It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Is Causing This Rumbling ????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I am wondering if anyone else in the north Georgia area, or even northwest Alabama, was feeling rumbling or tremors this Sunday, several times-at least 6- the glasses in our hutch were clinging and making bell like sounds from vibration today, and at 1:33pm in the afternoon it was vibrating enough to cause the toilet seat to make sounds from it vibrating! The only other time I have heard this or witnessed this type of thing was during a small quake we had back in 2002 in this area. But I have checked all the sites and there is no report of even a 1 magnitude in this area, so what else could it be? I am at work now, which is approx 3 miles from my house, and about 10 minutes ago there was a slight rumbling here, I noticed the light bulbs were shaking, only for a few seconds and it stopped. Checked again, no siesmic action going on. Could it be that it is not measurable but still being witnessed? Anyone else experienced this today or yesterday?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
www.scsn.org...

The following quote is taken from the above link
How big does it need to be for a person to feel it?

What an earthquake feels like depends on many factors: the magnitude, your distance from the hypocenter (considering the depth of the quake), the type of soil or rock you are on, the building you are in or if you are outdoors & what you are doing at the time. Under ideal conditions, you are lying or sitting still in an upper floor, right on top of a shallow earthquake, you might feel a 1.8 if you were paying attention. Usually, however, it takes at least a magnitude of 2.0 for multiple people to notice a quake & recognize it as a quake. A 4.0 usually gets a lot of public attention if it happens under a populated area.

So, IMO, I do not think it was an earthquake cause it looks like we really wouldn't even be able to detect anything under a 1.8 magnitude. Maybe you forgot to turn off a certain device in your bedside table

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SpreadLoveNotHate

Checked the bedside devices, all good there

I have to wonder if the chemical company nearby was doing something, I know when they burn whatever it is that they incinerate, the fire shoots way up into the air, maybe it causes rumbling or vibration too, I dunno.

It couldn't be trains, none closeby enough, Semi trucks don't come down our main road in that area, the overpass is too short for them to get under.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I suggest you get on the thread by Westcoast: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Westcoast is keeping track of the rumblings thoughout USA and there is alot of discussion on the thread about what could be possible causes.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

Thanks for the tip and link, I will check it out!

Rumbling on the west coast is most likely pretty common, I watch the quake sites (usgs, IRIS, ect.) daily, I find it fascinating, however this area is not prone to activity, and since the rumbling was soooo like what happened when we actually had a quake, it left me feeling like we had one again, but 'no' says the USGS!

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
This is on ugs now....anywhere near you?

Magnitude 2.5
Date-Time

* Monday, February 07, 2011 at 04:10:52 UTC
* Sunday, February 06, 2011 at 10:10:52 PM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 36.719°N, 89.518°W
Depth 5.6 km (3.5 miles)
Region SOUTHEASTERN MISSOURI
Distances

* 7 km (5 miles) SE (125°) from Matthews, MO
* 14 km (8 miles) WSW (240°) from East Prairie, MO
* 15 km (9 miles) N (6°) from New Madrid, MO
* 183 km (114 miles) NNE (13°) from Memphis, TN
* 222 km (138 miles) SSE (163°) from St. Louis, MO

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 0.3 km (0.2 miles); depth +/- 0.9 km (0.6 miles)
Parameters NST= 30, Nph= 42, Dmin=4 km, Rmss=0.07 sec, Gp= 76°,
M-type=duration magnitude (Md), Version=A
Source

* Cooperative New Madrid Seismic Network

Event ID nm020711a

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Here is a map of the seismic station in the area. Click on them to see details. There is some faulting in the area, but I don't know if there is any gas/oil extraction or fracking going on. The other quake threads suggest fracking is the cause of alot of tremors.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by zenius

Thanks, great link! Still getting occasional trembling, I noticed this last one, the nieghbors plate glass window was shaking, weird

Nothing on the maps yet

top topics

join