It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Analysis: Military coup was behind Mubarak's exit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Analysis: Military coup was behind Mubarak's exit

apnews.myway.com

A statement, tellingly referred to as "communique number 1" - phrasing that in the Arab world suggests a coup - made no mention of Mubarak or Suleiman.

The council, it said, met to "discuss what measures and arrangements could be taken to safeguard the homeland and its achievements and the aspirations of the great Egyptian people."

Translation: The generals are in charge, not Mubarak, not Suleiman nor the Cabinet.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Interesting story, which does raise a few questions worth asking in all this, namely, who REALLY is in charge of Egypt at this time?

I had assumed based on many of the developments that Mubaraks torturer in chief---Omar Suleiman, was the successor, but this story seems to indicate that NONE of his cabinet is calling the shots anymore?

Did the Egyptian military stage a coup, and are they in full control now? And if so, is this a good or bad thing?

Discuss please...

apnews.myway.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
The army is in charge and has been since day one they could have stop the protesters on day one if they wanted to,
its a good thing for the US because we own the Egyptian army to the tune of 1.2 billion a year america and the CIA made this coup possible with there influence over the army imo. the prez would have had the protesters shot dead in the street id he had any real power he has not had any real power in 5-10 years

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
As I posted in another thread
Egypt Trades Torture Supervisor for 'Mubarak's Poodle'?
abcnews.go.com...

A leaked U.S. State Department cable posted on the website Wikileaks, which cited "academics and civilian analysts," called Tantawi "Mubarak's poodle" and said mid-level officers in the Egyptian military were infuriated by his incompetence and blind loyalty to Mubarak.

It was the people who forced President Hosni Mubarak from power, but it is the generals who are in charge now. Egypt's 18-day uprising produced a military coup that crept into being over many days - its seeds planted early in the crisis by Mubarak himself.

The telltale signs of a coup in the making began to surface soon after Mubarak ordered the army out on the streets to restore order after days of deadly clashes between protesters and security forces in Cairo and much of the rest of the Arab nation.
apnews.myway.com...
"This is in fact the military taking over power," said political analyst Diaa Rashwan after Mubarak stepped down and left the reins of power to the armed forces. "It is direct involvement by the military in authority and to make Mubarak look like he has given up power."

"It is direct involvement by the military in authority and to make Mubarak look like he has given up power."

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
if the US could have used social media to over throw sadam that would have saved the US alot of money and american blood this was IMO the best use of social media and US money we have seen in a very long time Obama did a great job moving the american agenda for democratizing the middle east forward this is a huge win for america and the Egyptian people and for stability in the middle east for the future the american goverment has some intelligent people in charge now and it shows.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Ill be... you dont say..

S and f...

I would say good find, but this is your standard fare... I actually pride myself when I find something you have not found yet...

As for the egyptians I have to ask... someone I could have sworn said a field test was coming of control methods...

Fall of leader...
no real bloodshed...
military still controls major things..

it has the markings of what this poster describe would be happening... I cant remember who it was... It was someone who beat me to the thought...

This game has been called already... its rigged....

even at the outside it was a US looking operation..... As for if the military being in control is a good thing, only time will tell... most are corrupt and no real warriors... it seems to be more of a club... keep this in mind

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by pez1975
The army is in charge and has been since day one ....

Personally, I think they were in charge long before the protesting began.

It would explain the lack of reality shown for recent events by government announcements and reaction to the situations that followed.

It would also help explain why the military took a back seat and let things "roll", knowing full well where they were headed and what it was going to be doing in the time around and following Mubarak's downfall.

So I'm left with the sour taste in my mouth that it was 1.5 billion dollars of funding from the U.S. that helped support the Egyptian military every year....hmmm.

Let's hope the Egyptian people keep up their intention of actively taking a role in the development of their new country and it's new government. Many outside eyes are also watching closely.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Of course a coup has been staged. Israel and the United States cannot afford to have Egypt fall into the hands of "a peoples government". Next thing you know (or won't even hear
) is opposition leaders being jailed, and a new Mubarak will take the stand.

Life in the day of politics. What an ugly ugly world.
edit on 12-2-2011 by BiGGz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Egypt government officials banned from traveling abroad
Information Minister Anas el-Fiqqi did not board a planned flight to London after new measures announced.

www.haaretz.com...

Egypt's military relaxed a nighttime curfew Saturday and banned current and ex-government officials from traveling abroad without permission in its first moves since taking power after President Hosni Mubarak's ouster.
A Cairo airport official said there is a list of former regime members and current officials with state institutions who are not allowed to leave the country without permission from the state prosecutor or the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to release the information, declined to identify those on the list. But he said Information Minister Anas el-Fiqqi sent his luggage but did not appear for a planned flight to London Saturday, apparently after hearing of the ban.

These instructions are meant to prevent any people who were in charge in the previous era from fleeing, the airport official said.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I have had the faint suspicion that the military and Muburak's people were working together behind the scenes so that he could relinquish power. As for a coup as is speculated? I am on the fence regarding that? Coups have always been for the most part violent and unpredictable. There was no mass arrests of the Egyptian President's people, no seizure of vital government facilities, or serious loss of life. It seemed like an orderly transfer for those in the know, regardless of the mayhem and bedlam on the streets.

Therefore, the military did not take it upon themselves to seize control through force, but waited the thing out patiently. I think Muburak and his advisers met in some situation room with the military brass to discuss ways to rescind power and maintain order in the instance of his departure. It is going to be interesting to see how the military and the politicians are going to sort things out in the coming months? In crisis situations like the one in Egypt, the military is a sword not a scalpel. With high stakes political situations, the military is not a good instrument to use. It will be an historical affair if the military will be able to ensure that fair and legitimate elections are held, and a viable democracy is installed in Egypt? The world does not need another Junta akin to what is going on in Burma or elsewhere.
edit on 12-2-2011 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Throughout the crisis, the military had to maintain favour with the protesters because there was every possibility that they would have to take charge at some point. With either Mubarak/Suleiman or an opposition figure in power, someone would have been unhappy and the protests could have continued and escalated. The military wanted to be seen as being behind the people, regardless of whom they supported; a happy medium.

Hossam Badrawi, who was appointed Secretary General of the NDP when Mubarak’s son resigned on the 5th Feb, asked Mubarak to step down on the 9th. He announced this on the 10th and said that Mubarak would step down (or rather “aside”) that night, handing power over to Suleiman.

When Mubarak refused to step down later that night and it became clear that protests would have continued and escalated if either Mubarak or Suleiman were in power, it is more likely than not that full responsibility for a resolution was placed into the hands of the military at this point. I suspect that the military gave Mubarak an ultimatum, hand power over to us and retain a measure of honour and dignity, or we will remove you forcefully with all of the unpleasantness that will and could possibly come with that option.

From the very start, it was clear that the military wanted as peaceful a resolution to the crisis as possible, and Mubarak was relying entirely on their backing anyway. They could have taken control at any time, they simply waited until it was clear that the most risky course of action was to do nothing.

Or alternatively; IT WAS ALL COS OF THE CIA!!

top topics

join