It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World Press Photo 2010 contest winners

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
WARNING: Some photos may contain images of a somewhat graphical nature.

I just happened across these pics, and found a few to be quite interesting, so I decided to share.

The 1st Prize Daily Life Stories of the 2011 World Press Photo Contest by Martin Roemers, The Netherlands, Panos Pictures. Metropolis.

The 2nd prize Spot News Stories of the 2011 World Press Photo contest by Corentin Fohlen, France, Fedephoto, of anti-government riots in Bangkok, Thailand, May 2010.

The 1st Prize General News Single of the World Press Photo 2011 contest by Riccardo Venturi, Italy, Contrasto, shows the old Iron Market burning, Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Jan. 18, 2010.

The 1st Prize Spot News Singles category of the 2011 World Press Photo contest by Peter Lakatos, Hungary, MTI, shows a suicide jump, Budapest, Hungary, May 22, 2010

The 1st prize General News Stories of the World Press Photo 2011 contest by Olivier Laban-Mattei, France, Agence France-Presse, shows a man throwing a dead body at the morgue of the general hospital, Port-au-Prince, Jan. 15, 2010

The top winning photo is featured on the cover of the new Time Magazine.

Bibi Aisha, an 18-year-old woman from Oruzgan province in Afghanistan, who fled back to her family home from her husband's house, complaining of violence. The Taliban arrived one night, demanding Bibi be handed over to face justice. After a Taliban commander pronounced his verdict, Bibi's brother-in-law held her down and her husband sliced off her ears and then cut off her nose. Bibi was abandoned, but later rescued by aid workers and the American military. Aisha now lives in the US. The photo, taken by Jodi Bieber, was named World Press Photo of 2010 on Feb. 11, 2011.

This was the source I used. 18 pics on this page www.cbsnews.com...
Just going to add that there are 22 pics on here, so a few extra.www.telegraph.co.uk...

I do feel sorry for this girl, and almost didn't add this photo to here. I personally think that she is probably having a hard enough time dealing with what has happened to her, that she most likely doesn't want any extra attention. I know I wouldn't if I was in her shoes, but I am not sharing these to glorify what happens. I am just posting these pics, because these are some of the real events that plague our world.

P.S.- wasn't sure what forum this should be in, but since they are 2010 pics, current events didn't seem appropriate. Please move if needed.

edit on 2/12/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
The girl in the bottom photo was actually on the cover of a magazine not too long ago. I saw it when I was in line at the grocery store. And yes, some of the photos are quite disturbing, but people need to know what really goes on in the world and without photographs like these most people would not know.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

The images are very powerful, I have wondered why there was no talk of aid, and donations, as in most disasters. If they had just given clean water to drink, it would have saved so many lives. The earthquake was bad enough but the deaths from disease was not necessary. It just makes you wonder.

join