It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlanta police agreed to back off citizens who videotape

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Atlanta police agreed to back off citizens who videotape

www.rawstory.com

The Atlanta police force will no longer tangle with citizens who videotape their actions in public, according to a recent settlement between citizen activists and the city.

"We commend the city for resolving a long-standing problem of police interfering with citizens who monitor police activity," Gerry Weber and Dan Grossman, the lawyers for the activists, told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution Thursday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Yay, Atlanta. This agreement had to be forced, of course, and whether it holds remains to be seen, but it's a positive step. Maybe it will set a precedent for other departments.

As someone who has been on the receiving end of this tactic/practice by police (for taking a simple picture at the end of a high-speed chase and a few other occasions), who marveled at how they even took the time and manpower to even come over and threaten to arrest me and break my camera, and who filed a few complaints as well (not to this degree), I can attest to the fact that Atlanta needed this to happen.. They do get brutal about this.

I have my own concerns about Copwatch and some of their activities and feel that there do need to be concessions made and precautions taken on both sides, but still think this was the correct decision by our local police department.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 2/14/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
One small victory, but it gives hope.

Secrecy can only breed evil. Truth strives in the light.

good find

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Please contribute to previously existing Breaking Alternative News story HERE.

Thank you.

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join