It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frightening Information About Solar Flares. *Worth Reading*

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
ABC News - abcnews.go.com...

The radiation from Monday's flare, known as a Coronal Mass Ejection, should pass the Earth today, Friday and Saturday. The charged particles will speed by at some 560 miles per second.
Do not be afraid. NOAA's Space Weather Prediction Center in Boulder, Colo., says the Earth is well-protected by its atmosphere and magnetic field.

Oh Thank Goodness! Our Magnetic Field will protect us... Like a LEVY from the RIVER

BUT WAIT!

ABC NEWS - abcnews.go.com...
"Giant Hole in our Magentic Field"

Recent satellite observations have revealed the largest breach yet seen in the magnetic field that protects Earth from most of the sun's violent blasts, researchers reported Tuesday. The discovery was made last summer by Themis, a fleet of five small NASA satellites.

The Themis satellites were launched to find the source of brief powerful geomagnetic disturbances in the Earth's atmosphere.

No worries though, right? Just fear mongering! We hope.

How bad would the "Katrina Space Storm" be for us earthlings? Well, the NAS report suggests the storm could cascade through our modern world.
First, the electric grid would be vulnerable, and could be shut down. It's the first big domino that, the report says, could lead to "disruption of the transportation, communication, banking, and finance systems, and government services; the breakdown of the distribution of potable water owing to pump failure; and the loss of perishable foods and medications because of lack of refrigeration."

Another story featuring a "Katrina level event involving solar flares"

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
oh man this sight is a broken record player.
2nd line

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by 9Cib27

So can we patch it up?
If we all worried about all the crap out their that could kill us we would all end up in a psychiatric ward. We're killing our own planet and the average Joe can't do anything about it. My attitude is "what will be, will be." I just believe we have to face it, that there are just things beyond our control.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Looking forward to a nice suntan this weekend

Seriously though, no disasters will happen. I know you guys are counting the days until some Biblical apocalypse hits us but I doubt this is it.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
ah, patching it back up as you put it would take either one hell of a magnet or one hell of alot of volts, imho from an engineering standpoint...

I would like to say in nice large letters DON'T PANIC =) and, all of those who are freaking out, have you collected so much as a candle for if this even happens?

have a good night people.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
now i know why we went from 2ft of snow to 50 degrees in a matter of a few days. always be looking up at night. if you happen to wake up in the middle of the night..look out your windwo. its stunning to watch it in person. kind of takes you away from earth

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by 9Cib27

This is probably going to give me some grief, but I totally believe these recent UFO's that are dropping these sparkieler type things they are dropping all over the planet, not just Jeruselam, I do believe is their way of trying to heal our magnetic field. And yes, I am a contactee, but rather you take my word for it or not, it is my theory as to what they are doing. I will hope someone posts a thread about how the magnetic field looked when this CME hits earth tonight.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by madscientistintraining
ah, patching it back up as you put it would take either one hell of a magnet or one hell of alot of volts, imho from an engineering standpoint...

I would like to say in nice large letters DON'T PANIC =) and, all of those who are freaking out, have you collected so much as a candle for if this even happens?

have a good night people.

Personally, I was thinking maybe just one of those big boat tarps, with some gorilla tape and tin-foil.
The tin-foil works on my tv antenna.

I think this would be chaos. People do not know how to react in a disaster such as this. Can you imagine the panic?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
The biggest effect from a CME is that it gets picked up by long runs of wire, like our power and communication networks.

The thing is, though, that it is easy to stop massive currents being induced in these long runs of wire by simply breaking the wires into shorter lengths.

With telecomms wires this is achieved with a buffer amplifiers, optical links, lightning arresters and transformers.

With the power grid they just use mechanical switches to break parts of the grid up where possible. Similarly overvoltage shunts and transformers can be used to limit damage.

In short, unless something unforseen happens (like someone cutting corners to save costs while doing the engineering), all will be OK.
edit on 17/2/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Really hope it's just media fear mongering but with so many predictions of a big earthquake and the effects of solar flares on earth's geomagnetic field, I worry a solar maximum of 2012 or late 2011 might be the trigger.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
i'll be quite happy to imagine the panic when my pc dies and the lights go out. until then I do have a serious and related question.

the previous 1980's solar flares, which we're much larger, but we lacked a hole in the magnetosphere back then...did those effect more than just powerlines and high voltage transformers? ie batteries??

I ask because I believe should shtf I could use my car battery for something more useful ie powering one of these failing water pumps for example. I mean why not right, just macgyver it and if that fails use a foot pump, there are ways around using electricity, its only a recent...discovery after all. the refined use of it anyways.
edit on 17-2-2011 by madscientistintraining because: because for some reason I wrote 'hoel' in our atmosphere...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I don't see how it's frightening? I infact see it as to be honoured! When you sungaze, you breathe in the spirit of the life force, the Sun. Having those particles do waves through is amazing. The sun is key to evolution. Neutrinos actually evolve us. I presume Mother Earth's losing her 'shield' because she's being reborn AND we're evolving. In us, we have spiritual DNA that the Pleiadians put there for this exact reason. We're no longer mindless Apes needing protection from the Sun, we're human beings now with the need FOR the Sun and all of its amazing energy.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by OneLife

Not trying to debunk you, since I too am a sungazer but realize that the same energy frequencies that are entering our photoreceptors inside our pupils are different from the energy frequencies that cause giant earthquakes. Both frequencies are in sunlight energy. The complexity of light...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by 9Cib27

could this have "something" to do with those "earth sized spheres that buzzed the sun" some weeks ago?

without electricity we as humanity are gone!
Slow but for sure!
I'll be missing the internet and ATS !

edit on 17-2-2011 by leaualorin because: "earth sized spheres " correction...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by leaualorin

I would just like the point out to you that the different of the people that will live and the people that will die is their mental state. if you think people can't survive without electricity, you will die. It is very simple and also very simple to live on rain water and not eat for extended periods of time (for you people carrying around that gut and tits) try to think of it as getting back in touch with mother nature

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by madscientistintraining
i'll be quite happy to imagine the panic when my pc dies and the lights go out. until then I do have a serious and related question.

the previous 1980's solar flares, which we're much larger, but we lacked a hole in the magnetosphere back then...did those effect more than just powerlines and high voltage transformers? ie batteries??

I ask because I believe should shtf I could use my car battery for something more useful ie powering one of these failing water pumps for example. I mean why not right, just macgyver it and if that fails use a foot pump, there are ways around using electricity, its only a recent...discovery after all. the refined use of it anyways.
edit on 17-2-2011 by madscientistintraining because: because for some reason I wrote 'hoel' in our atmosphere...

My neighbor used his car battery to power parts of his home for over a year when they cut his power. He had to keep the car running, and he had a a bunch of batteries. So it can be done.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Hat tip to OP and well deserved S&F. I enjoyed the way you structured your OP with breadcrumbs and a lil' levity. Sure makes things more interesting especially if we are about to be fried. Nice style and delivery of facts and information. Big

edit on 17-2-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
It is ASSUMED that the magnetic field "protects" earth from damage from the Sun's energy. This is assumed because no one has ever lived outside it's field to see if it is really needed. I would suggest that it does not really protect, but keeps us trapped. I would suggest that if the field fell, and the sun's energy was allowed to get in, liberation would be in order. Sun worshiping has been going on since day one, and it isn't because the light is pretty. I say let the solar rays come on in.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I just read an article on AOL News and it was saying how the Scientist are concerned.

What got me was this one sentence in the article

Some airlines were rerouted away from the Poles last week.

I didn't know this did you?
edit on 22-2-2011 by observe50 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join