It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why must I log-in again to ATS after every screen close?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I am so technically challenged...how I manage at all is a miracle.

My youtube and Facebook pages remember me.
But, when I sign into ATS no box appears to check which says "keep me logged in."

Could this be a security settings issue?
I have Norton enabled and a Spybot program.

Windows 7 and a new a notebook.
I must of changed my settings accidentally because ATS used to keep me logged in and I never had to remember username and password.

It is troublesome since I also have to chase the LOG IN tab which plays an annoying game of hide and seek on me.LOG IN, NEW TOPICS and the rest of tabs quickly moving away and jamming themselves up along the left side of the screen...I chase NEW TOPICS then it moves back in line, where it is supposed to be.
Anyone else get this? Thanks in advance.

PS AND my spell check never seems to STAY ON, even when I turn it on in the homepage. ...another BIG problem as I am a terrible speller.
Please....can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Thank you.
edit on 7-2-2011 by rusethorcain because: obsessive compulsion

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

What Browser do you use? I been using Google Chrome and haven't had any problems.

Maybe you have an IE security setting that is not saving the login.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Nick_X

Hi. Thanks Nick...it is Explorer. I think it came programmed into the computer. I know I should be using firefox but I don't like it. Have had some problems with it being too secure in the past.

I searched ie security settings in my help page. It is possible I have disabled cookies and this is the price I have to pay...? Remembering passwords and cookies are in the same catagory.
edit on 7-2-2011 by rusethorcain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Then IE is your problem. Chrome has grown into a big boy now, even better than Mozzila in my opinion. Lots of neat addons and helpful tools, while being as customizable as existence itself.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Yeah, I would switch to Chrome if I were you....I only use IE for when I need to use the Microsoft Website.

Nearly every other website in the world works fine and faster on Chrome.

Regarding the Cookies....yeah, without remembering cookies your browser won't know that you are logged into ATS, that could definitely be the problem although I have not tested it.

Possible Workarounds : Bookmark the Login Page so it's easy to find if you want to keep the cookie setting the way it is.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Almost every PC problem you will encounter is directly related to some change you just made to the PC. We cause hiccups ourselves, there are no Gremlins.

I have to agree with other posters mentioning the importance of a good browser. Don't try to remove IE from your PC (or from any other Microsoft Windows PC, as IE is inherent in the OS) but do download and try Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. A big part of online/PC fun is finding things out for yourself.

After you are happy with your new browser, take note of the problems you are having with your PC. If you cannot resolve these problems using the built-in helper how-to in your PC, go and visit some of the many PC Geek Forum Sites that are available online. Peruse about the Archived posts and you will find others have had the same problem(s) you are having. There will be replies posted that show you how to solve your PC headaches.

I am not very bright but I've kept all (our) PC's in good health come what may for many years now. Perseverance is what has got me through every glitch and odd-ball happening that has come my way.

Some of the sites that have proved very valuable to me for PC help: geekstogo.com, newegg.com (a retail geek site) has an excellent list of geek help sites; windowssecrets.com, cybertechhelp.com, techsupportguy at helponthe.net, and another site I've used is techsupportalert.com .

Over the years I have tried all the most popular anti-viral software programs. Norton sucks up way too much memory and leaves way too much behind after 'removal'. I have to recommend Kaspersky Internet Security even though it is expensive. Just look around for a sale. Kaspersky, IMHO, is the best protection money can buy, and it is really easy to use.

I have to recommend you download Ccleaner from a trusted online site and use it weekly. Keeps the flotsam & jetsam from building up, cleans the bats out of the bell-tower, so as to speak.

Last item: Never, ever use the Auto-Fill feature. It is too easy for hackers to get whatever data is on your PC as it is. Instead, keep your Web Sites on 3 X 5 cards listing site name, your password and your Log-in name, as well as any security answers a site may have had you enter when you signed up.

Keep your 3 X 5 cards in a safe place near the PC but not out in the open. If someone breaks in & steals your PC they will just get the PC, not all your personal info. Thieves go for the obvious money items, they are not going to poke around stuff that looks like a collection of kitchen recipes.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by LargeFries
show you how to solve your PC headaches.

Some of the sites that have proved very valuable to me for PC help: geekstogo.com, newegg.com (a retail geek site) has an excellent list of geek help sites; windowssecrets.com, cybertechhelp.com, techsupportguy at helponthe.net, and another site I've used is techsupportalert.com .

Over the years I have tried all the most popular anti-viral software programs. Norton sucks up way too much

Awesome! Great advice here, in depth and useful info - my free Norton is running out in a couple weeks... so thank you. I am making sort of a checklist of all you suggest so that I can see they are taken care of.

My notebook also has chrome installed. I made it my default browser and it did take care of the spellcheck and log in problems instantly fixed. HOwever, I was soon afterward kicked offline and could not get online again. I will try again after this session which I opened in IE and I will try out one of those sites above.

A friend recommends AVG after my free Norton expires. I will check out Kaspersky and compare them.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by gandhi

Then IE is your problem. Chrome has grown into a big boy now, even better than Mozzila in my opinion. Lots of neat addons and helpful tools, while being as customizable as existence itself.

You are right. When I use the Chrome browser I have spell check and don't have to keep logging in.
Thanks...arlo

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

edit on 7-2-2011 by LadySkadi because:

new topics

top topics

join