It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please for our sanity bring back the IGNORE feature!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I can't take it anymore. The trolls and morons on here are enough to make me go insane! I am tired of alerting mods all the time to idiots on here. It kills my personal read time on ATS which is limited now and I dont like having to alert to the stupid half arsed posts on here lately. Mods must be going crazy if I am and I am not even a mod! Duplicates are out of control, one liners, arguing, mud slinging the whole nine yards. Did school completely stop or did all the FBers who "liked" ats sign up to post crap? Someone please explain to me what happened on here recently?!

PLEASE I am begging you bring back the ignore button. It was a great feature that MANY would like to utilize again.

I dont like reading any forum I enjoyed previously because it seems there is nothing but ignorant trolls in them posting.

Yes Im ranting so before you snap at me this IS the RANT forum so get over it.

I have been on here for two years and the last couple months have been annoying and not enjoyable for me to read ATS and I know many who feel the same way.

I WANT TO IGNORE IGNORANT TROLLS!!!

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

seconded......

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

The only bad thing is, it had a limit of 10.

You could easily fulfil and pass that limit in one thread, let alone one forum.

I used it also, but had to learn to just scroll on past.

I understand your rant, and raise you one!

But, I think we have surpassed the 10 person limit, and it would need to be changed to 50 or 100.

edit on 12-2-2011 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I still say that instead of something like Ignore they should implement something like what SlashDot uses where each post has a karma ranking and the reader can set their threshold of karma level to hide.
edit on 2/12/2011 by Terrormaster because: spelling correction

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
How about just skipping over the trolls and moronic posts? It is not that hard. I've ran into a few threads that are without any research and contain just one line or two and yet ATSers' manage to give that troll all the attention it wants. Some ATSers probably love being baited but if you have sense, just skip over posts and threads you don't like. It is that simple. There's a golden nugget in every basket of coal if that makes sense.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Sorry mblah, I say no.

Dont let them get to you. Were all on edge at the moment because of trolls. Hopefully its just a phase and ATS will return to normal as soon as poss.

Your a tough lady
you can get through this. lol.

The ignore feature serves no purpose, tough it out the ATS way.

Laters.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by DevilJin
How about just skipping over the trolls and moronic posts? It is not that hard. I've ran into a few threads that are without any research and contain just one line or two and yet ATSers' manage to give that troll all the attention it wants. Some ATSers probably love being baited but if you have sense, just skip over posts and threads you don't like. It is that simple. There's a golden nugget in every basket of coal if that makes sense.

Im sorry you missed the point. There are too many trolls lately and it is ANNOYING.

I am tired of having to go thru pages of crap just to get information. It's getting ridiculous. Most are new members that are trashing the site imo. I would rather ignore them permanently than have to constantly scroll thru pages to find the information.

Also I don't read certain members threads because they are annoying trolls but I would rather not see their name at all.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by John Q

Sorry mblah, I say no.

Dont let them get to you. Were all on edge at the moment because of trolls. Hopefully its just a phase and ATS will return to normal as soon as poss.

Your a tough lady
you can get through this. lol.

The ignore feature serves no purpose, tough it out the ATS way.

Laters.

I hope it's a phase because I don't even read ATS anymore like i use to. It's nothing like it use to be and it just irks me.

Is that a Prodigy avy? I like it

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
You have to take the time to read a moronic post to know it's trollbait. If you ignore the poster once you've read it and get a dose of whatever game they are playing, you ignore all future trollbait from that poster which is what they are here for. Plus, when people start ignoring them and they are not getting the reactions they are looking for... many will leave. Even though it seems unthinkable, they may simply just be trying to annoy a select few people who have crossed them or reported them or whatever and not just attention seeking. In that case, if they are ignored by their targets... they will eventually disappear. Not all, but def many. If we are allowed to ignore some of the crap, then a standard is also allowed to be set.

My thoughts are that ATS wants *new* members... and isn't so concerned about older members because after the ad cycles they are no longer unique hits. ATS is most interested in those people who just wonder in from google and start looking around for answers then go away and maybe come back to look for other things...so their searches are counted in the ad campaigns. They make troll threads and this contributes to unique hits as well. If a regular user comes back everyday for a month just to check a few of the same threads... they are not contributing much to unique hits in the impression ads.

It's not a phase in my opinion because of growth. It's an infestation unwanted by members but contributes to growth so it is tolerated.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Things are getting bad. If it isn't cleaned up soon may say adios.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by John Q

ATS will return to normal as soon as possible

Hello JQ. The current status quo is the new "normal".

What you see is what you get. For every troll that is banned, a new one will take his place shortly.
For every thread that is 404'd, a new one surfaces within minutes.

It is what it is. ATS used to be a community, and now it's a "city". lol.
Cities are a nice place to visit, but I'm not sure I want to live in one.

I still do check in for a while everyday. It's still a good site.

As to the ignore feature....I never used it. But I still miss it?

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Not to instigate anything and frankly I am feeling a little paranoid to be honest, why so much dislike for new members? Is our insight and opinions not worth your precious time? I've seen alot of this attitude from older members who feel like ATS should be exclusive to them and other 'older' members only.

Where I agree in part that trolls are annoying, you shouldn't shut out a person completely. Maybe they were nervous and typed before they completely thought out what they wanted to say. Maybe emotions got in the way, etc. Since you would choose to ignore that person, maybe you would miss out on the thread of a lifetime, who knows?
. Odds are you wouldn't, but just saying.

