It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: People Who Hate Me Don't Know Me (and I lowered taxes)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Obama says he has a thick skin now and that he lowered taxes for us.
oooooooookay ....

CBS News - Obama: People Who Hate Me Don't Know Me

Asked by Fox News Channel host Bill O'Reilly whether his critics annoyed him, President Obama said: "By the time you get here, you have to have had a pretty thick skin. If you didn't, then you probably wouldn't have gotten here."

I don't know if White House Insider is accurate ... but according to them, the exact opposite is true for Obama. White House Insider - Obama is clueless, totally clueless

The president has no interest in policy. None. No interest in working legislation. None. No interest in forging a specific agenda. None. He is being told what he needs to say and that is it. That is the extent of his interest. “Just make it look good.” Exact words right there. President Obama is obsessed 24/7 with just “looking good”. If something goes well, he gets happy and outgoing. If something makes him look badly, he lashes out and pouts. The man is bouncing off both of those extremes even more now than he used to and it appears to be getting worse and worse. The word “manic” is being used more and more regarding his moods these days

We've all debated The White House insider before. Some say it's accurate and some say it's not. The 'predictions' that come from The WHite House Insider usually pan out pretty good.

Obama also said that he has LOWERED taxes for us ...
Do you all agree or disagree with that statement?

National Review Online - The Obama pledge

I can make a firm pledge,” he said in Dover, N.H., on Sept. 12. “Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes.”

He repeatedly vowed “you will not see any of your taxes increase one single dime.”

CBS News chief White House correspondent Bill Plante said the president seemed to enjoy sparring with O'Reilly, who challenged him to respond to a Wall Street Journal op-ed which called him "a determined man of the left."

"Do you deny the assessment? Do you deny that you are a man who wants to redistribute wealth?" asked O'Reilly.

"Absolutely," he said. "I didn't raise taxes once. I lowered taxes over the last two years."

Has Obama Raised Taxes - That Depends on Whom You Ask

Americans for Tax Reform (ATR) point to the cost of Obama's health care legislation as proof that the president has violated his pledge not to raise taxes on families earning less than $250,000 and on individuals earning less than $200,000.

On top of that, ATR said, Obama's added an extra whammy for smokers by approving the largest tobacco tax increase ever, including a nearly 62-cent increase -- to a $1.01 -- on a pack of cigarettes, as well as other tobacco products.

The White House at the time said the increase didn't violate Obama's pledge because it didn't apply to income, payroll or investment taxes. What's more, his supporters said, the money gained from the tobacco tax is intended to finance a major expansion of health insurance for children.

I don't see how a guy who wants to end the Bush Tax Cuts can say that he LOWERED taxes.

Wall STreet Journal - Obama Budget Proposal Broader Unemployment Taxes
By making companies pay more taxes he squashes the companies and they just turn around and charge more for their products to cover their higher taxes so the consumer ends up paying more. His raising corporate taxes doesn't equate to lower payments from Americans at all. IMHO

ABC News - Obama's Budget 1 trillion $$ in new taxes

1) On people making more than $250,000.

$338 billion - Bush tax cuts expire
$179 billlion - eliminate itemized deduction
$118 billion - capital gains tax hike

Total: $636 billion/10 years

2) Businesses:

$17 billion - Reinstate Superfund taxes
$24 billion - tax carried-interest as income
$5 billion - codify "economic substance doctrine"
$61 billion - repeal LIFO
$210 billion - international enforcement, reform deferral, other tax reform
$4 billion - information reporting for rental payments
$5.3 billion - excise tax on Gulf of Mexico oil and gas
$3.4 billion - repeal expensing of tangible drilling costs
$62 million - repeal deduction for tertiary injectants
$49 million - repeal passive loss exception for working interests in oil and natural gas properties
$13 billion - repeal manufacturing tax deduction for oil and natural gas companies
$1 billion - increase to 7 years geological and geophysical amortization period for independent producers
$882 million - eliminate advanced earned income tax credit

Total: $353 billion/10 years

If a business expense goes up, and that's what raising business taxes is, then the consumer just ends up paying more. He has in effect made the tax payer pay more in taxes, but he's gone through business' to make it happen.

edit on 2/8/2011 by FlyersFan because: fixed link

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
No one wants to know you, you’re not there to be 'known'. Your there to listen to the people, after all they elected you to run their country.

Its not bloody difficult,
Bankers, The Cheney mob, the arms dealers and the petrol companies.

Stop trying to micromanage people when taking control of the inner circle would far outweigh any benefits your futile 'policies' land.

...while you’re at it, why don’t you open another investigation to 911.

