It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controlling the press Russian Style, with Assassination!!! Must Read!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
ATS is full of conspiracies concerning the western media, how they are all corrupt or being controlled by the evil hand of the NWO. Although I do agree that the media is corrupt to some extent and politically biased with an elite of wealthy owners, I do not believe that everything in the MSN is lies nor do I subscribe to the theories that the media is controlled by the NWO. However many ATSter will disagree strongly with this statement, they have become obsessed by everything NWO and are convicted their media is being controlled. It’s not, but if you look at the Russian media then yes it is being controlled but not by the fictitious evil Jewish NWO, but by the Russian states use of assassination to intimidate journalists, especially of issues concerning Chechnya. This is a real conspiracy going on all the time that has been largely ignored by ATS because you’re all too busy looking in the wrong place, a place that does not exist.

Anyway on with the guts of this thread.

The systematic killing of Russian journalists that had lead to the international federation of journalists launching an inquiry into the deaths of Russian journalists from 1993-2009 and found that 313 journalists went missing or were killed. Further to this 124 of these deaths were directly related to their work, such as cross fire and 19 were almost definitely assassinated as a direct result of their investigative journalism.

This wiki link gives a good account of the deaths of these journalists.

List of journalists killed in Russia

Here is one classical example of a Russian journalist being killed reported in the inquiry.

At around 9 pm on 9 October 2003 Alexei Sidorov, chief editor of the Togliatti Review, left the newspaper’s offices in the city centre. He drove home and parked his car a few blocks away from his apartment. When Sidorov reached the corner of the block of flats where he lived he was attacked and stabbed repeatedly. He managed to reach the stairwell entrance and call for help. The ambulance only arrived forty minutes later by which time Sidorov was dead. Following Valery Ivanov’s murder Alexei Sidorov took over as chief editor of the newspaper in May 2002. The appointment was not universally popular and certain of the staff left to work for a rival publication. The Togliatti Review lost some of its edge, appearing less frequently and including fewer dramatic exposés. There was a drop in the print run, the paper experienced financial difficulties and there was talk of selling it to a new owner.

It’s fair to say that his death was certainly advantageous to the Russian state, and this story is not un-common. Perhaps the most famous story of a Russian journalist being assassinated in recent times is the assassination of Anna Politkovskaya in 2006. She was writing a book exposing the Putin administrations atrocities during the Chechnya conflict when one day in 2006, following several death threats she was shot dead in the lift up to her apartment. A week later the former KGB spy Alexander Litvenenko publicly accused the Russian president Vladimir Putin of sanctioning the assassination, two days before his death Litvenenko said

Name the bastard. Anna Politkovskaya did not do it, so I will, for both of us...You may succeed in silencing one man but the howl of protest from around the world will reverberate, Mr Putin, in your ears for the rest of your life. May God forgive you for what you have done, not only to me but to beloved Russia and its people".

Two days later he was poisoned to in a London restaurant by a former KGB agent, this eventually lead to his death.

Freedom of the press in Russia does not exist, of 175 states it’s ranked at 153 for its freedom of press that is behind states like Iraq and Zimbabwe. This is disgusting, it’s a complete violation of freedom of press, journalists are being killed by the Russian state with a agenda to control the press through violence and intimidation, this thread really is the tip of the ice berg, this is massive. ATS should have a whole forum dedicated to the suspicious deaths of Russian journalists, this is a real conspiracy, it’s happening now, just open your eyes.

edit on 11-2-2011 by kevinunknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
the cia and mossad bombed al jazeera and although they gave a warning so people could escape, i do not really see the difference. also the us just makes any journo that speaks against tptb, seem like a weirdo peodophile who wishes murder on senators(or something along those lines) to discredit their information.(look at whats happened to assange)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

I've read Politkovskaya's book "A Russian Diary" - pretty interesting.

And as I live near Russia I know just how "democratic" and "free" it really is.

I hope more people from west who might be ignorant of Russian government atrocities open their eyes.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Every country has their own dark ways of dealing with elements of opposition or truth seekers. Only thing that can help to reveal the truth is the internet (if it doesnt get blocked or sensored).

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Thanks for this! It's really interesting. Journalism in my opinion is extremely important because it gives everyone an opportunity to share their viewpoints on a situation and can open up people's minds to clashing ideas. This allows people to make informed decisions and encourages the idea of thinking for yourself. It's a shame that Russia doesn't allow this ;__;

Russia has the second position in the world in the number of journalists killed in the last ten years while doing their job, according to the report of the International News Safety Institute (INSI). The first place is given to Iraq, where war was going on quite recently. Russian journalists mainly become victims of contract murders, says the report.

Source.

Russia is ranked as the third deadliest place in the world to be a journalist and the ninth worst country for solving journalist murders.

Source.

