It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia says foreign power may have caused spy satellite loss

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
This has the US written all over it...

Russia says foreign power may have caused spy satellite loss

The Russian space agency suggested Monday that a foreign power may have been behind the space accident that disabled one of the country's most modern military satellites earlier this month.

Russia on February 1 launched a high-tech Geo-IK-2 craft to help the military draw a three-dimensional map of the Earth and locate the precise positions of various targets.

News reports said the satellite was a vital part of Russia's effort to match the United States and NATO's ability to target its missiles from space.

But the craft briefly went missing after its launch only to re-emerge in a wrong orbit that left the craft unable to complete its assigned task.

The Russian military and space agency set up a joint task force to probe the accident but it has presented no official results thus far.

One unnamed space official told Interfax however that initial evidence suggested that the craft went off target after one of its booster rockets inexplicably reversed course.

"The probable cause may involve electromagnetic intrusion on the automatic controls,"
the unnamed space official said.

Notice what the satellite was for... ability to target NATO's missiles.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Ended up in a different orbit after disappearing... thats a new one lol.

makes one wonder if this might of had anything to do with it.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I think that as well.

Maybe the x-37 is a jamming / singal's intercepting type of weapon.
Not your conventional weapon.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I think this has something to do with the deep core drilling that russian scientists are doing at the south pole.
There are teams of scientists drilling around the clock supposedly looking for water.

I believe they are working on some sort of space based weapon that will tap energy from the earths magnetic poles simultaneously , and channel it through its supposed gps sattelites.

Covert sattelites are easier to use, if they're off the grid.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Just to keep one thing clear:

the satellite was for... ability to target NATO's missiles

In the original text it says:

the satellite was a vital part of Russia's effort to match the United States and NATO's ability to target its missiles from space

as far as i understood it means they say they tried launching something which makes them capable to target their own missiles with same accurancy than NATO's

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1529864/Beijing-secretly-fires-lasers-to-disable-US-satellites.html

Wouldn't be the first satellite hit with directed energy weapons to disable them. The War in space started years ago with shots fired.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
could it possibly be due to the recent solar flare?

or it could be that some underpaid/overworked Russian scientist simply made a miscalculation?

...but of course the U.S. is the first blame to be placed.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

The wiki article that you linked to says that the X-37 finished its first orbital test and returned to earth on December 3rd, 2010. It hasn't been launched since. Russia launched its satellite on February 1st this year.

The timelines just don't match up. I don't think this plane caused these problems.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
The X37 is on the ground so that myth is shot.

This is a new type of sat for the Russians so you can expect problems. My bet is on a software screw up.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Sounds to me like it could just be someone up high is in the cross-hairs for the screw-up and is trying to shift the blame to shadowy outsiders. Not discounting the possibility of foreign powers being involved but we are dealing with bureaucrats.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by CastleMadeOfSand
could it possibly be due to the recent solar flare?

or it could be that some underpaid/overworked Russian scientist simply made a miscalculation?

...but of course the U.S. is the first blame to be placed.

Surely you are not suggesting that the Russians would ever attempt to cover up a failed mission by diverting the blame to someone else? They would never do such a thing!!

Gee, next you will be trying to tell me that the kursk sank because one of its own torpedoes malfunctioned. Everyone knows that it was sunk by a US or British torpedo (it might have even been a US/UK twin hybrid clone torpedo from israel). Just ask the Russians, they'll tell you.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by TMJ1972

as far as i understood it means they say they tried launching something which makes them capable to target their own missiles with same accurancy than NATO's

Since it's a SPY satellite... I would guess that it meant that it's to find NATO's missiles on the ground more accurately...

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by upgrayedd

Fair point.. Are we sure we only have one though? The military doesnt do just one of anything.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Maybe the satellite is working well beyond fine and rather surprising the engineers who created it, so much so that they need to cool the hype surrounding it.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

www.bbc.co.uk...

ZOINK

they are 3 steps ahead

All disinformation and lies

top topics

join