It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Bownessie lake monster' photo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I have a deep seated fear of water. I won't go in anything higher than knee deep. I blame Jaws for this. So because of my fear stories of lake monsters have always intrigued me - and kept me from taking a boat out onto lakes.

It's not that I believe in them, my niggling fear at the back of of my head just whispers to me 'What if...' whenever I contemplate facing my fears.

Bowness Lake in the Lake District is glorious and a favourite visiting spot of mine. I stumbled across this this morning. It piqued my interest because I regularly visit there, and because I was unaware of any kind of story regarding a lake monster.

Typical 'humps' photograph from whenever these alleged sightings are caught on camera, so nothing new in that respect. I think claims like this are dubious hence the raised apostrophes in the subject line.

What I find most bizarre is the first thought that came into this guys head out in the middle of the lake was something the size of 3 cars was a dog.

Bowness 'monster' captured on camera?

Personally? I think the tourist board may be fishing for an attraction now alot of speedboating/jet-skiing has been taken out of the area due to a speed limit on the lake. But ah well, I'll leave it to people to discuss

edit on 18/2/11 by ALadInsane because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ALadInsane
I have a deep seated fear of water. I won't go in anything higher than knee deep. I blame Jaws for this.

I read this three times before I figured out that it did not say that your fear of water was being blamed on Jews.

Anyways, neat photo. Whether it's fake or not...who knows. Since you frequent the area you should stick on some floaties, take a camera, and have a go. See if you can find it yourself. That's what I'd do if a sea beast was supposedly spotted in a place near me!

But remember, if you DO find Bownessie, you can't turn him/her in! Yes you would become rich and famous, but really, could you live with yourself afterwards?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ALadInsane

The photo shows something of interest to me, it certainly is alot bigger than the protruded parts. Check out the water marks to the left. Nice find

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by MeSoCorny

hehe me too twice tho

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by MeSoCorny

Haha, I had to re-read over my OP to see what you meant :¬)

There is no way in hell I am putting floaties on and going out onto a deep lake where a monster might lurk!

I'll stand on nice safe dry land and see if I can spot him

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Theres already a thread on this, but I'll say the same here..........

There has been sightings of a large creature in Windermere lake for a long time, photos too....turned out to be a Wels catfish, I have seen them in there, didn't look like it did in the pic from the latest sighting (but they are really big, mansize) but the witnesses claimed it was moving, so it's the most likely explanation.

In all the years I have swam and canoed in Windemere, I have never seen any monsters, unless you count the catfish, lol.

EDIT: To say, if its not a catfish, it's a publicity stunt by a local hotel, which really wouldn't suprise me.
edit on 18/2/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I dont know why i even clicked on the link to see the image. I knew what I was going to see.

Wake me up, when someone REALLY captures a strange creature on film, until then, no bumbs, no logs, no blurry images or video (get a tripod or rest your elbows on solid object)

Thank you, have a nice day

(btw, i believe there are creatures out there, that humans have not seen yet)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I already commented on this also in another thread but to me it looks like something tied together like a old fishing net or plastic garbage bags something that floats ..I would have been taking one photo after the other if i spotted something like a monster even if i was scared to death I'm thinking it was a set up stunt of some kind i need something more then this to believe.. but thanks for the post

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

There are these little coloured buoy (three or four in a row) thingmybobs dotted round the edges of most the lakes here in cumbria, windemere included, I actually thought that at first, but it looked a little too big.

The other thing I thought was rocks caught from a certain angle, as they do leave trails like in the photo as water passes over / round them.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by sugarcookie1

There are these little coloured buoy (three or four in a row) thingmybobs dotted round the edges of most the lakes here in cumbria, windemere included, I actually thought that at first, but it looked a little too big.

The other thing I thought was rocks caught from a certain angle, as they do leave trails like in the photo as water passes over / round them.

I saw in your other post about catfish you might be right there.. I own a redtailed catfish and he is up to 16 inches long and just a year old and they can grow up to 200 pounds they get huge so i imagine one in the wild would get enormous and be mistaken for a lake monster ..just a thought..

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
ahhh man theres my anal beads lol

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Ok here is what i see. I think i am right.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9fe4bb68bcb8.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 19-2-2011 by Nomadmonkey because: edit to embed picture.

One other thing i just found out is that according to what i read on a local lake windermere lodge website, there is otters in the lake too.

www.happydaylodge.com...

Mammals
Keep your eyes peeled when trolling around that next bend. There are Black Bear, Moose, Mink, Red Fox, Lynx, Wolves, and Otters. In addition, the abundant Beaver will likely splash your boat as a warning!

edit on 19-2-2011 by Nomadmonkey because: added info

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nomadmonkey

Nice picture, but beavers (the animal
)in the U.K? That would be almost as big as finding a 'Nessie'.

www.guardian.co.uk... -scotland-uk

www.google.co.nz... ?client=opera&rls=en&q=beavers+u.k.&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest

Oh welll....maybe so...

edit on 19-2-2011 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki

Originally posted by Nomadmonkey

Nice picture, but beavers (the animal
)in the U.K? That would be almost as big as finding a 'Nessie'.

www.guardian.co.uk... -scotland-uk

www.google.co.nz... ?client=opera&rls=en&q=beavers+u.k.&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest

Oh welll....maybe so...

edit on 19-2-2011 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

Ok my bad! sorry. I thought this was lake Windermere in Ontario Canada. OOPS

edit on 19-2-2011 by Nomadmonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
My Beaver theory still stands. It seems that efforts have been made to reintroduce beavers into the wild in UK.

Over the last few years, 15 beavers have been re-introduced to England, but these have lived on lakes and had no need to build a dam.

In 2002, a group of nine beavers were re-introduced in England at Ham Fen, Kent. In 2005, another six European beavers were released on an enclosed site in South Cerney, Gloucestershire.

More recently, another population was set up at Martin Mere in Lancashire. Beavers have also been released on private land in Scotland.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Nomadmonkey

Yes, I saw that too, sorry bad as well...I left my reply in as well as the links that show there are beavers in the U.K.

Go well

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

There is beavers in the UK, I'm not following your input?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
My first poist in this thread had links that showed that....initially I was unaware there were, then I corrected myself...that's all

top topics

join