Tlisova has faced persistent government intimidation and persecution for her reports on the Kremlin's often brutal efforts to suppress the Islamic and Chechen insurgencies in the North Caucasus. In 1998, she was severely beaten and hospitalized for two months; the perpetrators were never identified. From 2004 to 2007, Tlisova was arrested and detained five times with no legal explanation, and in 2005 she was abducted by Federal Security Service (FSB) agents, who burnt cigarettes on her fingers.

Source.

In the article linked to above Fatima Tlisova gave a presentation to the National Endowment for Democracy, about the harassment and oppression of journalists who dare to report the truth.

In her presentation titled “Brutal Censorship: Targeting Journalists in the North Caucasus”, Fatima profiled eight journalists who have been marginalized by the Kremlin through forced exile, unjustified criminal prosecution or institutionalization or outright execution. Like Natalya Estemirova, who from 2006-2009 reported for Novaya Gazeta and Kavkazki Uzel. In 2009, she was abducted and assassinated, leaving her daughter an orphan; Russia subsequently refused permission to the United Nations to conduct an investigation of Estemirova’s murder. Having personally known the late journalist, Tlisova was visibly moved during this part of her presentation.

Tlisova also offered policy recommendations on how the international community could support press freedom in Russia, including the implementation by foreign embassies and NGOs of rescue operations for human rights activists and journalists in danger.

edit on 11-2-2011 by Rockdisjoint because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by archasama

I have read Putin’s Russia found it to be a fantastic book, really shows the difference between the real Russia and the Russia depicted in the media.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

As a counter point to the deaths of TRUE journalists I would like to add this:

...The 1933 Famine Genocide in Ukraine was covered up for years by the Soviets and the Western media.

Joseph Stalin, with his agriculture minister Lazar Kaganovich, intentionally orchestrated a mass famine in the Ukraine.

In the space of just one year, approximately seven million Ukrainian people died at the hands of the Soviet's brutal agricultural policies.

Over 25'000 people died every day of starvation, malnutrition and disease.

Prominent Western writers, such as Englishman George Bernard Shaw and American Walter Duranty, wrote elaborate stories supporting the myth that there was no famine.

President Roosevelt had ulterior motives, and Duranty's reports provided the perfect media backdrop to secure a trade agreement with Stalin without any dissent....

Duranty told us how there was no genocide, and it was all lies and anti-Communist propaganda. We believed him. His lies were so compelling that he won the Pulitzer Prize in 1933. Two British journalists wrote about the genocide in the Ukraine and Duranty dismissed them as fiction. The American public believed him. These two journalists, Gareth Jones and Malcolm Muggeride, were only praised for their factual contribution to history once they had died.... www.truth-it.net...

So YES the media in the USA LIES!

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
this is a prime example of George Soros'
Open Society in Russia.

Remember it was Soros who helped drop
the Iron Curtain and usher in his democracy.

Don't look so good with this type data
being flaunted.

And I remember you Kevin coming on
my thread "wikileaks exposed" and praising
the man. How's Soros' Open Society in
Russia looking now ???

Not so good for 313 dead journalists.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Just to add this news

Guardian's Moscow correspondent expelled from Russia

Luke Harding's removal thought to be the first of a British staff journalist from the country since end of cold war

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

None of these deaths have anything to do with George Soros , the blood of these journalists is on the Russian governments hands. Not your fictitious all encompassing NWO.

Its sad on ATS when a member points out a genuine conspiracy, such as the assassination of Russian journalists by the state to suppress freedom of press, people start ranting about NWO. What’s going to be next, blame these killings on satanic reptilian Jews or claim they were killed because they found the space lazar that destroyed the world trade centre? This is what annoys me about ATS, none of you are interested in conspiracies anymore, your all just interested in the spectacular factious crap that Alex Jones and others pump out of their massive ignorance based internet conspiracy BS machine. It’s so frustrating for those of us who really do search for truth, your more ignorant than the Sheeple.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Yes, but it is happening in many countries. A good website is Reporters without Borders, it details the state of the press in most countries and also names journalists that are incarcerated.
edit on 12-2-2011 by deessell because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by deessell

Yes that is a fantastic website; it’s my last link in the thread I think. Statistically Russia is by far the worst developed sate. Zimbabwe ranks higher than Russia, so does Iraq, chad and any other number of corrupt sates. The point of this thread is to highlight a real conspiracy in the media

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

I really did think this thread would go further.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Not lot of folks interested in Russia's internal affairs. I guess.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by archasama

Yes, people on ATS don’t really care about anything outside of the western world, I have gotten used to this. Its sad because this is a genuine conspiracy, the Russian state assassinating journalists, yet because it is ignored by the majority of ATSters because they do not understand Russia and don’t really give two dams because they are all busy chasing their fictitious NWO

top topics

join