It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British govt. computers under cyber attacks from hostile states

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

www.sify.com...[/url]

British Foreign Secretary William Hague has said that cyberspace is allowing criminals and hostile intelligence agencies to attack the British government.

During a conference in Munich, Hague not only talked about how government computers were infected by a virus last year, but also detailed an attempt to steal data from a UK defence contractor. He stressed that someone in disguise of an employee of another defence firm had designed to steal information, the BBC reports.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 5/2/11 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Cyber Attacks are becoming increasingly higher it would seem, Unfortunately cyberspace creates one of the Main weakneses Britian and america Face as a country right now And in the future.

Personally i dont feel comfortable that a system that contains my and others personal data is at risk of been attacked in whatever way, Computers can easilly be used to mabe manipulate people and our very technology will eventually be our downfall.

edit on 5/2/11 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

i suspect the timing of this is relevant to the consensus developing amongst eu 'partners'. these cyber attacks have been occuring for decades now. it is interesting how in the late ninties i brought up conversation with a number of governmental departments with regards to card cloning,skimming,phishing et al. my concerns were ignored and so it seemed that the banks were following behind in denial as well. to be brought up now with 'other' agendas only affirms to me the government will impose draconian measures against all of us for the sake of a decimal percentage of culprits.
cyber-curses anyone? 3 for 1 deal at the moment just send your account details to me via any government website!
regards f

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
i will bet one thousand of my shiny pound sterling there is no such attack from one single dedicated enemy, rather they are sporadic attacks more than likely from eastern european/asian cartels, targeting individuals and corporations as apposed to our actual government itself. Hague is talking pish so the conservatives can steal moar of our internets.....but for our protection of course.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

Christ. I wonder if the Brits have heard about keeping your information on remote servers. Its more then feasible for any information to be kept perfectly safe.

cyberspace is allowing criminals and hostile intelligence agencies to attack the British government.

Directly blaming Cyberspace. Not good. But, i've never heard of zify.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
This may or may not be a true reflection of the situation though.....
The desire of Goverments everywhere to control and monitor the internet, is not new.
The inroads on the sivriegnty and neutrality of the internet by goverments are constantly being made.
(though it is my contention that the entire contents of internet traffic is constantly monitored and analyzed by some secret gov agency in every nation already)
Though there are claims that there is a CYBER WAR raging across the iternet already.
Suxnet, a worm with unheard of acpabilities and evolvable programming, has been invading the Natanz , and Busheshir nuke facilities of Iran for months now.
Isreal, with US help, is rumoured to be the creators of this weapon.Certain control systems for industrial processes,(In this case by Siemens) were targeted with a worm which was specifically designed to not only wreck delicate centifuges by fluctuating their RPMS.They were also programmed to be able to hide, and replicate themselves in any other conected system,as well as be able to eveolve into altered versions of themselves as counter measures were taken.
The complications programmed into the little devil will make it very hard to eradicate from Irans nuclear industrial computer processes.
This was undertaken ostensibly, to slow the production of fissile materials which it is claimed the iranians are stockpiling towards a bomb.
I am sure you all know the details, but it is to be wondered, why havent the Iranians counter struck?
Or Have they?........???

The red Chinese, have been accused of blatant theft of intellectual property from world wide sources for decades.
If one looks at their "new" J 20 fighter/stealth aircraft, one gets the eerie senstion, that like the perloined top gun footage, they rolled out to demonstrate the plane
The F22 Raptor got similar treatment somewhere down the line.
I have always felt that it is the Chinese comunist philosophy that anything they can use to their advantage which would normally be protected by patents, they have been willing to steal and apply without even a thank you...much less royalties .
The Cyber power that china has developed to accomplish this i believe to be unmatched by the west.
The blatant thefts have been ongoing and massive.
Maybe they figured out a way to download the USA and are picking it over for anything they can use.....
Or more likely they have concentrated large goverment resources to the effort.

We live, and die by the internet, and the other electronic communications nets that veirtually control our water, electricity, TV, radio, and much much more.
Think of all the control systems that are vulnerable, and asl yourself why they have been overlooked by these terrorists when they are simply ripe for the disrupting?

I started out to merely say the goverment will manufacture reasons to control the intenet far more strictly, and this may be the start if that.

But ssonehow ive gotten to the point where im wondering if there are any real terrorists at all?
Surely if created by the PTB, the terroristas would stay away from causeing any real major disruptions to cash cows of the PTB.
That is aparently what is happening isnt it?
The attacks so far, most all have been high profile, but little damage really to infrastructure or services they charge for.
(I in no way disrespect the losses and pain inflicted by these acts)But the real damage to america or any western country for that matter, has been minimal.
maybe worth a grey area thread...hmmmmmm

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SPACEYstranger

Lol what. Im not sure if a "remote server" is what you think it is.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson

British Foreign Secretary William Hague has said that cyberspace is allowing criminals and hostile intelligence agencies to attack the British government.

Haha yeah it's cyberspaces fault.
Just like it's a battlefields fault when a war is waged on it.
edit on 5-2-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join