It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artificial Gold?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Alchemists stretching back to at least the Renaissance have dreamed of artificial gold (pictured, bars issued by a gold ATM in 2010)—and Edison was no exception, according to Israel.

In 1911 the light bulb inventor predicted that it was only a question of time before the U.S. manufactured gold. Because of the resulting glut, gold would "not much longer lure" as a commodity.

He was partly right—in modern times, scientists have manipulated atoms to create synthetic gold in the lab, and it's an ongoing project at Lawrence Livermore Laboratory.

Overall, the idea of artificial gold doesn't seem that surprising now, when "we're creating all sorts of insane materials," Israel said.

"This notion that one can create artificial gold is sort of mundane compared to what we're creating in the present day."

I imagine that the cost of "manipulating atoms" to create synthetic gold in a lab is cost prohibitive when it comes to producing artificial gold in large quantities, but the global financial implications of this seem to me to be potentially huge.

While the ability to create gold by manipulating atoms really surprised me, the idea of it being "mundane" compared to what they're creating is more than intriguing.

Thought this might make for an interesting topic to discuss/debate.

Edit to add link: news.nationalgeographic.com...:01#/ thomas-edison-predictions-birthday-100-years-gold-valueless-transmute_32126_600x450.jpg
edit on 16-2-2011 by Yukitup because: forgot link...

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Yukitup

Ive been following these stories of Artificial gold recently, It seems their experiments , are going well apart from in One experiment (probably not related) they managed to turn Gold Into Pure-Purple
www.unexplained-mysteries.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
As we have seen in every industry that is capable of producing profit, it is only a matter of time before technology advances to the point that profit can be made. What would be required to mass produce artificial gold?

I'm also fairly impressed with Edison's vision for the future, he was definitely a man ahead of his time.

With regards to global implications, the ability to mass produce pure gold would certainly seem a plausible explanation for our (U.S.) apparent lack of concern over our debt. Cheney: "Don't worry fellas, spend all you want -- not only will we print more, we can now produce as much wealth as we want!"

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Yukitup

It would Take a fair amount of energy i imagine to Create it, But why would anyone do it anyway? As soon as the stuff started been used commercially gold prices Would Plummet and just wouldnt have that sentimental value anymore, Unless it was marketed as fake gold which really would also be pointless

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Maybe this is why they've been trying to collect everyone's gold.... to get all of the real stuff and swap it out with the artificial stuff that can be made in a lab.

Hmmm.... now that makes for some good conspiracy!

S&F

~Namaste

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson
reply to post by Yukitup

Ive been following these stories of Artificial gold recently, It seems their experiments , are going well apart from in One experiment (probably not related) they managed to turn Gold Into Pure-Purple
www.unexplained-mysteries.com...

Hey TH -- thanks for the link. Sounds like an expensive way to produce "green" energy!

Have you come across any info regarding quantities of artificial gold produced, who is producing it, and who is overseeing it?

I still wonder what is being created that makes artificial gold production "mundane..."

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
initially all production of new material is difficult, however, as progress is made, investments come in and tech increases, making "growing gold" become cheap and effective.
Often industries have to do this as proof of concept for investment...show it can be done (even if it costs a fortune initially) to get grants to develop cheaper and better means.

I do see in the fairly short term future such materials becoming easy and cheap to grow. as nanotech continues its rapid development, such elements will be as cheap as purchasing something made of plastic.

Don't expect for gold to be mass developed overnight however, it would hurt economies, however, due to TPTB wanting the gold standard eliminated, it will come out..the millionares and billionares will have plenty of time to see the writing on the wall and dump their stock,

Just think, you will be able to own a pure gold anything for the same price as a plastic equal. golden cities anyone? heh.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne
Maybe this is why they've been trying to collect everyone's gold.... to get all of the real stuff and swap it out with the artificial stuff that can be made in a lab.

Hmmm.... now that makes for some good conspiracy!

S&F

~Namaste

I agree SOTLOO, it does have the ingredients for a tasty conspiracy!

What is the physical difference between the gold produced by manipulating atoms and the stuff that is mined from the earth???

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yukitup
I still wonder what is being created that makes artificial gold production "mundane..."

Gold has limited uses overall. Can be used in electronics, jewelry, etc...however, its functionality is mostly just...being a pretty rock.

Plastics is a material with far more functionality (and won't bankrupt economies). Velcro, etc...

