It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AWB compliant not enough to avoid mass raids/arrests in NY

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
For those of us who live in "free states" we may not be totally versed on the nonsensical circus that are AWB laws like those of CT, NY, MA, NJ and CA. These states have completely arbitrary and absurd restrictions spanning the entire firearms and ammunition spectrum that by virtue of the statistics appear to do no good toward crime reduction.

A common thread through these states is the carrying on of the Clinton AWB law. A firearm cannot have certain aesthetic features such as a pistol grip, bayonet lug, barrel shroud or collapsible stock. One or two of these is okay but having three or more makes your firearm a weapon of mass destruction and you an insane murderous lunatic.

Manufacturers produce a certain number of their product line as "AWB Compliant" where the break or flash or hider is pinned to the barrel, bayonet lugs are either missing entirely or cut off from the front sight assembly and collapsible stocks are pinned.

In Nassau County yesterday the DA decided that because one could theoretically remove the pin from the collapsible stock and make it function several shops and by proxy many many customers of these shops were violating the states AWB and subsequently proceeded to raid them and arrest people.

Here is a press release of the event. Notice the liberal peppering of terms like "dangerous" "public safety" "assault weapons" contrasted by the terms "peace officers" and "duly trained personnel."

www.nassaucountyny.gov...

I hope this is enough insanity to get all the 2nd A organizations attention and put an end to this AWB crap once and for all.

If we were to follow through on the DA's logic everyone who owns a shotgun can be arrested because they could potentially saw down the barrel. Everyone who owns a car can be fined because they could potentially speed. And everyone with a penis could be arrested because they could rape.

Some of the undercover footage: abclocal.go.com.../local/long_island&id=7965139
edit on 18-2-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Main reason I will never ever ever live in those listed states.
Thanks for the find.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Another reason I don't live in NY anymore.
When I was a kid you could own any type of firearm that was not automatic.

Here's a quote that made me choke -

Rice said. “Make no mistake, these are combat-specific weapons and not intended for hunting. They have no place on our streets or in the hands of civilians.”

"No place in the hands of civilians" ?

Only badge wearing thugs are allowed to have these!

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman
Main reason I will never ever ever live in those listed states.
Thanks for the find.

I used to live in one of them. The states gun laws is actually what made me decide to move. Not so much that the laws existed but the fact that nobody could give any reason other than "because we said so" for the laws to be there. No crime reduction, no safety gain, just authoritarians pounding their chests and shouting "because we said so" and even laughing about it. No lie, I had the AG of my old state laugh right in my face not at me by about how absurd the laws were then proceeded to tell me "it's the way it is and I suggest you follow them."

That AG is a senator now. We have real winners ruling over us who totally care about us.

The finding it part surprised me. I expected a story like this to be national news given how much the media loved the AWB when it was federal law and how much they hate guns. The relative quiet of the story has me thinking the DA feels like she made a big boner and it hoping it'll blow over without a Heller style lawsuit.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Star, Flag and Bump!

If we were to follow through on the DA's logic everyone who owns a shotgun can be arrested because they could potentially saw down the barrel. Everyone who owns a car can be fined because they could potentially speed. And everyone with a penis could be arrested because they could rape

Your last paragraph says it all. There is no way that those cases should go to court.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I am assuming a well "regulated militia" is to be afforded the comparative light infantry weapons available to the services.
This includes.so called assault weapons as in light rifles, squad automatic weapons as in light machine guns.Possibly the rest of the light infantry stuff could be kept at a local militia armoury.
This includes 37mm grenade attachments for the rifles,grenade launch systems, light artillery as in 106 recoiless rifles as well as TOW weapons that are man portable like the marines antitank missile etc.
All of the above are LIGHT INFANTRY weapons and should be available to the militia for training and stocked for use in any possible scenario.
What the goverment is doing is breaking up the second ammendment by doing it piecemeal.
Slowly over years they will restrict in small increments the type and quality of the weapons avaiable for militia purposes.Indeed they will slowly choke the owners to death economicaly too by passing expensive registration proceedures etc.
In the end only the rich will be able to afford to own anything like a militia weapon.
This is unconstitutional and just plain insideous.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Here is a report with some of the undercover footage the investigators shot:

abclocal.go.com.../local/long_island&id=7965139

What I assume to be an investigator asks the clerk about the pin and the clerk proceeds to warn the investigator that removing it would violate state law then admits it is possible to remove it.

I have to wonder if these people are being arrested simply because they possess the ability to put 2 and 2 together and come the conclusion that doing a thing is possible.

Should we all be arrested now because we know murder is possible?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

It is also possible to build your own automatic weapon at home. I guess we will have to outlaw sales of metal.

I can sharpen a butter knife and have a prohibited offensive weapon in NY City, for criminys sake.

Our world has gone nuts.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Well said OP, S&F fer ya!

"theoretically" any block of steel could be machined to make any number of automatic weapons. Therefore, lets raid all the machine shops and steel suppliers because of the danger that they could be made into a WMD!
Silly isn't it?

I work at a machine shop with a bunch of gun nuts, IN TEXAS!! Modifying guns here is as common as a cold. Any gun can be turned into a "WMD", ANYTHING can be turned into a WMD. Believe it or not, we have made silencers, muzzle breaks, folding stocks, pistol grips, extended magazines, modified firing pins, and various monstrosities that one would only see on YouTube. Any semi-auto pistol, rifle or shotgun has the potential to be fully-auto with a 5 min. modification to the firing pin. So does that make ALL semi auto gun owners criminals?

