It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dead At Desk A Day Before CoWorkers Even Noticed.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
www.ktla.com...

DOWNEY (KTLA) -- An L.A. County employee apparently died while working in her cubicle on Friday, but no one noticed for quite some time.

51-year-old Rebecca Wells was found by a security guard on Saturday afternoon.

She was slumped over on her desk in the L.A. County Department of Internal Services.

"I came in Saturday to do a little work, and I saw them when they were taking her out," co-worker Hattie Robertson told KTLA.

The exact time of death is not clear, but detectives say that, at worst, she had been dead for a day before her body was discovered.

The last time a co-worker saw her alive was Friday morning around 9:00 a.m., according to Downy police detectives.

This is in social conspiracies, because when a human can die at their desk and NO ONE NOTICES for an entire day, there is most definitely a conspiracy against humanity somewhere.

Does it lie in the system that sets us up in cubicles, isolated from our peers to work like drones until the quitting bell rings?

Does it lie in the technology we all use that has for the past twenty years begun to create solitary people who care more about their own interests than that of anothr human being?

I dont know where it lies. I am intensely saddened today, to think one could go to work and lie dead a ttheir desk for an entire day. It is disturbing all the way down to my core, that is no way to die. The woman had just become a grandmother the article stated.

To think no one even bothered to give this lady a thought since none am when she arrived for work Friday. Not even a thought, it is just very sad.

Are we as a society THAT disconnected with each other? How does this happen, in this day and age, that a human can lie dead at their desk for an entire day?

Is this indicative of our society? I believe these stories are microcosms of humanity, and I don't know what we can do about it.

Let me say this, all the talk of awakening, higher consciousness, fourth dimentsions, love and peace, well, looks like no one was operating on a higher vibrational level in this LA office, because in their midst lie a dead woman, who died alone at her desk and lie there for a day and night, waiting for someone to find her.

edit on Wed, 16 Feb 2011 08:19:04 -0600 by hotbakedtater because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
A sad indication of modern life - Too embroiled in the rat race too worried about themselves to notice others
Unfortunately though , in places of work like this it is frowned upon to check on your colleagues or engage in non work related discussion .
You bring up a good point about cubicles - Seems like their designed to keep workers oblivious to things that are going around them . You have to sit at your desk and keep your head down. Like blinkered horses .

Sad subject , good thread !

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Society has become what it inevitably had to as a result of the life we lead, television, materialism, self importance..humanity has changed drastically over time and will still keep on doing so for as long as our species exists. It is terribly sad to see the reality of the cruel surroundings we live in, and we can only grip in silent desperation to those words of hope that a new consciousness shall arrive, though in many hearts there resides a doubt and sadness and maybe a knowing, alas far away, that the world shall live on with the cruel cold species that we are.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I heard this story a while back, only it was an old man - and he was said to be at his desk for 5 days before anyone noticed.
It turned out to be an urban legend type of story, not true at all.
Hopefully this is the same?

Oh, here's the link - Snopes
Hope I did that right!
edit on 16-2-2011 by Evaux because: link

edit on 16-2-2011 by Evaux because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Nice, although grisly find.

I think the issue here is in our technology and how it can simultaneously keep us constantly plugged into our world and at the same time terribly isolate us. I can sit at a desk, whether at work or home and nearly instantly communicate with people around the globe as often as I like, but physically I am alone. When I turn off my email or my instant messaging those people have no idea what my physical condition is. They just know that sometime in the future I will most likely fire up my laptop and become an internet entity again.

The problem lies in the fact that people are becoming less and less apt to sit on their porch with their neighbors and have a real conversation, or visit as often with friends and family that they can easier keep up with via social networking sites and electronic communication. Many people don't even know who their neighbors are.

It's a sad state of affairs when it has come to this. My heart goes out to this woman's family and friends.

It's going to be a very sad day when we all need to worry about someone's health just because they haven't updated their status recently.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by tsawyer2

You know where I DO see people sitting on their porches and congregating with their neighbors? The poorer neighborhoods. I speak of course, from life experience. That is good point you brought up.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Sadly this is a true story that I have posted, only occured a few days ago.

Originally posted by Evaux
I heard this story a while back, only it was an old man - and he was said to be at his desk for 5 days before anyone noticed.
It turned out to be an urban legend type of story, not true at all.
Hopefully this is the same?

Oh, here's the link - Snopes
Hope I did that right!
edit on 16-2-2011 by Evaux because: link

edit on 16-2-2011 by Evaux because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

You know where I DO see people sitting on their porches and congregating with their neighbors? The poorer neighborhoods. I speak of course, from life experience. That is good point you brought up.

You know, you are absolutely correct. I remember growing up in the early '70s in Brooklyn NY, people would gather on the stoops outside of the brown sandstone buildings and talk. We'd also play stickball and touch football in the streets and everyone (probably unfortunately) knew everyone else's business.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Man she must have had a really important job if no one even noticed the lack of productivity. I wonder if her employer will pay her estate time and a half or double time for her overtime hours?

Kidding aside, I don't understand how this could happen. She died and no one noticed? Not any employee, nor family member or friend? At all? Maybe she was a recluse, but you would think that someone would notice on a Friday night/Saturday wouldn't you? I am pretty private, and mind my own business, but I'm pretty sure I would notice if a co-worker was cold, blue, and slumped over.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

If the elites have their way there will be No poor. Just elites .
Your right you know ive mixed with rich and poor people , those who had Less to give actually gave me more . like a roof over my head and a hot meal
When you're rich imo some lose the virtues that make us good people .

As humanity has advanced we have become greedier , colder , more materialistic , more selfish .
The rich have got richer the poor poorer .

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

suddenly , the word "cubbicle " makes me SICK...
unbelievable!!!

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
It's a freak fluke incident. It does not occur all the time and there is no mass conspiracy. It's just a really sad story.

I get bothered every 10 minutes at work. What does she do that her coworkers and boss didn't interact with her for a whole day?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Incredibly sad.

(I posted this story here as well, so my comments are there. www.abovetopsecret.com...)

new topics

top topics

join