a charismatic church that doesn't preach hatred of others, or hardline 'hellfire damnation' stuff. Make sure they don't spend the whole meeting talking about how much money God will bless you with if you make a good tythe and offering. If they're humble, friendly and you see a sparkle in their eyes, that's the place to be. Get some prayer, some good conversation, and a nice cup of tea. It makes the world feel a lot brighter.

ETA * by 'ask for yourself' I meant 'ask God directly'. Sorry if that sounded confusing at all.. Prayer and contemplation, with the support of like-minded souls.
edit on 23-2-2011 by FlyInTheOintment because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Malcram

Thanks for your kind words! I have thought of myself as gnostic at times; it does seem close in several ways to how I feel about the whole religion thing...

I'll come back to the thread and doubtless talk things over some more; however, for tonight I'm very tired and it's very late here in the UK... Please bear with me and I'll be back tomorrow!

Cheers,

Fly

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

You embody one of the greatest teachings attributed to Jesus, but which so many Christians forget:

'Quit judging, that you may not be judged'.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Huh ?!? Can't you please re-read what you said ?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Noinden

dominicus, thus far you've only proven how immature you are. So again, with feeling, prove it to me.

you want me to prove to you that Im immature? I dont get it!

The philosophy espoused is diametrically opposed to that spoken of by Jesus, specifically where he spoke of the 'heathen' who prayed incorrectly through "vain repetition" (Matthew 6:7)

If we look at Jesus speaking a certain way to Jews, we will find that he had to speak "their" language so they would listen, using the OT as backup, and using the culture and its subtleties.

Whereas in the Vedas, mantras are no only a staple, found to be beneficial, but also that the cultures surrounding the Vedas had a different mindset..... it was easier then and for that culture for repetitions. Whereas for the Jews, they could have simply forgotten the mechanics of the art of Mantra ....and use there is tons of mechanics to it.....you can write volumes about the mechanics of Mantras.

Also Mantras are supported in Eastern Orthodoxy where one of the Saints was shown and given the "Jesus Prayer" mantra in a vision by Jesus himself.

So for myself, I see this as completely compatible and not at all at odds.

For me it means nothing ........

Have meditated, have investigated Christianity .....and its esoteric core is wholly legit to me, having found the source of consciousness, experienced the Holy Spirit which was promised by Jesus..... and so for me a Virgin Birth is completely compatible.

But also finding that the Vedas predict Jesus is HUGE to me. I adore the Vedas and especially Advaita Vedanta and find complete compatibility between all esoteric cores of proponents of God.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join