Like I say, too much damn negativity and grandiose mentalities on ATS. Oh well.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Can I join your rant too?

Never do I participate in these threads, simply because in my short time here I've noticed that the complaints will never ever cease... whether it be in the Board & Business forums, BTS, or in any other forum.

However, I am honestly afraid that the elitist attitude put on by some "senior members" (whatever the hell that means) at times is going to be the eventual downfall of not only ATS, but numerous other websites as well. I've seen some very good contributions by people who have recently signed up...more so the last few months than in recent memory. I can only guess as to how many new people are put off by posting here based on the level of intimidation that is prevalent.

Everyone has gotta walk before they crawl, and this is true on the interwebs as well. Look through some old threads, you will be surprised at how some of the "elites" here at ATS were not the cream of the crop back then...they were still learning and growing.

As far as the ignore feature, I must respectfully disagree. The obvious trolls will be dealt with accordingly I'm sure, and in a timely manner. As far as members who you feel are trolls whose posts and threads you'd rather not see well, from personal experience, I've felt the same way too, until I realized that you know, sometimes the world does not confirm to my ideas and understanding, and sometimes, someone I previously blew off actually has something to add to my growth.

Are there Trolls and Morons here? Yes, but this is the Internet after all. Just like society, there are cliques and people with the "holier than thou" attitude. I swear sometimes ATS is no better than a high school lunchroom.

/Rant
edit on 2/13/2011 by Juston because: Silly spelling mistake

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

I hope it's a phase because I don't even read ATS anymore like i use to. It's nothing like it use to be and it just irks me.

Its a phase trust me. With us joining sites like facebook, twitter, etc were attracting people that dont want to be here. Theyre bored and were easy targets cos we think outside of the box.

I reckon about a month or two and the trolls would of died down or died out. Once theyve gone, then Im sure there will be a new problem for us to deal with.. phases.. its ATS, its how we roll here.

Yeah, Im loving my new avy too..

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

It is what it is. ATS used to be a community, and now it's a "city". lol. Cities are a nice place to visit, but I'm not sure I want to live in one.

Yeah, I do miss the community feel we used to have here. We were once a very tight community that was spread out across the world, it felt like you could talk to anyone about anything, have a laugh, share your worries but weve lost all that.. and by doing so weve let the trolls in.

So many people here now, I dont think we can ever get the community side of ATS back to how it was. Shame really, weve lost a big part of what it meant to be an ATS member.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Originally posted by DevilJin

Im sorry you missed the point. There are too many trolls lately and it is ANNOYING.

I am tired of having to go thru pages of crap just to get information. It's getting ridiculous. Most are new members that are trashing the site imo. I would rather ignore them permanently than have to constantly scroll thru pages to find the information.

Also I don't read certain members threads because they are annoying trolls but I would rather not see their name at all.

I didn't miss the point. The world isn't perfect. If you had your way, you'd probably go mad and ignore every troll there is and every new member that makes a nonsensical comment or an awful thread on a topic you like. The trolls have obviously gotten to you so much that you have to make a rant about it. Again, RELAX and IGNORE the troll. It is NOT that hard.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Op should learn a trait, just ignore it without any buttons. People hate me on this board and try to wind me up, i neither ever reported there posts or try and reply to them. But i wonder how many here, complain about my posts. If you do not like my posts people, ignore me, its your problem.

edit on 2/13/2011 by andy1033 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
To me, ignoring someone is a sign of a weak mind. Aren't we all intelligent enough and sophisticated enough to just read over posts we consider "trollish"? And who makes that determination anyway...the OP? Sounds like the OP is ALERT happy to begin with. If anything is driving the mods crazy, I would suspect that it is overzelous members who alert everytime they disagree with someone.

And honestly OP...all I ever see you do is complain....pot....kettle...get to know each other.
edit on 13-2-2011 by MindSpin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by MindSpin

I'm finding myself agreeing with mblah to be honest. At the same time, I sort of agree with what you said in your post.

I mean, sure It may be a sign of a "weak mind" to some to place a member on an ignore list thus hiding their posts completely from view as opposed to simply scrolling over that post and moving on, but you need to realize that some members here seem to be absolutely determined to spread the same hate over and over again, in a variety of different threads. And who wants to see that all the time? Not me? Obviously a great deal of other members here agree also.

And I'd hazard a guess that if someone else started spreading hate in all of the topics you yourself frequent, you'd feel the same way.

Sometimes scrolling over those posts just isn't enough as well. Sometimes we need to vent and sometimes we need to get our viewpoint across. After all, isn't that why we frequent this website as a whole? To get our views across on topics we both agree and disagree with? And don’t you agree that it can on occasions get a little bit annoying to take the time and put the thought into a post and then come across the same old drivel over and over again?

For that reason, I vote to bring back the ignore button. I really think It's needed here.

And that’s coming from someone who never used It in the past.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by MindSpin

It's not a question of tolerance, it's a matter of pragmatism.
If I open a thread that proposes an interesting topic, I'd like to get straight at the intelligent, constructive conversation.

The ability to identify and ignore information that is of no value to our interests is essential to the the quest for knowledge. I would think that a forum that waves the 'Deny Ignorance' flag so high would want to facilitate that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join