It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone explain to me...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Can anyone explain to me why the sun is rising in a completely different position in the morning sky? I havnt been keeping track of where it sets and anything with the moon, but Im 100% positive that the suns position completely changed. Every morning it would rise right in the center of my window. There wasnt a gradual shift, all of a sudden it started rising wayyy to the left of its usual position.

Is this due to the Earth tilting further on its axis?

And another question ...

Is there anywhere you can check/track the tilt of the earth on its axis? When we look at a globe is tilted slightly, I'm pretty sure the world is currently almost fully on its side, although I forget where I saw this info. Has it been slowing tilting further and further , getting closer to a tipping point of some sort?

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by iversusvsversusi

Have you ever heard of different seasons?

The sun changes according to them.

VvV

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Can someone explain to me why the sea tide was all the way up the beach this morning then I walked passed at night........AND IT WAS GONE all the was out. Has this ever happened before or is all the water falling off the edge of the planet.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
If the Earth tilted fully on it's side (from the way it is when we look at a globe) the areas at the equator would have frigid weather like we see at the poles.

Also, the poles would be melting.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   

This picture should put it into perspective for you:

It's an accumulation of images of the sun every a day for 6 months.

As the earth rotates around the sun, the earth moves through the seasons due to the axial tilt.

Perhaps a quick google will help you out further?

edit on 15/2/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by RANDOMguess

Tides come in and out all the time, in some places the tide will come in and out several times a day.

Do a search for tide times for your local area.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I really hope you are just joking...

However, in the event that you are not...the Earth tilts as it rotates around the sun. There are 4 times a year note worthy...Winter Solstice...the Earth's Northern Hemisphere has tilted away from the Sun as much as it will...and starts to tilt back...that's why the days got shorter, and now why the days are getting longer...by about 1 minute in the morning and a minute in the evening...not much, but after 30 days or one month...you have an extra hour.

Now, as the tilt occurs, it appears that the Sunrise is moving...each morningit will gradually move from it's SouthEastern most rise to the north and eventually it's most Northeastern rise..

It will still trek Westward. Once we reach March21, it will be the midpoint of it's Northeastward movement...climaxing on June 21 with the Summer Solstice...the longest day of the year in the northern hemisphere...and then we see a reversal back to the South and shorter and shorter days.

Nothing wrong here, but visually...the change is more pronounced this time of year and more easily discernable...

Relax and enjoy another cup of coffee.... in a minute, I am going out to feed my animals and start my day...the Sun is right where it should be for mid february.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone
I really hope you are just joking...

This, quite frankly.

I mean c'mon. The sun rises in a different place every day, (comparativly) and the tide goes in and out every day, twice a day.

It's a question on everyones lips. What do they teach the kids at school these days!!

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Damn people are mean.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by iversusvsversusi
Damn people are mean.

we re not trying to be mean,, we re trying to point out the logical aspects of the earths rotation and offer a decent reason as to why .....

as to what the others said , i agree with them .....

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Damn people are mean.
It's not really people being mean, it's more that this is really basic stuff, like kindergarden simple stuff. This is the stufdf you learn when you're 6 or 7 years old. And at best, if you weren't taught this at school from an early age, a quick google would have answered your question. In the future, if in doubt, remeber, everything is spinning, but not at the same speed, which is why the sun and the moon are in different places in the sky every day/night.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Well thank you guys because now I understand. Tis why I dig this website.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I was being sarcastic to rhetorically answer the OP on her question. That's why I emphasize the point by also asking is the water falling off the edge of the planet. Thanks for taking the time to answering that tho...

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Damn people are mean.

No people aren't mean.

But what did you expect? Like the other posters state, this is rather basic knowledge.

vvV

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Tides come in and out all the time, in some places the tide will come in and out several times a day.

Ahh Chad...he was taking the mickey mate!

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   

I apologize if I offended...I was sincere in my effort to explain

On the otherhand, you obviously understand technology...you are here on ATS. However, I run into so many young people that do not understand basic...BASIC sciences, math, language, spelling, geography, political doctrines, the Constitution, civics, how to conduct basic transactions, basic...BASIC obligations and consequences of banking and credit accounts, paying bills, ... just how to conduct a semi normal and active lifestyle.

Case in point, I help manage a farm" feed and seed store." We have damaged dog food...bag gets torn or ripped while handling/unloading...we sell it half price to just get it out of the store. A young man asks how much is the dogfood...17.99 I reply, but since it is damaged...I'll sell it half price. After a brief pause..."How much is that?"

Or the young man that got mad at me for cutting only 36" of chain instead of 3 feet of chain.

I could go on...but I hope you get the point. I was not trying to belittle you...simply make you aware that this is basic science... easily explainable...and not worthy of alarm.

At this point...my co-worker, a semi retired contractor looks at me and says..." If China ever invades America, we're screwed."

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Damn people are mean.

Sorry I didn't mean to be mean, You just need to be more specific when asking questions because people will dissect what you say to get through the crap...and get an answer. No hard feelings...here have a flag

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

eeeer...

actually I think he was being sarcastic...

and the tides rotate on a 12 hour (ish) basis, 5 ish hours to go out, low for nearly an hour then push back in for 5 ish, high for nearly an hour go back out again etc etc, meaning they come in and go out twice a day, each day high tide will be 50 mins or so later in the day

op don't take it personally, you will never ever meet any of these people so need to worry

an idea if you want to keep a tab on the sun would be to use something stationary like a window frame or something and mark the suns position as it comes up each day, obviously you would have to be stood in the sa,e position as well

edit on 15-2-2011 by doubledutch because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

At this point...my co-worker, a semi retired contractor looks at me and says..." If China ever invades America, we're screwed."

More to the point, US allies would be somewhat screwed too.

Doesn't take a lot of brain power to aim and pull a trigger tbh..it's just getting hitting the enemy rather than the allies that seems to be a problem for a lot of US soldiers.

Seriously though, it's quite worrying that even basic education (or what most older generations would consider to be basic) seems to be beyond the wit of many younger people these days. And it's not just in the US either.

Fluoride, Aspartame, mercury vaccinations, and any number of toxins and pollutants regularly sequestered in our foods and drink are probably playing a big part in lowering kids IQ or ability to absorb knowledge.

It's quite worrying isn't it.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by spikey

It is quite worrying. And agin, not trying to be mean...you get out of a computer what you put into a computer...same can be said for an education and a child.

Hopefully,...and one reason why I enjoy this site despite myself at times...is that it does open eyes, educate to a degree, and make us aware of things going on around us.

Kind of sad that it takes a conspiratorial website to teach astronomy and geography.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join