A folding stock is no different than a fixed stock. It only folds to make it more compact, it has nothing to do with accuracy, functionality, or lethality.

Muzzle breaks only reduce muzzle flash, nothing to do with accuracy, functionality or lethality.

Yet red dot lasers, acog's, scopes all increase accuracy, functionality, lethality. And they are perfectly legal?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I was watching this on the AM news this morning....

Pathetic.

I found it interesting that the gun shop owners ... as always retail salesmen, explaining the simplicity of restoring weapons to their intended design (once they were the buyer's property) became characterized as evil... when it's obviously just a seller telling a prospective buyer what he or she wants to hear.

The DA wants to help promote the establishment position that the effort to obtain a weapon (let alone trading in them commercially) is suspicious and clearly indicative of dangerous behavior.

The fact that it is legislated, taxed, cataloged, and monitored seems to be oddly skewed into some kind of danger signal... If they monitor gun ownership poorly... the gun owners are evil... if they fail to execute the function for which the tax exists... to screen and ensure that criminals are not acquiring weapons to commit crimes... the gun owners are evil,. if they fail at creating a sense of peaceful security... gun owners are evil... If they engender an environment where people hesitate to interface with the local gestapo jack boots ... gun owners are evil.

Remember when applying for any gun permit... there is only one correct answer to the question of why you wish to have a permit to own a gun... "It's my right." ----- if they had made anything beyond that their business... you probably wouldn't ever need one in the first place.

The one thing lacking in the dialog that should be a real indicator that something is amiss with this 'issue' is the exclusion of any commentary about, or even by, gun manufacturer's.....

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by CastleMadeOfSand

Yet red dot lasers, acog's, scopes all increase accuracy, functionality, lethality. And they are perfectly legal?

A scope isnt scary like a pistol grip or folding stock is. At least not until the media gets done demonizing them.

I have a practical anecdote of an AWB state. I wanted an AR so did my girlfriend so we could enter high power matches at the local club. We didnt have thousands of dollars to blow so we wanted to get one rifle the two of could use.

Everything was too big for her or too small for me. A 6 position stock would have solved our problem but that would have been illegal.

So we had to buy 2 AR's. That states AWB laws effectively resulted in more guns on the street as it were.

Tyranny of clowns for no other reason than to terrorize.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Rice said. “Make no mistake, these are combat-specific weapons and not intended for hunting. They have no place on our streets or in the hands of civilians.”

Isn't combat simply just hunting.....humans that is? Aren't soldiers just civilians in uniform? I agree that they do not belong on the street however.

If I want to go hog hunting and I can't use a shotgun as described in the OP's post, then how will I defend myself against wild hogs that come charging? They fail to account for big game hunting. Without a "combat specific" weapon, nobody would stand a chance out in the wild. Is a bear gonna be concerned that your gun has a folding stock or a muzzle break? Answer: NO.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by CastleMadeOfSand

A scope isnt scary like a pistol grip or folding stock is. At least not until the media gets done demonizing them.

I have a practical anecdote of an AWB state. I wanted an AR so did my girlfriend so we could enter high power matches at the local club. We didnt have thousands of dollars to blow so we wanted to get one rifle the two of could use.

Everything was too big for her or too small for me. A 6 position stock would have solved our problem but that would have been illegal.

So we had to buy 2 AR's. That states AWB laws effectively resulted in more guns on the street as it were.

Tyranny of clowns for no other reason than to terrorize.

good point!

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

A common thread through these states is the carrying on of the Clinton AWB law. A firearm cannot have certain aesthetic features such as a pistol grip, bayonet lug, barrel shroud or collapsible stock. One or two of these is okay but having three or more makes your firearm a weapon of mass destruction and you an insane murderous lunatic.

I always got a big laugh out of the "bayonet lug is evil clause". Envisioning gang members yelling "fix bayonets!!" and carrying on drive-by bayonettings.
No bayonets keeps us all safer, for sure. /sarc

And the evil pistol grip..... and those bad little flash hiders.....

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1SawSomeThings

I always got a big laugh out of the "bayonet lug is evil clause". Envisioning gang members yelling "fix bayonets!!" and carrying on drive-by bayonettings.

Hahaha! The picture that ran through my head when I read that was priceless! I could just see a bunch of Greasers walking down the sidewalk getting ready to "rumble". Placing their switchblade bayonets on the guns and charging!

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1SawSomeThings

Hahaha! The picture that ran through my head when I read that was priceless! I could just see a bunch of Greasers walking down the sidewalk getting ready to "rumble". Placing their switchblade bayonets on the guns and charging synchronistically in dance.

edit on 2/18/2011 by CastleMadeOfSand because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
It is exactly this kind of crap why I'm entirely against ANY form of gun control. It is all up to the political whims of idiots elected to office.

Go after the gang bangers and mafiosos instead of legal gun owners NY. You'll actually get more criminals that way than arresting people for FOLLOWING THE LAW AS IT IS WRITTEN.
edit on 18-2-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

It's terrifying when you really step back and consider how much of our lives is really at the whim of some politician.

Slavery, freedom, wealth, despair, even life and death.

Just one politician with a bad attitude and your life has changed forever if you're so permitted to continue living your life.

There's a big heavy dagger hanging above all of our heads by a hair. These days it doesnt take much to snap it.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Indeed.

I've been called a criminal and a potential psycho for not registering my weapons in a state where i'm not required to...Between the media and politicians everyone who owns anything that goes boom in one direction MUST be evil. Especially if the mag holds 30 rounds.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

live free or die trying.... good post bro

top topics

<<   2 >>

join