It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this the next generation of Taser? Prison to test new laser beam to 'burn' fighting inmates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Is this the next generation of Taser? Prison to test new laser beam to 'burn' fighting inmates

www.dailymail.co.uk

It looks like something out of a video game, but this monstrous machine could come in very handy for breaking up prison fights.
The Assault Intervention Device (AID) emits an invisible laser-like beam to trigger a brief but painful burning sensation and has been touted as a new type of Taser gun.
Officials plan to set up the machine in a detention centre dormitory in Castaic, California, although it has not yet been given the green light by its federal sponsor.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Interesting...

I wonder if, as the corporate-ran, prison-industrial complex industry, which has been EXPLODING in recent years with all of the ridiculous myriad of nonsensical laws and infractions incarcerating literally half the populace, will begin working hand in hand with weapons corporations to begin using this type of technology more and more?

If something like this is approved and implemented, rest assured that the "microwave" weapons will be next in line to boil inmates. And does anybody think this will be merely relegated to "inmates" if approved? I could easily see this moving into other areas of the public arena, i.e., crowd dispersal, etc...

I will say that at least in the footage here it does not look too destructive, but these are of course controlled settings being used on volunteers, so who's to say the power can't be amped up to do some serious damage?

I'm on the fence with this one...

www.dailymail.co.uk (visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 13-2-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
this is very dangerous.

this will blind somebody if it unintentionally hits an eye. lasers can reflect off many things and bounce to unintended places, this puts everybody at risk around it whos not wearing the correct safety glasses.

and since its in the infrared spectrum, its all the more difficult to prevent.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
aren't tasers a form of cruel and unusual punishment. didn't the vietcong use a crude form of taser technology to punish and interrogate pows, attaching prongs to the skin and delivering jolts of electricity.

tasers are a form of torture, they should only be used on armed suspects who resist arrest. anyone who isn't armed should use good old fashioned police work and tackle suspects down. if its a mismatch wait for backup.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
This is actually not a new story...but I am concerned about other applications...technological force will only breed resentment...that is not how a society should be cultivated in my opinion...

There are ample ways to misuse this tech and ample ways, in our current state of multi ideologies, to misinterpret the need for its' application...

We are not heading down the right path for peace...only insuring that social dichotomy is centered squarely in our minds and enforced by those who have access...

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
How about when they use this type of 'weapon' to dispurse non-violent protests? No need for huge amounts of police presence anymore if all you have to do is beam the crowd... they'll get the message, eventually.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

If it is the next generation of taser, I think it should require the same training as the taser... you know, before you get a chance to use it on someone else, you have to have it used on you first?

I know not all police departments go by the rule, but I know of several who are require that officers have to be tazed or sprayed in the eyes with pepper spray before they can carry and/or use either of the two. Same should go for this.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
aren't tasers a form of cruel and unusual punishment. didn't the vietcong use a crude form of taser technology to punish and interrogate pows, attaching prongs to the skin and delivering jolts of electricity.

tasers are a form of torture, they should only be used on armed suspects who resist arrest. anyone who isn't armed should use good old fashioned police work and tackle suspects down. if its a mismatch wait for backup.

Big difference is, the Vietcong attached the leads to genitals and such.
The Tazer does not.

No, it is not cruel and unusual.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
This is actually not a new story...but I am concerned about other applications....

yes old tech,, when it came out a few years ago i downloaded the plans..
it was more like a microwave projector

I personally never built one,, but i was informed it could light trees in my backyard on fire,,, at 100 yards..!!!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Oops....delete

edit on 13-2-2011 by seeashrink because: cause I'm not real smart

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

I'm going to have a heck of a time getting that on my belt.
Seeashrink

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
This is neither a laser nor a taser. It is a form of directed energy weapon(DEW). Directed microwave energy is utilized for non lethal weapon system applications. Raytheon's Active denial System (ADS) is a non lethal, counter-personnel directed energy non-lethal weapon which can be used to protect fixed positions or from mobile as well as airborne platforms, against human targets at distances beyond the effective range of small arms. A similar system is currently at an initial development phase at applied physics lab of the the Israeli Technion. This appears to be a smaller version. I know plans are in the works for "man portable" versions.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Why should prison gaurds do the job they get paid for when you can spend a few hundred thousand more on some corporate manufactured monstrosity?

I mean if we are going to spend billions annually to house millions of Americans for victimless non-violent crimes that amount to nothing more than vices that morally offend a prudish minority, so they can labor as free corporate labor providing over priced goods and services to the government which we get to pay for too, then heck, lets torture them with these super expensive machines when they can't get along caged in closed quarters like animals!

I mean come on based on the above, what doesn't say 'great idea' about this?

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Relentless said it all really, it could be blinding and that is not dealt with in the article. It takes experts to perform a laser treament on the eye, and they want to give this to guards!!
edit on 13-2-2011 by smurfy because: Add text.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
As others have stated, it is nothing new, and is the same technology that the military is already using...how long before local police use it on the streets is my question...
We've already seen local police using the LRAD en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 2/14/2011 by AnonymousMoose because: added LRAD link

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy
Relentless said it all really, it could be blinding and that is not dealt with in the article. It takes experts to perform a laser treament on the eye, and they want to give this to guards!!
edit on 13-2-2011 by smurfy because: Add text.

The potential for misuse, for a little bit of torture, with these new toys rivals even those mighty tasers, I imagine you could be given quite a scare with these if one was to be pointed at your eye while you were held down, having already experienced the pain on your skin.

Of course the powers that be know this will go on, they've been funding and studying the psychological studies for years, they probably know the likely outcomes for various levels of the overcrowding that Proto mentioned.

They have to make prison unusually scary when they're collapsing an economy amidst world chaos and climate breakdown.

top topics

join