It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concerns Grow Over Egypt's WMD Research

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Concerns Grow Over Egypt's WMD Research

www.nbcwashington.com

With Egypt in revolt and the country’s future uncertain, concern is growing over whether a new government in the Arab world’s most militarily and industrially advanced country could accelerate an arms race in one of the world’s most volatile regions.
At the heart of the concern is intelligence indicating that Egypt has quietly carried out research and development on weapons of mass destruction, including nuclear, chemical, biological and missile technology.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Geee , it hasn't taken long to hear the speculative Drums of war being trumped up has it ? I guess some one high up wanted to hedge there bets incase the government change in Egypt goes the wrong way ?

Funny how in all this time , up until the uprising , we have herd nothing mentioned in the MSM about the brutality and oppression taking place in Egypt . I guess as long as " our guy " is the one doing the a$$ kicking we are ok with it .

Be interesting to see how this " report " evolves over the coming months . In the mean time we can get ready for some " let's fear Egypt " hype .

www.nbcwashington.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 7-2-2011 by Max_TO because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Oh no ,not the wmd game again.Maybe they are hidden underneath the Pyramids or up the sphinxs rectum.
Seriously they are going to have to add some more lead to the water before anyone will fall for that again FFS

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Agreed .
And just to put it out there , Israel would be the last place Egypt would ever use a WOMD . For if they did they would essentially be dropping it on them selves .

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
haha here we go again

in the words of bush "fool me once shame on you.... you fool me can't get fooled again"

edit on 7-2-2011 by Cib2010 because: I have my reasons

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Duhhh of course we are worried about Egypts wmd's now!
What if a regime who is NOT under US control comes into power? we need a valid springboard to bomb them into the stoneage.
It is ok, if there is a new Gubbment installed that is US compliant, they will have no wmd's after all. oops bad intel, nothing to see move along.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
Funny how in all this time , up until the uprising , we have herd nothing mentioned in the MSM about the brutality and oppression taking place in Egypt . I guess as long as " our guy " is the one doing the a$$ kicking we are ok with it .

There was plenty there if you wanted to see it. - just a little selection from the NYT about arrests of Moslem Brotehrhood leaders, members, etc, over the years.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
From the source article...

A lesson from assistance to Iraq
Before the mid-1980s, Iraq was limited to mustard gas and other disfiguring agents. But not long after the Egyptian scientists arrived, Iraqi sarin production soared — from 5 tons in 1984 to 209 tons in 1987 and 394 tons in 1988, the report says. During that period, sarin was used extensively by Iraq to kill Kurdish dissidents in the north as well as Iranian soldiers in the south.

same playbook?

who is the author of this piece? ROBERT WINDREM

Time to dig into his past works?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
And El Baradei- former head of the International Atomic Energy Agency- fits into this scenario how?

Whistleblower or architect?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Those articles seem to address actions taken agienst various political parties and not addressing the apparent oppression of the general population . No where did I see in that link any word mentioned of a brutal police force oppressing and knocking heads of the " commen man " or the apparent unhappiness of the general population at there lack of economical gains .

It's easy to spin a story so that it looks like " our guy " is doing all he can to stop fanatical political parties but I still stand by my original comment , that we have not been kept informed as to the Egyptian peoples opersion at the hands of there government , that we have backed for quite some time now .

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Probably because there is no massive oppression of the "general population" - as far as I can tell they are reasonably prosperous, just pissed off that things are not better, and that they have no real say in Govt.

the Moslem Brotherhood is virtually the only political opposition, and, as you say, it is easy to dismiss it as a "terrorist organisation" without realising that it is not that to Egyptians. The articles discuss the repression of political parties, and "independant" candidates "representing" the MB mostly without playing the "terrorist card" which shows that that theterrorist tag is not universally applied to it even in the MSM.

A quick Google for "Egypts facebook revolution" shows that there has certainly been other signs of some discontent among the young - if you use Googles date range function you can limit a search to pages that existed before hte current troubles - that cuts out a lot of recent stuff that isn't relevant.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Who WASN'T helping Iraq in the 1980s? "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

Since the US gives military aide (i.e. taxdollars which then go to American defense contractors), who will head the Egyptian govt is of concern. "We know what you've done in the past. We'll be willing to overlook all these past weapons transgressions and keep the money flowing, if you can continue peace with Israeli, keep the canal open, and offer some tangible hope to your people. Egypt must remain a stable nation, and we will continue to reward you, but you must do more to keep your people happy. BTW we'ld be happy to keep the renditions program."

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
Probably because there is no massive oppression of the "general population" - as far as I can tell they are reasonably prosperous, just pissed off that things are not better, and that they have no real say in Govt.

You've got no idea at all have you?

Have a watch of this for a bit of insight and make it the start of your journey to see how different Egyptians live and the conditions they live in
stagevu.com...

The average Egyptian gets nothing! Egypt as a country brings in a lot of wealth that is shared between a small elite percentage of the population, the rest are living in poverty and repression and restriction under draconian illegal emergency laws where beatings and torture by the police is commonplace.

Just look how twisted and how much disregard for human life the government has. There we're no pro mubarak demonstrations going on when the peaceful demonstrations started, just violence from the police, and then when they pulled the police out all they did was send them back after a briefing in plain clothes (as has been shown as a lot of them even still had their police ID after being captured and let go by the anti gov demonstrators, and there is the main weight of the pro mubarak supporters, picture a lot of them in state police uniforms petrol bombing citizens and driving vehicles into and through them (if you don't know about any of that switch cnn to al jazeera) and then you get the jist of it. All while the army standby and do nothing but wait for the orders from mubarak of what to do. Egypt is a police state, and unless you've been there (and I don't mean a weekend in a red sea resort) it's hard to understand it, kind of like an open prison.

Back on topic I saw the original report for this first and came on ATS to post it when as usual I noticed it was already here, what was very nice to read was other peoples comments who also see how The US are keeping a distance and letting a dictator and torture supporter carry on with his surpresion, but see how this WMD has been put there just in case they don't like any new guys that might just topple the regime, it's long overdue thats for sure. WMD in Egypt? Don't make me laugh

new topics

top topics

join