It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glass Will Melt Near Absolute Zero! Using Quantum Mechanics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Prof. Eran Rabani of Tel Aviv University's School of Chemistry and his colleagues at Columbia University have discovered a new quantum mechanical effect with glass-forming liquids. They've determined that it's possible to melt glass -- not by heating it, but by cooling it to a temperature near absolute zero.

Source

This is pretty cool,I would of never thought this actually possible? wonder what this tells us about further applications involving absolute zero?

Quantum mechanics, developed in the 1920s, has had an enormous impact in explaining how matter works. The elementary particles that make up different forms of matter -- such as electrons, protons, neutrons and photons -- are well understood within the model quantum physics provides. Even now, some 90 years later, new scientific principles in quantum physics are being described. The most recent gives the world a glimpse into the seemingly impossible.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I would LOVE to see a video of this happening. Its sounds so damn interesting. Awesome find, thanks for sharing.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I'm going to have my nuts frozen in a chiller when I die.

edit on 4-2-2011 by Beavis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Fluids do exhibit some strange properties at absolute zero, they are not bound by gravity as much and the surface tension fully coats the container holding the very cold liquid.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by PerfectPerception

what is used to get something close to absolute zero like is it a chemical or an element or something?, can absolute zero be reached?

top topics

join