It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone explain to me...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by spikey

i like the way this thread seems to bob and weave...anyway just to counter your point, which is valid, my daughters are now 10 and 8, we have had long conversations about the universe, nature, real stuff since they were both little and their education isn't too bad either so it's not all bad...although kids tv here in the uk has a lot to answer for and I wont let my kids near the internet without me being there and they don't have those little ds things all the kids seem to have...but that's just my weird ways I guess

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANDOMguess
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Has this ever happened before or is all the water falling off the edge of the planet.

Wow...how old are you...like 4?

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by jpsdasnake

Originally posted by RANDOMguess
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Has this ever happened before or is all the water falling off the edge of the planet.

Wow...how old are you...like 4?

Haha read the entire thing tard it was a sarcastic reply to the op similar to hers.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by jpsdasnake

sorry couldn't help it

this thread is amazing!
edit on 15-2-2011 by doubledutch because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by RANDOMguess

"ATS Points: -2,161"

Nice. "tard"
edit on 15/2/2011 by jpsdasnake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by jpsdasnake

"ATS Points: -2,161"

Nice. "tard"
edit on 15/2/2011 by jpsdasnake because: (no reason given)

AAAAHAHAHAHAH WEAK. you looked dumb and had nothing to say, so you looked for anything negative in my profile you could use against me....and you say to me what am I like 4 years old....FAIL. Why even reply

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Touché

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

You said it mate.

It is a shame...we don't even get the holidays proper teachers get!

Still, it's in all our interests in the end to at least try and help i s'pose.

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by doubledutch
reply to post by spikey

i like the way this thread seems to bob and weave...anyway just to counter your point, which is valid, my daughters are now 10 and 8, we have had long conversations about the universe, nature, real stuff since they were both little and their education isn't too bad either so it's not all bad...although kids tv here in the uk has a lot to answer for and I wont let my kids near the internet without me being there and they don't have those little ds things all the kids seem to have...but that's just my weird ways I guess

Hi DD,

My boys are now 5 and 2, and i have similar opinions about Kid's TV here in the UK.

My wife and i supervise everything they watch and never allow them to see any violence or excessive negativity in their viewing, as much as we can help it.

But sometimes, i am amazed at what the programmers imagine is suitable viewing for young children.

A lot of the programmes contain thinly veiled violence, weapons, domination themes etc, and as for the diction some of the presenters use!

I'm not a snob, nowhere near it actually, but i do want my kids to be able to at least speak properly!

I wrote and complained to the BBC about one of the presenters on a programme called 'The Green Balloon Club'...every day, she would come on to the screen saying things like 'somethinK', and 'nothinK'...it drove me bonkers, that a grown woman couldn't grasp there was in fact a 'g' on the end of the words and not a 'k'..she was effectively teaching many hundreds of thousands of our kids to speak like a chav!

Coincidentally or not, shortly afterwards she was replaced, although i never received a reply from the BBC.

That's not the worst of it though..

When we were viewing schools for our oldest, we looked at quite a few of them, and at one particular school, we were amazed to find the 'teachers' dressed very untidily, and that they actually stated to us (parents viewing their school, remember) 'Oh, we don't teach the kids to read or write in the reception class, we more or less allow them to do as they please!!

We were dumbfounded...needless to say, our son didn't go to that school.

But if a similar attitude is the norm rather than the exception, it's little wonder our kids seem to get thicker as the years roll by.

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by spikey

I was recently dumbfounded while talking with an intelligent and articulate adult who was unaware that:
- the sun is a star
- stars are enormous
- the earth revolves around the sun
- the reason the moon has phases, is that the earth casts a shadow.
- why there are seasons

I'm not sure what went wrong - obviously this stuff was taught at school. Amazing that it wasn't talked about at home. That's about when I decided to go out and buy a globe to teach my kids about stuff :-) Honestly I have no faith at all in the education system.

So don't feel bad about not knowing some of this stuff... BUT do something about it... This appears to be a good website (though I've not used it myself): www.watchknow.org...

I also use archive.org all the time for documentaries. And Wikipedia is a good source on many subjects - except conspiracies ;-)
edit on 14-3-2011 by latitude39 because: more detail added

top topics

<< 1   >>

join