I personally believe you'd have the highest approval rating in history if you did, those, things!

edit on 8-2-2011 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I am curious how much your taxes went up, specifically which Obama implemented change caused that increase, and which tax bracket you fall into. The first can be expressed as a percentage of the whole. No need to give away anything to personal in order to answer. I am just genuinely curious how much more people are really paying in taxes compared to how much redstate or whatever is going to tell me people are paying in tax increases.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
When the president talks about lowering taxes he is talking about personal taxes because after all he is supposed to be a servant of the people not a servant for the corporations. And seeing how not everyone smokes the tobacco tax will not affect everyone. Look at daddy Bush he was elected with the promise of no new taxes but he smartened up and realized you cannot run the country if you just keep cutting taxes.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Obama says he has a thick skin now and that he lowered taxes for us.
oooooooookay ....

CBS News - Obama: People Who Hate Me Don't Know Me

Asked by Fox News Channel host Bill O'Reilly whether his critics annoyed him, President Obama said: "By the time you get here, you have to have had a pretty thick skin. If you didn't, then you probably wouldn't have gotten here."

This statement is 100% accurate. Those that "hate" or "love" any public persona DO NOT know them. The image they have of these figures are created by the media, but there is no personal connection to them whatsoever.
In fact, I found that president Obama let O'Reilly off the hook, because it is exactly the type of rhetoric spewed by people like Bill O'Reilly that are the cause of this perceived "hatred".

As for the other topic, you know whether you personally pay more or less taxes than you did previously, so this cannot be debated.

the Billmeister
edit on 8-2-2011 by Billmeister because: missing word "of"

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Yeah.. Those bush cuts were to the wrong people.
If those cuts didn't exist the poor people who actually need every cent they can get could actually get more cuts. The revenue from taxing them would instead fall on the shoulders of people who could afford it easily. and it not effect their lives.

Obama tried to fix this but the republicans wouldn't allow it and Obama had to bail to keep his promise not to raise taxes on the poor. The republicans tried to mess over the lower classes again.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Reply to post by Sinnthia

My taxes went up 75 cents per pack of cancer sticks thanks to Obama

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
First off, Obama lied again. He said he would raise taxes on the wealthy.

Second, he nor the Democratic House/Senate did not institute new tax law, for lower taxes.
They merely allowed the Bush tax cuts to remain.

Smoke and mirrors.
edit on 8-2-2011 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

So the best you got is cigarette tax? Really? So that makes Obama worse, better, or the same as every president before him for the last two decades? Besides

Originally posted by SinnthiaI am curious how much your taxes went up, specifically which Obama implemented change caused that increase, and which tax bracket you fall into.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinnthia

So the best you got is cigarette tax? Really? So that makes Obama worse, better, or the same as every president before him for the last two decades? Besides

Originally posted by SinnthiaI am curious how much your taxes went up, specifically which Obama implemented change caused that increase, and which tax bracket you fall into.

It is still a tax increase.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

Eh he did try to raise taxes for the wealthy but we let the tea party idiots get into office and they stopped any advance.

Had the dems not lost so many seats there is a good chance the taxes would have been raised.
Obama did try.
I'm not a fan of him, but I do give credit where it is due.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by macman

Eh he did try to raise taxes for the wealthy but we let the tea party idiots get into office and they stopped any advance.

Had the dems not lost so many seats there is a good chance the taxes would have been raised.
Obama did try.
I'm not a fan of him, but I do give credit where it is due.

I'm sure this has been brough to your attention before, so forgive if this is redundant.

Rich people (those making 250,000 and up) own businesses. They pay poorer people. If they have more money then they will increase their business. They will want to make even MORE money. In order to do that, they will have to hire MORE people. They will have to PAY more so that they can MAKE more.
But if they are taxed, then they will hide THEIR money and try to save it for them and their families. So no hiring, no paying more.

Just another perspective.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Uh huh.. so you think these people making over 250,000 a year are taking that money and putting it into their business to expand it?

Think about what you are saying.
It's really ridiculous.

Maybe you have them confused with small businesses that use their own money to expand. If that is the case I have news for you.. small business that persist because of their owners money aren't going to have anyone making a quarter mil a year on the payroll.

Think.
It's this uninformed thinking that allows these policies to continue and has the people it hurts voting for them every time they get a chance all the time the rich and the republican politicians are laughing away.
edit on 8-2-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

My point, you missed. (sorry I'm a Yoda-geek)

People who own small businesses hire people who make less than the owners. It is the nature of business. But (specifically) Obama, if you own a small business, and have over 250,000 in capital (meaning supplies, equipment, building space) and as the business owner making only 35,000 a year, he is still considered to have over 250,000 because this is a "capital" expense. Thus putting small business owners "out" of business.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Obama also said that he has LOWERED taxes for us ...
Do you all agree or disagree with that statement?

Yes. Definitely. Without doubt.

