It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Working for a living, in nature.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Hi,

Like so many people nowadays, I work to live... which is fine, It's so fine that I wouldn't have it any other way. We all need to work, and many of us do not, either by choice, or by no choice.

However, what we do in some cases is our choice, and so is the amount of hours we wish to sacrifice, and the location we wish to work out of.

Most people like being part of the world, having places to go, people to meet, schedules to keep, blackberry calendars with filled time slots 9 - 5, etc and so on...

I do not. I hate this. I don't belong there.

I've done it, I've been an Administrative Assistant to Director Generals, I've managed a warehouse, I've worked as a ski lift operator, Auto Part salesman and support, Security Guard, Cook and long haul truck driver...

None of these I can say I was terribly in love with... at all.

This is what I NEED... I need to breathe fresh air, and strain my muscles, I need to move around and think. I need to feel cold water splash up in face, and I need dirt under my finger nails, I need to have to sleep on the ground sometimes in the middle of nowhere, and have to build a fire or else possibly die of exposure. I need to be able to not worry about the grind when I'm playing with my son. I need to do just about ANYTHING that involves working in the wilderness... I'd even take a type of job you need to get dropped in by helicopter or airplane and stay for a week.

What I DON'T NEED... I don't need a ton of money, just enough to get me and my family by. I don't need flashy cell phones, a desk, a computer, the sound of printers, scanners and photocopiers. I don't need the smell of electrical currents and the hum of power. I don't need a ton of money, because money isn't what makes us happy. Well money makes some people happy, and money would buy me and my family the carefree existence, where I could go back to school and study marine biology, natural sciences... things I know so much of and could really get ahead in.

But I'm stuck... and I need help to find a way out.

Does anyone... ANYONE at all know of a job, employment, a means to make a living... as I described above? I've thought about it so much over the past few years... and no matter how my google search ends up "Wilderness Jobs", "Forestry Canada", "Jobs in the wild" ... I've yet to find something real... either I'm not qualified for it on paper (for government forestry jobs), but knowing that I can do it perfectly... or it's a seasonal job that you just can't depend on...

Does anyone... anyone at all have any ideas of what I could possibly be looking for? Like I said... I know what I want... I just don't know how to find it or what it's called.

Thank you so much for anything you may bring to the table.

Sincerely,

MP
edit on 14-2-2011 by mindpurge because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Lord, I've never lived where churches grow
I loved creation better as it stood

That day you finished it so long ago
And looked upon your work and called it good

I know that others find you in the light
That sifted down through tinted window panes

And yet I seem to feel you near tonight
In this dim, quiet starlight on the plains

I thank you, Lord, that I'm placed so well
That you've made my freedom so complete

That I'm no slave to whistle, clock or bell
Nor weak eyed prisoner of Waller Street

Just let me live my life as I've begun
And give me work that's open to the sky

Make me a partner of the wind and sun
And I won't ask a life that's soft or high

Let me be easy on the man that's down
Let me be fair and generous with all

I'm careless sometimes, Lord, when I'm in town
But never let them say I'm mean or small

Make me as big and open as the plains
And honest as the horse between my knees

Clean as a wind that blows behind the rains
Free as the hawk that circles down the breeze

Forgive me, Lord, if sometimes I forget
You know about the reasons that are hid

You understand the things that gall or fret
Well, you knew me better than my mother did

Just keep an eye on all that's done or said
And right me sometimes when I turn aside

And guide me on that long, dim trail ahead
That stretched upward toward the great divide

Johnny Cash
A cowboy's prayer

www.youtube.com...

edit on 14-2-2011 by AboveTheTrees because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
well said my friend!!

I am in alot of the same thinking as you. wasting time working for some greedy corporation who doesnt care about me or my happiness, or the harm it does to the world. it really sucks sometimes, and i too wish i could just do what i truly want to do.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Pack your family up in a car and dive out their. It maybe possible, but hard to find any work when so far away. Get out there and meet the locals. You will find something when you look. I know it is hard to break away when society tries to lock you in with so many ways. You sound resourceful and if willing to take on anything will find something.
edit on 14-2-2011 by kwakakev because: spelling 'willing'

new topics

top topics

join