It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Has Secret Tools to Force Internet on Dictators

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

U.S. Has Secret Tools to Force Internet on Dictators

www.wired.com

The U.S. military has no shortage of devices — many of them classified — that could restore connectivity to a restive populace cut off from the outside world by its rulers. It’s an attractive option for policymakers who want an option for future Egypts, between doing nothing and sending in the Marines. And it might give teeth to the Obama administration’s demand that foreign governments consider internet access an inviolable human right.

Arquilla, a professor at the Naval Postgraduate School, spent years urging the military to logic-bomb adversary websites, disrupt hostile online pr
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Another fascinating story and insight into the ever-ongoing global cyber-warfare paradigm, which seems to be escalating in quite recent times and events.

I guess it would go without saying that if tptb have the ability to shut down the net with "kill-switches", they also have counter and alternative measures to restore accessability and signals to those who are helping further their objectives.

Pretty wild to see the differing methods through which this can be instituted though, things such as floating cell towers and drones pumping out location specific signals. I wonder if this is solely relegated to military tech, or if others are running similar tech (i.e. comp firms, hackers, etc.)?

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Um, yes, okay...so should i reply with amazement or simply with a common response as, down with nwo and everything else under the sun.

People, use your brain don't abuse it.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Two faced. That's what this is.

Don't get me wrong, i support internet as a right. I agree...information transfer is a right. We can talk, sing, internet, etc.

But Obama, in the same 12 month period, gets an "Internet kill switch" for US national security as well as lecturing Egypt on not killing the Egyptian internet

I call bullsh# on this one.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Nothing and no matter what encryption or cpathca you use or methods applied throughout home grown application or modified will exempt you from final disclosure of your files. Anything, anything, on the grid is accessible, if you think otherwise, you are still living in the dark ages.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Hypocrisy of the highest order, what gives them the right to have the ultimate decision on who has internet and who doesn't, when it is them who proclaim it as a fundamental human right, that should be freely available and without restriction!

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by MoneyRain
Hypocrisy of the highest order, what gives them the right to have the ultimate decision on who has internet and who doesn't, when it is them who proclaim it as a fundamental human right, that should be freely available and without restriction!

Perhaps you and everyone should contact show mods and request a particular show regarding your topic.

top topics

join