Put the science hat on when asking that question..they aren't looking at worth, they are looking at functionality. hell, a new surgical glue would be more interesting to them than gold...

in saying that, I personally believe many labs are going for a synthetic/organic hybrid skin. That would be epic. being able to grow skin 10 times tougher that looks and feels like normal skin, reacts like normal skin, etc etc etc...could put it on burn victims, alternative surgery, or even as a material for objects...(cyborg 101...convincing artificial tough skin). That tech...waaaay more interesting than gold (and get alot of gold when you create that product. heh)

Also, for medical purposes, a ton of money is going into genetic engineering of human organs..grow a heart in a week that perfectly matches the subject, etc. as the baby boomers go into the twilight, you will see incredible amounts of tech coming out geared towards life extension.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Thought I would "chime" in here. Thru alchemy, and eons of time, this has not actually "occurred" yet. If at some point in time, someone claims they have figured out a way, the best it could ever be, is a synthesized "version" of Au. Watch out for tungsten coated with real gold as it is currently becomung a serious problem. Tungsten, is nearly as dense as gold, and done right can fool the best.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Don't expect for gold to be mass developed overnight however, it would hurt economies, however, due to TPTB wanting the gold standard eliminated, it will come out..the millionares and billionares will have plenty of time to see the writing on the wall and dump their stock,

Just think, you will be able to own a pure gold anything for the same price as a plastic equal. golden cities anyone? heh.

Very true -- and very true. SFX, you have reminded me of a thread/story that Zorgon has been researching re the delivery of mass quantities (decades ago!) of an element that does not exist in large quantities on earth: HE3. Without addressing whether it might have been artificially produced by manipulating atoms or mined from somewhere else, its availability would also undermine our current economies. Makes you wonder what else we might be sitting on... (I use the term we very loosely...)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
incidently, this reminds me of this twilight zone they made many years ago about some criminals that stole a bunch of gold bars from fort knox (or somewhere).
They drive into this cave where there is some cryogenic chambers..they quickly go to sleep and sleep for like 500 years or so (not sure the time, not important..just "the future).

They wake up and start fighting about the gold. needless to say they all die in some form or another over who owns the gold while they were in the desert. A hovercraft comes down after seeing the bodies carrying these bags...not sure why they were carrying these worthless bricks of gold (equal to carrying around any other type of rocks..or just a literal sack of bricks).

in 100 years from now...what do we know beyond a doubt will remain of value? Gold? doubtful. Water? doubtful. Real Estate? Potential, but who knows.

If you were frozen right now and woke up in 100 years, what one thing would you pack with you to ensure comfortable living when you wake up...

Futurists believe the only thing of value (beyond information) will be hand made things..personal touch. I would get a piece of original art by someone known..

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Yukitup

My guess is that the difference would be certain impurities only detectable at the atomic level or through spectrometry. Eventually, I'd imagine that they'll figure out how to mimic it entirely, but the first batches of the artificial stuff will probably have less natural impurities. (I'm referring to the ones that aren't removed through smelting and purification, such as carbon)

Wow, at face value, this could easily be missed but when you look at what's happening with gold right now, it really adds fuel to the fire...

~Namaste

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Gold has limited uses overall. Can be used in electronics, jewelry, etc...however, its functionality is mostly just...being a pretty rock.

Plastics is a material with far more functionality (and won't bankrupt economies). Velcro, etc...

Put the science hat on when asking that question..they aren't looking at worth, they are looking at functionality. hell, a new surgical glue would be more interesting to them than gold...

While I agree re the scientific value of artificial skin, plastics, etc., I don't think we can discount the value and purposes of gold:

Most of the ways that gold is used today have been developed only during the last two or three decades. This trend will likely continue. As our society requires more sophisticated and reliable materials our uses for gold will increase. This combination of growing demand, few substitutes and limited supply will cause the value and importance of gold to increase steadily over time. It is truly a metal of the future.

geology.com...

Gold is highly conductive and corrosion resistant, making it very valuable in electronics and computers.

If you are going to spend billions of dollars on a vehicle that when launched will travel on a voyage where the possibility of lubrication, maintenance and repair is absolutely zero, then building it with extremely dependable materials is essential. This is exactly why gold is used in hundreds of ways in every space vehicle that NASA launches.

