It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Womanly hygiene when shtf?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Okay, first off, let me say that I DID NOT want to create this thread. My wife however, wants to know. Here are the questions:

What will women do when shtf to keep clean in winter, using the creek without regular soap?
What will women do during their cycles?

Apparently my answers aren't good enough(anyone that has a wife understands this). I suggested just stocking up on bars of soap, just like we do with our other food products and whatnot and simply using them in some water source.

She wants to know if there are any alternative methods in case we don't have soap.

Any suggestions?

A2D

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
3 words: Cherokee hair tampons.

There ya go.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
This might help some: www.abovetopsecret.com... or this: www.abovetopsecret.com... and finally, this: www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 2/19/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Agree2Disagree

lunapads.com...

Washable pads and the diva cup. In addition, need plenty of soap and also recipes for making it.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Okay, first off, let me say that I DID NOT want to create this thread

Liar..!

What will women do when shtf to keep clean in winter, using the creek without regular soap?

The same thing they always have - adapt...

BTW - how's the weather in West Virginia..?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Suggest your wife talk to female military veterans. Being male, I never really inquired what women do when in the field and on long deployments. But they managed for sure. I have great respect for female soldiers I served with. They overcame and adapted and improvised. These sorts of subjects weren't something females, for the most part, were comfortable talking about with their male counterparts. Other than demanding some respect and consideration that they had gender related situations they needed to deal with.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Are you talking about substitutes for shotgun cleaners and manhole covers?

If so, in some rather backward-assed countries I was in, I understand that anything of cloth was not discarded, but cleaned and cut up and placed in a "ragbag."

I don't even know what in hell I'm doing trying to respond to this, as is probably becoming more and more evident.

Good luck, buddy.

You're on your own.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

We don't actually need anything to clean our bodies. They are designed so that over a period of 6 weeks the natural body oils keep them healthy. Yes we would smell for the 1st 6 weeks but after that the odour gets neutralised. Uncomfortable thought not to wash but actually not necessary.
As for the cycle, you can buy a *cup* that fits over the neck of the womb and just needs to be emptied every 6 hours or so.
Can't say we would like it but we would still be healthy, how often do you see gorillas take a bath and use shampoo?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

No roughing it, caveman days, and also, dying in childbirth are out of the question. The above link is a bandaid. Generators, solar, wind, and electromagnetic free energy. Keepign lots of inventors, engineers, scientiests, using hemp and cotton for paper making and clean technology. Imagine paper hemp toiletry, that is easily decomposed. Also plastic from a quick grown vegetable slurry. No set backs, just adjustment and then a new clean high tech advanced, equal world with good health and dental. Not joking, thats the goal.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Well...there are many reusable feminine hygiene products on the market. At this point in time, I couldn't bring myself to even consider trying them, but in an emergency situation...why not. As for the cleaning part, I'd imagine that if you have a water source, just keeping yourself cleansed with water will help. I'm sure there must be more "natural" ways to cleanse your body instead of using soap. I've heard of many people doing the no-soap/shampoo thing and claiming they have pretty good results. (not sure I believe them...they probably just have kind friends LOL) Besides...once all of us are stinky from lack of soap..noone will notice

Michelle

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by squizzy

We don't actually need anything to clean our bodies. They are designed so that over a period of 6 weeks the natural body oils keep them healthy. Yes we would smell for the 1st 6 weeks but after that the odour gets neutralised. Uncomfortable thought not to wash but actually not neces

I surely won't be bugging out with you guys and you won't be welcome in my retreat . 1 case of 24 bars of soap takes up a space of about 12 inches x 6 inches x 4 inches so why wouldn't you have it ? Shampoo , deodorant , tooth brushes and tooth paste also . No point at all in living like hogs . Pads and tampons sealed will last forever , weight nothing and take up little room . Obviously you have absolutely no experience because if you did you'd quickly realize that soldiers outside the wire can't wait to get back to clean up and it's the same for bush workers from tree planters to fire fighters . With a back pack pump water filter you can purify any water . Lets me guess , neither of you wants to wipe your azz either . If that's the extent of your planning and preparation you don't stand a chance of surviving .

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I have always been grateful to have been born in a time of deodorant, tampons, refrigeration, and toilet paper. Having read accounts of life in the middle ages, just the smell alone, no one bathed, the food was spoiled and rotted. It gives me the heebee geeebees just to think of it. I don't know that I would be able to stand it, if I had to use rags and tolerate those smells. I suppose it beats being dead, but not by much in my book. Shallow and spoiled, that's me.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

Let me say this...if you think women "adapt"...you don't know my wife =)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Sponges work well. They can be rinsed and reused. Stock up on a dozen or so.

yeah it would be messy but better than doing without.

Get real sponges also not the synthetic ones.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
put a sock in it

no really! white cotton socks, and for yeast infections push a garlic clove with the skin still on it up inside and that will kill the yeast and the smell

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agree2Disagree
Okay, first off, let me say that I DID NOT want to create this thread. My wife however, wants to know. Here are the questions:

Apparently my answers aren't good enough(anyone that has a wife understands this). I suggested just stocking up on bars of soap, just like we do with our other food products and whatnot and simply using them in some water source.

She wants to know if there are any alternative methods in case we don't have soap.

Any suggestions?

A2D

it depends on the shtf. if it is the one i focus on, where the governemnt falls apart and the US falls into anarchy, just take what she needs for her cycles from abandoned stores. That's what I would do, I would take everything I need.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I believe its called:
On The Rag...

edit on 19-2-2011 by Chakotay because: CLASSIFIED

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Yes, I was on an archeological dig for three months and had to wash the same way in a lake fed by a stream, as did other females on the team. We had a "water buffalo" but only for drinking and cooking. Get a good soap that has a three day biodegradability and relax. Now I use some baby wipes, along with, but not many. They are not so biodegradable but excellent for yeast prevention and bacteria.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by bandito

We were discussing what if we had none of these things, that is different from stocking up on essentials

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Many trees,flowers, shrubs, plants etc have nice scented oils in their leaves and petals and when rubbed or grounded can be used to neutralise body odours or add a nice scent. Eucalypts being one of the stronger ones.
So even with no soap or water handy, us ladies can still be fresh with a bit of improvisation.

The same with feminine protection, again thanks to what's in nature.......
Large leaves with long slits in the middle to allow for seepage with shredded bark between them for absorption, wrapped together with long grass or vine can be used for adequate protection. That with regular lathering in the natural oils, should keep most women moderately happy in a SHTF situation.

edit on 20-2-2011 by Flighty because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join