It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteor Confirmed Over New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Connecticut

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Meteor Confirmed Over New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Connecticut

www.myfoxhou ston.com

A fireball in the sky over New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Connecticut was confirmed as a meteor Monday.

The American Meteor Society (AMS) said the object was a meteor after more than 30 sightings were logged across the four states, The Express-Times reported.

"This was indeed a meteor," AMS operations manager Robert Lunsford said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.yorkpress.co.uk
www.nbcconnecticut.com

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
A meteor thought to be te size of a small car was spotted in the afternoon, an unusual sight, as most meteor sightings occur at night.

Experts say it may have been five feet in diameter and weighing more than five metric tons.
People who saw it say it was quite a sight, described as "Majestic" and "Beautiful" with flashes of silver, green
and blue.

It was a stream of silver and then a flash with crazy colors (blues and greens), Gina Montano said on Facebook.

www.myfoxhou ston.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 15-2-2011 by burntheships because: format

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Interesting. Wish I had got to see it. Guess I'll have to wait for Elenin to come 'round my bday

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SpreadLoveNotHate

Yes, this one was in the afternoon, I wonder if it has anything to do with the X-class Solar Flare.

Found a video here:

www.nbcnewyork.com...

Also, this was the third meteor sighting in a month, this one was in the afternoon.
Now that would be something to see!

edit on 15-2-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Living in PA, I didn't see, but heard a meteor a few years ago. I've been trying to find footage on it, however I cannot. A lady video taping her sons baseball game (In or around Baltimore, MD) caught it on tape and it appeared as a fireball with a tail moving rapidly a cross the sky. This aired on our local news stations. The "ear-witness" account I can account for goes like this. I walked outside and my mother was on the other side of the yard, we were talking loudly back and fourth over something irrelevant, when suddenly an earth shaking boom was heard. I nearly dropped to the ground as I felt it pound my chest. We quickly looked in the sky, on the horizon, for anything that may have exploded. Neighbors came outside looking around puzzled as if to find someones house falling from the sky as debris. We called 911 and the lines were busy. On the news later on we watched eye witnesses tell how they saw a huge fireball over our sky creating a massive sonic boom. A mother and her young daughter were at the park, and they looked horrified, and the little girl was still crying.

I really wish I would have saw it with my own eyes, and this most recent one as well. Hearing it was pretty cool however. Oddly enough, my father was taking my sister to piano lessons, and just left our driveway in a small hatchback. Neither of them heard the sonic boom, and it was a small economy work car with no sound proofing whatsoever.

Referring to the post about the X-class solar flare.... I know these objects from space are made of different kinds of metals, but so are our satellites. On different shows talking about solar flares, I notice they mention our satellites falling from the sky; being knocked out of orbit and burning into our atmosphere. If it was a silver streak with blue and green flashes, could that be a man-made object with different metals, alloys, and combustible fuels on-board? Or heck, even one of the many UFOs that have been sighted (crashing or not)?
edit on 2/15/2011 by SixX1874 because: more details

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SixX1874

Just perusing the news reports now, there are quite a few.
I will post a list here, so far I have not read that there was a "boom".

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
This was reported yesterday in this thread:

PA NJ NY CONN RI Philadelphia Daytime Bolide Fireball 12:45 EST 14FEB2011

www.abovetopsecret.com...

By this morning, AMS had fielded 185 reports on it, so it must have been spectacular for so many to have done so...the average is usually less than a dozen reports for nighttime fireballs.
edit on 15-2-2011 by apacheman because: add thread title

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

The event I wrote about happened a few years back, def. a few months after 9/11 at LEAST because I do remember one of the possibilities I thought, was an airliner crashing. I hope this one was caught on tape somewhere, but with it being winter I doubt any soccer moms unknowingly recorded a meteor at her kids game this time around

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Maybe it will strike the side of the Pentagon without scathing the ground and without being filmed by the hundreds of security cameras; all while leaving behind no trace of being a meteor.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Thanks, I searched but did not find it!

Appreciate the link!

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spydaman13
Maybe it will strike the side of the Pentagon without scathing the ground and without being filmed by the hundreds of security cameras; all while leaving behind no trace of being a meteor.

Here is a link to the "Natural Gas Explosion" in Allentown, PA (roughly an 1hr30min south from me) that left a "crater the size of two houses" in the ground. There hae been these meteor sightings there shortly before the explosion. A witness also said she heard multiple explosions/booms before the house nearby exploded.
edit on 2/15/2011 by SixX1874 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Only one listed...

Asteroid 2011 CQ1 Makes Close Earth Approach on February 4, 2011
February 4, 2011

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

They had a big one in 1992 caught that on video and it hit a car. But this is what it looked like

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by SixX1874

Originally posted by burntheships

The event I wrote about happened a few years back, def. a few months after 9/11 at LEAST because I do remember one of the possibilities I thought, was an airliner crashing. I hope this one was caught on tape somewhere, but with it being winter I doubt any soccer moms unknowingly recorded a meteor at her kids game this time around

You're right, SixX, it was either a few weeks after 9/11 or the following summer, because I remember they thought they might have found evidence of it exploding in the air above a cornfield about 45 minutes away from my town in PA. The local newspaper published pics of the corn plants with what looked like buckshot holes in the leaves. The corn was taller than the owner of the cornfield who posed in the pic, hence my thinking of late Sept. or late summer the following year. I actually saw it go overhead and I swear it made a crackling sound as it flew by. I too remember worrying that it was something related to terrorism.

new topics

top topics

join