It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mummy Remains Show False Toes Helped Ancient Egyptians Walk *Pic*

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Mummy Remains Show False Toes Helped Ancient Egyptians Walk *Pic*

www.sciencedaily.com

Two artificial big toes -- one found attached to the foot of an ancient Egyptian mummy -- may have been the world's earliest functional prosthetic body parts, says the scientist who tested replicas on volunteers.

University of Manchester researcher, Dr Jacky Finch, has shown that a three-part wood and leather artefact housed in the Egyptian Museum in Cairo, along with a second one, the Greville Chester artificial toe on display in the British Museum, not only looked the part but also helped their toeless owners walk like Egyptians.

The toes date from before 600BC
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 2/13/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0e6d80adf6de.jpg[/atsimg]

Nothing new under the sun as the saying goes.

"My findings strongly suggest that both of these designs were capable of functioning as replacements for the lost toe and so could indeed be classed as prosthetic devices. If that is the case then it would appear that the first glimmers of this branch of medicine should be firmly laid at the feet of the ancient Egyptians."

The prosthetic looks prety good to me. The craftmanship is awesome. So many tend to assume that older civilizations were not as bright as we are. This shows me that they existed just fine.

Mods I searched. You know what to do if it needs doind. Thanks.

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 2/13/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
How interisting i had no idea they were useing prosthetics like that back then,the toe prosthetic looks very real for something that was all carved by hand and has stood the test of time well done thread S&F

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
It's amazing what the Ancient Kemites could do. The wood looks as though it's been drilled. Appears to have a smooth bore through some obviously tough wood since it's stood the test of time. They knew more than we give them credit for.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

I couldn't agree more. I stared at the pic for a good bit just thinking about how good it looked.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

Star for you too because even though I stared at this pic for a while I never thought about the bored holes. They do appear very well done. Good eye!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
reply to post by sugarcookie1

I couldn't agree more. I stared at the pic for a good bit just thinking about how good it looked.

\

It is beautiful. It's an improvement of the real thing

They must have really respected the high achieving craftsman they had. I've seen some jewellery they made first hand. The workmanship was outstanding. If you understand the way it was made, you can tell time was not an issue.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Wow amazing find.Why do people think the ancient peoples were primitive.They performed surgery on the head as well.
edit on 2/13/2011 by lonegurkha because: Lord please help me to learn to spell

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

I have read about that. The patient I read about survived for quite some time.

They obviously put a lot of pride into this, as the nail is not only carved but carved extremely well. They noticed the details and took the time to include them.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
reply to post by lonegurkha

I have read about that. The patient I read about survived for quite some time.

They obviously put a lot of pride into this, as the nail is not only carved but carved extremely well. They noticed the details and took the time to include them.

What I see is that they saw the beauty I the natural lines and accentuated them. It's stylised but close to perfect. This is a sophisticated design. Every detail is deliberate.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
A little bit hard to wear these without one of those.

Eco Shoe Source.

Thongs by some accounts can be considered the oldest form of footwear. Egyptian Hieroglyphics dating 15000 BCE depict images of footwear that closely resemble the modern day flip flop. The laborious construction of ancient footwear were of organic harvested materials like, wood, leaves, plants, grass, tree bark and coconut skin. Egyptians appear to be the first to employ vegetable tanning techniques and spun flax for thread to hold the shoes together. The Egyptians, also famous for their fondness of jewelry, would adorn their thongs with beads, metals, gold and precious stones. For those of you like me wondering, the name “flip flop” derived from the sound the shoe makes when walking. Flip Flops are universal footwear and concepts of the original design appear in ancient Rome, India, Asia South Africa and other countries. Other names for flip flops include Thongs, Jandals, and Chappal.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

This is interesting to say the least. I wonder if this can have any links to the fact that the Royal line of Egypt in ancient times, used to suffer with club foot, among other impressive deformities caused largely by the fact of thier inbreeding practices? Perhaps this might have something to do with the quality of the prosthesis that have been recovered. If podiatric medicine was something that was well established in Egypt due to the difficulties that the Royal line often had with thier feet, that might go some way to explaining the quality of the replacement parts that have been discovered!

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

Pretty difficult indeed. Very interesting footwear. Thanks for that.

new topics

top topics

join