It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please for our sanity bring back the IGNORE feature!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by laterallateral

Ahh, but the beauty is one has the option to use it *or not*.

It's an option. I like to keep my options open. The more the better.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

reply to post by laterallateral

I understand both of your views on the issue.

The way I see it is this...Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

No matter how much I disagree with someone...no matter how much their opinion may frustrate or infuriate me...there may come that time where their post opens my eyes to some knowledge or point of view that I was not aware of before.

If I choose to put a member on ignore....I choose IGNORANCE...it's right there in the word IGNOR-ance. I will not turn a blind eye to anyones opinion just because in the past I have disagreed with them...nor will I ignore them even if I think in the past they haven't contributed to the topic in a meaningful way.

And we should also remember, that most of the time, what you may see as a "troll"...others may see as a voice of reason. It's all a matter of perspective...and our perspectives are biased.

So I will stand by my original statement...putting people on ignore is a sign of a weak mind.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Well I never actually ever used the ignore feature for anyone or anything.

I am just one of those people who are very picky about what they read. 98% of threads I never actually click on so the chances of me hitting a troll is around 5% because I am SELECTIVE.

Try that mblah, read the title and just pass to the next if it is of no interest.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAnuraOne
Not to instigate anything and frankly I am feeling a little paranoid to be honest, why so much dislike for new members? Is our insight and opinions not worth your precious time? I've seen alot of this attitude from older members who feel like ATS should be exclusive to them and other 'older' members only.

Where I agree in part that trolls are annoying, you shouldn't shut out a person completely. Maybe they were nervous and typed before they completely thought out what they wanted to say. Maybe emotions got in the way, etc. Since you would choose to ignore that person, maybe you would miss out on the thread of a lifetime, who knows?
. Odds are you wouldn't, but just saying.

Like I say, too much damn negativity and grandiose mentalities on ATS. Oh well.

This means you are assuming that anyone who chooses to use an ignore feature will not use it reasonably.
Some people only mean to cause flack and should be ignored. How can you be so sure that and why would you even care if it was overused? That's jumping the gun and lady in waiting is right... it's an option. i have no idea why anyone would speak out about an option they don't have to use. What it is appears to translate to is "awww, but if we allow an ignore option, it won't be so easy to stir our silly little pots"

Surely that isn't you... So what drives you to speak out against it.

I mean try to look at it logically and try to see what it says about management of this place. It doesn't matter though, because whether this board has honest members who don't try to start charades or not, the site will get hits... and someone is obviously having a lot of fun with this trolling. I also imagine that many of them are quite drunk and the obnoxiousness of contrived threads and posts makes me feel very discouraged when i think about mankind as a whole. What this is, is a true color being exposed about an inner part of people and the color is truly disgusting. In real life people are much more able to look at someone who is being ridiculous and walk away, knowing their face and name unless it was by a complete stranger they never have to see again. this is some disgusting twisted view of the inner workings of many human minds that I'd rather ignore and not be reminded of how many people in the world are really that lame. I go into a thread that might of interest and someone has come in and started a bunch of contrived nonsense and i can turn around and leave... yes, that's true.... BUT HOW LAME CAN PEOPLE BE?
I lead a boring yet crazy life. I probably have a lot weird things to say, but for the love of GOD! I am not sitting here trying to think of a way to aggravate people on the internet. It makes me sad actually. This is why life is so difficult.... because people who are not labeled as such should be regarded as mentally retarded and they are not and we have to live with these people in society and they get to hide behind a computer screen and annoy others to get a cheap, pathetic thrill off of seeing how many people can be riled by a certain subject that they don't even believe in or have any true story to add to it. It's so pathetic. There is no hope for us as a species I swear. Right as we speak, there is someone sitting behind their computer screen on a peaceful Sunday evening rubbing their twisted hands together saying "watch this....hehehehe" to one of their stupid friends and then when someone bites the bait thinking they may actually be speaking from a place of truth they are probably rejoicing in their pathetic little jollies thinking "hahaha.... this person bought that and is arguing with me"

