It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Borders The Bookstore Claiming Bankruptcy!!!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
I dont think digital media is killing albums or books. It certainly isnt to blame for the end of these monster stores.

No, but it is PART of the problem. As I said, the other HUGE part is used book stores.

What's happening to real books and real albums is they're getting more valuable. Not like a commodity or a stock but for the buyer there will be more thought in acquiring one which in turn creates more thought and care behind the creation of one.

I assume you mean they're getting more expensive? Yes, this is true. Harlequin, one of my publishers, actually sent out a notice to all their authors asking them to write short. Obviously, they're trying to cut down on paper costs.

The big conglomo book depository will be replaced by a small bookseller specializing in local and regional authors and hosting talks and appearances of local and regional authors. I see it here everyday. Nobody is getting rich but it's a living and they get to do what they enjoy doing and the consumer gets a more intimate and valuable experience. The same is happening with music.
)

Well I sure hope so...but I will tell you this. I love, love, LOVE my digital sales. I get 30% royalties as opposed to 8% for my paperback sales. And the money is instant, meaning I don't have to wait four months for my royalties (publishers pay per-quarter). I, too, love the feel of a book in my hand. I honestly don't think that will go away, ever. But I do think digital is the wave of the future.

Pam
edit on 17-2-2011 by PamelaBritton2U because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1   >>

join