It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chernobyl Disaster Documentary

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
From the meltdown to the coverup and the aftermath... Quite a story

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Thank you for uploading these, I will watch them once they are downloaded. I am half Ukrainian on my father's side, and yet I don't know a damn thing about Chernobyl.

S+F

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThinkingCap
I am half Ukrainian on my father's side, and yet I don't know a damn thing about Chernobyl.

I followed the story as it happened but then it fell off the radar.with other news. We rarely see the followup

I never knew it was as bad as this. The cleanup 500,000 soldiers working for 45 seconds at a time by hand crazy.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Thank you for this. It serves to remind us all of the heroes of Chernobyl. I served aboard a nuclear sub. Had there not been heroes there at Chernobyl, many countries would have paid a price. Humanity owes a debt to these men and women. They should NEVER be forgotten.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Forgot to say. S&F.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Thanks for uploading. It's an event I've always wanted to learn more about, and something we should never forget. Strangely, I've never seen any documentries about it before on TV- you would have thought one of the many docu-channels would have covered it, at least playing the occasional re-run of some old material, but apparently not.
edit on 16-2-2011 by ScepticalBeliever because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I have watched this particular documentary before, as well as most of the documentaries about Chernobyl, and the disaster facinates me.

I'm planning on making a comprehensive thread about it in the future.

It is my opinion that Chenobyl was the nails in the coffin of the cold war.....
edit on 16-2-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
This was the first I heard about the cloud covering that much of Europe as well and the French denial.

At the end of the movie they briefly show the "Woodpecker" antenna array. That was near Chernobyl but they didn't cover the connection. Very odd that. Perhaps they meant that that project was also effected because they called it Chernobyl 2 in the video. Maybe it was close enough to be contaminated too, or they just shut it down. "Woodpecker' was not nuclear that I know of, unless they powered the antennas with a reactor...

More homework now

Russian Woodpecker
Duga radar array, Chenobyl, Ukraine

51°18'20.17"N, 30°04'02.60"E

Yup contaminated area... I just never noticed the faint radiation symbol

More here
www.thelivingmoon.com...
edit on 16-2-2011 by zorgon because: CLASSIFIED

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Yes, it supposedly caused thyroid cancers in France. The effects are still being felt across Europe.

reply to post by zorgon

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

So they covered it up, then covered it up with lies and are now trying to cover it up again. I never knew what they did to stop this - I was young and slightly stupider than I am now - so I learned something new today. Yay.

Pretty big array. I'll have to check that out, also.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Hi there Zorgon,

yes the effects were bad. We had to sell our family farm in SW Scotland due to the sheep being contaminated for several years.

as for the woodpecker , i was told by an old boss of mine at QinetiQ (who was from the Ukraine ) that it was indeed powered from the next door plant.

keep up the good threads,

snoopyuk

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Thanks for the link to the thread. Will definitely find some time to watch these.
Star and Flag

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Thanks for that work Zorgon,

And v1rt, thank you also, and snoopyuk.

Learned something here too.
edit on 14-3-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

This is very important as an illustration of the things we are likely not to be told about in the wake of the Japanese nuclear disaster currently ongoing.
Thanks for the great thread, I'm watching the videos now, S&F for you my friend.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Just want to bump this thread,in the wake of the Nuclear disaster in Japan.
Be prepared......

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Inside Chernobyls Sarcophagus Russian scientists vist the inside and make some amazing discoveries as they risk their lives.

This episode won an Emmy. It covers the sarcophagus built to contain the remains of the
destroyed reactor and the work of the Russian scientists, staff and soldiers who risked
and continue to risk their lives in the clean-up operation.

"This file was digitized from a VHS recording of the program. The picture quality is
fair, however, the sound track has some occasional static, especially towards the
beginning.

I think this is the 1996 updated version of the original 1991 program and includes an
extra 10 minutes of interviews with several of the original scientists. It is shorter
than the 60 minutes described on the BBC website and may have been edited."

NOVA - Inside Chernobyl's Sarcophagus part 1

edit on 20-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Chernobyl The Lost Film

Live footage from the time

This film shows the terrifying images captured by the Russian filmmaker Vladimir Shevchenko on scene at Chernobyl those dreadful days in April 1986. Shevchenko later died suffering from the radiation he exposed himself to. Sadly, his name is not among the official casualties of the accident.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
S&F Zorgon.

Thanks, I have never really watched anything on this disaster. I knew it was bad, but...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Yeah me too... And the second set of videos, those scientists going in with nothing but a cloth mask and plastic sheet with scotch tape...

Chernobyl Were Did the Nuclear Fuel Go?

The 'Elephants foot', a massive nuclear fuel and sand mass

The 'Elephants foot' showing where it melted through the floor

Drilling into the chamber below the reactor and sending in a camera to search for the fuel

Nuclear Lava

Nuclear Lava

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I believe that the Ruskie govt owes these peoples families some compensation. Thje original guys got $100 for a bonus. I about fell out of my chair when I heard that.

I did notice that the second set of videos was a little vague on figures. They said "several" died. That is some sad stuff. They are heros in my eyes. Tough as nails. I would tell them to shoot me or something before I did that with no protection, unless my kids lives were at stake.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join