It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

scale of the planets in place of the moon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Ok so i did a quick search and didn't find anything so i thought I'd share this video with you all and see what you thought of it.
It really puts things into perspective when comparing the size of the planets from our viewpoint in place of the moon.
I was amazed at the size of jupiter. I knew it was huge, but the video really shows how much of a giant that planet really is.
Anyway, here's the video.
Enjoy.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
They are huge.
But their density is so low they would float on water.
Be a bit hard getting that much water to float them on, but they truly are 'gas giants.'
Their total mas is incredible, has saved the earth many times from comets by their gravitational pull.
Shumaker-Levy is an example

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Colbomoose

awesome scales, nice vid!

i've been known as a gas giant too, ya know.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Awesome video.. makes you realize how small we actually are.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I found this aswell which shows the scale of the universe from the very small, to the very large.

Scale Of The Universe

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by bulletproof_monk

Actually, there is another thread with this video. On your behalf, I will state that it is not titled very clearly, and is just a link for the video(not embedded).
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here is something else that someone had shared on that thread. I am glad you started this one and reminded me of it. It is actually very interesting. It is a sort of sliding scale, that begins with an atom (or smaller), and slides all the way up to the entire estimated size of our Universe. It's pretty cool, and, for me anyways, sends my mind going in all sorts of directions.

Check it out.
htwins.net...

edit- ^^you beat me to it. However I do think that this link is for the original site, the people who created it. Also, it seems to load quicker. The same scale though.

edit on 2/17/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

actually, i have a gas giant brewing right now.................phurp!!!!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

yeah I've seen that thread before as well and have that site bookmarked. thanks for sharing though.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by bulletproof_monk

The moon has been moving away from the Earth about 3.8 cm per year since it formed roughly 4.5 billion years ago. Can you imagine how close to the Earth it was when it formed and how large it looked then?

It would have looked huge, and it probably would have been red like a giant ball of red hot lava until it cooled.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

What a sight that would have been. Must have been beautiful seeing it with all the detail.

top topics

join