I have a better idea. let's just start shooting full of # people. We don't need them. They do nothing productive but contribute to the booze industry. I just want to SHAKE them. Shake them HARD! I just want to look at them and say "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH YOUR POOR BRAIN CELLS. WHY ARE YOU SO PATHETIC. BE SOMEBODY. BE ABOUT SOMETHING. STOP TRYING TO SOT PEOPLE ON THE #ING INTERNET YOU PATHETIC LOSER WASTE OF OXYGEN LIFE YOU. THIS IS NOT HOW LIFE IS LIVED. THIS IS NOT HOW GOALS ARE ACHIEVED. THIS IS NOT HOW THINGS ARE ACCOMPLISHED FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WHY IS YOU BRAIN SO DEFECTIVE WHAT THE HELL ARE WE GOING TO DO WITH YOUR SORRY FAKE STUPID PRETENSIOUS CRAPPY SENSE OF HUMOR SELF... there is no hope, there is no hope... where do they come from, why are they here with us in this world. What the hell went wrong with these people?

*heave*

Sorry, got a little carried away there but it really gripes my ass.

Like "LET'S WASTE PEOPLES TIME... THIS IS WHAT WE CALL FUN... IF WE HAD REAL TOYS AND NOT JUST INTERNETZ WE COULD REALLY MAKE STUPID # HAPPEN.

How does anyone get to be such a #ing loser that internet trolling because entertainment? HOW?

WHAT IF THAT PATHETICNESS IS CYBER-CONTAGIOUS?

Really? REALLY? Do we have to CONSTANTLY be reminded how big of a loser some of us are? It's frightening!
We should making large cans of something to spray on these people until the turn over on their backs and start twitching and management is apparently.... "learn to love, learn to love, give others a chance" NO.

NO!

STOP FEEDING THEM! Let their miserable easily amused asses crawl off and die!

It is the humane thing to do for such a hopeless life. What kind of heartless humanity have we become where we don't teach better and allow this pitiful mode of functioning to exist? They are clearly suffering in the head and we condone it.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaosMagician

ChaoMagician, that was ... AWESOME!
I mean, I never liked trolls, now I think I might hate them. LOL. I think that post should be THE example as the 'mother of all thread killers'

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAnuraOne
reply to post by ChaosMagician

ChaoMagician, that was ... AWESOME!
I mean, I never liked trolls, now I think I might hate them. LOL. I think that post should be THE example as the 'mother of all thread killers'

...Yikes!

Bites tongue. (Sorry, I got a little carried away)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I have to admit that I agree with you, and would love the feature back.. I hate how ATS now feels.. and am getting to the point that I no longer want to start threads, or even post comments.

But for me it is the nasty snide comments or those who look down their nose at others that I have a great distaste for and would rather have the ability again to remove their posts from sight.. and since the feeling is usually reciprocal it brings peace of mind to know they can do the same to me.

To be honest most of the time I only used the ignore feature on a thread by thread basis.. But right now ATS does not feel like a nice place and throwing in the towel seems the best, and only way forward.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I loved the ignore feature.
I would fill it up with trolls and once a month I would check the accounts of the people on my ignore list.
They were usually banned.

It was nice not having to read their garbage.
Denying ignorance shouldn't mean embracing idiocy.

Bring back the ignore button!!!!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Ok, a couple of days ago, I was against the ignore button feature being brought back. However, my opinion has now changed. I cannot get rid of this stalker who keeps annoying the flock out of me.

Sorry, mblah. I now see WHY you want it back

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

I think your method of using the ignore feature on a thread by thread basis is excellent!
I really miss the ignore button too, if you could ignore a certain posters comments for a thread if they are clearly trolling i would use the site more.
would it really hurt the flow of knowledge and information anyway? I agree that the standard of threads has plummeted recently as many have commented and i find myself visiting the site less and less now.
Another vote for the ignore button here.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join