Gold is used in circuitry because it is a dependable conductor and connector. In addition, many parts of every space vehicle are fitted with gold-coated polyester film. This film reflects infrared radiation and helps stabilize the temperature of the spacecraft. Without this coating, dark colored parts of the spacecraft would absorb significant amounts of heat

Gold is also used as a lubricant between mechanical parts. In the vacuum of space, organic lubricants would volatilize and they would be broken down by the intense radiation beyond Earth's atmosphere. Gold has a very low shear strength and thin films of gold between critical moving parts serves as a lubricant - the gold molecules slip past one another under the forces of friction and that provides a lubricant action.

Id.

It's also used medically, in glass making, etc.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Makes you wonder what else we might be sitting on... (I use the term we very loosely...)

Well, according to some of my u2u's from the past (disclamer: Anonymous ATSers whom say stuff..not to be taken seriously as they produced no evidence)...we have in secret labs produced full nano replication and building..what this means is that anything possibly thought of can be quickly built by a nano swarm..be it cheeseburgers, bombs, or anything else you can think of. The current economy and all we are and work for is an illusion, a minimal crumb of the cake that is allowed in the public sector.

Why? meh..keeps everyone in line...if a nano assembler box came out (think star trek's matter converter thing.."Tea, earl grey, hot".) all economies, all markets, everything would crash into dust overnight...hard to sell a widget when anyone can just download the CAD schematics and replicate one.

However, since I have not seen it with my own eyes, such things may simply be the musings of a sci-fi nut..more wishful thinking than reality, however, the science has always been there.

Public sector science (the groundbreaking stuff being reported on today) is about 50-100 years behind private government science. Maybe its not a bad thing...imagine what the world would be like if tomorrow all economies crashed and unemployment went worldwide to 99%+. Some would say great..all you need can be replicated...but you still need to pay rent somehow.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
In the mid-70's David Hudson, an Arizona farmer, discovered elements of the platinum group(also gold & silver) in his farm soil. They were in a mono-atomic state & not detectable by standard testing methods. Possibly the alchemists of old knew of these "hidden" elements. Videos of his speech: Short version...www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

While I agree re the scientific value of artificial skin, plastics, etc., I don't think we can discount the value and purposes of gold:

Not what I was trying to say, Yes, gold is valueable, however, in a world where we can create brand new elements based on designs, we can make effective materials that would outshine gold so to speak a hundred fold more and specific for the task.

Like saying we can use steel because its more easily bendable than wood when creating home utilities...that may be true when regarding other natural elements...then plastic comes into play and suddenly the whole using steel to make things is out the door if the only requirement is for it to be easily formed.

bad example, but you get what I am saying. the world is now a engineering dream as we move on, and the constraints of what natural element works best no longer applies.
Diamonds for cutting will give away to buckeyballs, steel to carbon nanofiber, etc...and golds properties will be developed and streamlined to have massive leaps in properties under a different elements name all together

(ok, admittedly I am a futurist...this stuff is like mental masturbation to me..love the subject)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
With particle accelerators it should be possible to transmute other heavy metals into gold (the dream of alchemists for centuries)....but at what cost? And gold can be harvested from sea water at a cost also. Maybe some day this will make gold and other metals as common as lead (so much for a fixed gold standard if so)....and while they are at it they might as well give us "free energy" (whose technology surely exists).

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Yukitup

They are not CREATING gold it is just a different refining method.

www-pls.llnl.gov...

...In selective dealloying, the more electrochemically active element is dissolved, leaving behind a sponge-like morphology of interconnecting ligaments made from the less electrochemically active element (Figure 1). Using dealloying, we have prepared nanoporous gold (Au) samples by selective electrolytic dissolution of silver (Ag) from various Au/Ag alloys.....

I did something similar in College many years ago . The process goes all the way back to the Incas.

CREATING gold on the other hand means taking three protons off of lead and you get gold or one proton of mercury and you get gold.

I thought that was what you were talking about.

This does nothing to the value of gold as a Monetary Standard.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

the world is now a engineering dream as we move on, and the constraints of what natural element works best no longer applies.
Diamonds for cutting will give away to buckeyballs, steel to carbon nanofiber, etc...and golds properties will be developed and streamlined to have massive leaps in properties under a different elements name all together

(ok, admittedly I am a futurist...this stuff is like mental masturbation to me..love the subject)

Can't quit starring your posts - thanks for the input. Would love to see some of those U2Us -- I don't doubt that what we see is, as you said, a mere crumb of the cake... You mentioned a lack of evidence presented in the communications, how much credence would you give the senders?

Also, were we to make an analogy here to the diamond industry -- the implications are a little scary. Our government would be the OPEC of gold and technology!

Or is it our government?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join