I've been keeping track. When the Bush tax 'cuts' went into effect, the total amount of money I paid in taxes went up.

Since Obama's tax plan went into effect, the total amount of money I pay in taxes has gone down.

My income has stayed stable, I am pretty solidly middle class.

Bush's plan: More taxes for me.
Obama's plan: Less taxes for me.

Good enough.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Yah...but you might die sooner than most and thus pay less taxes

I have my own nicotine habit. It is a choice...it's not food. You can save all of that tax expense plus an extra Grand to boot a year if you simply stop. That comming from a fellow nico addict. No whining.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by beezzer

Uh huh.. so you think these people making over 250,000 a year are taking that money and putting it into their business to expand it?

Think about what you are saying.
It's really ridiculous.

Maybe you have them confused with small businesses that use their own money to expand. If that is the case I have news for you.. small business that persist because of their owners money aren't going to have anyone making a quarter mil a year on the payroll.

Think.
It's this uninformed thinking that allows these policies to continue and has the people it hurts voting for them every time they get a chance all the time the rich and the republican politicians are laughing away.
edit on 8-2-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

It doesn't matter what they do with it. Light it on fire. Wipe their butt with it. It is their money. Not yours or the Govt's to take. That is theft. No way around it.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I hated the Bailout Package, and I hate the size and structure of the Healthcare Bill (although I did want some reform).

Other than those two monstrosities, I like Obama.

I watched his whole interview with O'Reilly, and I was extremely impressed with both sides. O'Reilly showed the proper amount of respect and did not try to bully or talk over the President, although he did sneak the last word in almost every subject. Obama was a little evasive and kept sticking to his bread and butter, "Listen Bill, what I will say is...." instead of addressing the questions directly. Still, it was a friendly interchange, and I thought putting the opposing sides on before the superbowl was HUGE and interesting.

Now, I still want to see a change in 2012, but so far there isn't a front-running Republican that I would vote for. The choices are looking pretty sad at this point.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I agree. While I don's trust either, it was for the most part fair, but predictable.

I wish Ron Paul could get an actual shot for the Presidency.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
- Obama raised taxes on cigarettes.
- Obama created the tanning tax.
- Obama passed the first mandatory Federal Tax all Americans must pay even if they don't work...ObamaCare.
- Obama signed the 2010 Tax Relief Act, which reinstated the Federal Estate Tax.
- Obama used the 2014 Food Stamp funds as collateral to borrow Billions to pay Unionized Teachers/Police...a tax on us.
- Obama used the Recovery Act funds for DOD projects, a tax expenditure we all will pay for which subsidized DOD's already silly high almost $1 Trillion budget. Why were REcovery Act funds used for DOD OBama?
- Obama's $1 Billion new Embassy in England...$1 Billion in Afghanistan Embassy...$1 Billion new Embassy in Iraq....which is a tax on us.
- Obama's Nationalizing GM was a tax on us....by bailing out his Union cronies.
- Obama Federalized all College Loans.
- Obama Nationalized Healthcare with a new mandatory Federal Tax.
- Obama's a aunt illegally in the country wasn't deported...putting a tax on us all to keep giving her free handouts.
- Obama's given trillions to bail out foreign banks/investors....which is a tax on us to pay for it.
- The price of Gold keeps going up. Which means we are being taxed by our dollar holdings losing value by the day.
- Obama had the FDIC force banks to pay 3 years worth of FDIC insurance up front now....forcing us to pay higher bank fees so banks could afford their Federal mandate...which is a tax.
- Obama's ending the Natural Gas/crude oil Federal subsidies in his 2012 Budget being released in a few days. Which is a tax since we will have to pay $10 for a gallon of gasoline soon.
- Obama's had the Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac held homes be put on hold and not sold right now. Because he is trying to prop up artificially high home values and not flood the market with homes for sale....which is a Federal Tax by keeping home prices inflated.
- Obama's ordered Veterans Affairs to use their money for Research instead of treating the nations disabled veterans...which is a tax depriving veterans of medical care as he tries to keep up with China's R&D
- Obama's got Veterans Affairs injecting Toxins into Americans to see if any Toxins can ever be useful for medical treatment....which a Federal Tax using veterans as guinea pigs and Obama says their consent isn't required.
- Obama's declared Americans can be killed without a trial...which is a tax taking someone's life without due process.
- When the tiny country of Palau told Obama's State Department they want $200 million or "they'll find a new friend"...Obama gave them $250 million to keep them from siding with China....which is a tax on us.
- Obama's spending Billions making the Mariana Islands a super military base...which is a tax on us as they plan on prying Taiwan from China.
- Obama signed the Hague Convention on the Protection of Cultural/Historical sites during Armed Conflict, which is a tax on Americans making them pay for any damage to historical sites when we go to war with someone

top topics

<<   2 >>

join