It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Susan G. Komens' Real Agenda

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I know everyone here can see a pink ribbon and know exactly what it stands for. You see the ribbons on cars, shirts, pins, hats, on the front of the White House itself...etc. Even The NFL has a month of wearing pink in the hopes to raise awareness for cancer. It is one of the most honorable ideas for a charity and one that is so well know, and such a money making organization, it has patented over two hundred trademarks.

I'm posting a link from the Huffington Post which will open some peoples eyes. It did mine. We have become a society so desensitized that you don't even think about who your donating to, just what your donating to and hopefully who it affects. But be wary, according to this source, the Susan G. Komen Foundation actually uses up to one million dollars a year in DONATED FUNDS to attack and destroy smaller locally operated charities for infringements on her trademarks. Using the word cure, or the color pink in conjunction with a charity will just get you sidelined and have you spending more money on legal fees and court time than actually doing something meaningful for those that need.

I'm not posting this to say that this foundation doesn't do any good, because it does do great things, but it is so sad to know that greed effects the most innocent of things as to one of the most well known cancer charities out there.

Again, just my opinion. I just felt the need to post this to my friends to pass on the information. Maybe instead of donating to the steamrolling corporate conglomerate, try a local smaller organization that is actually concerned with those of us in need versus some stealing your ability to earn large profits of the sick.

Here's the link: www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by crkking

There is some kind of website or report that tells you what percentage of donations to popular charities actually go to the intended cause

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I know its like every other business out there, and I don't have a problem with them making money, it's just sad that greed is so ingrained, that they will spend more money to keep you from using their trademark logos like a ribbon or using the words "for a cure" to generate donations for your charities.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I thought Penn and Teller already did an episode of BS on this topic. Maybe I was mistaken, but, they said little money actually goes into developing a cure, the majority goes to the usual corporate crap that you would expect from a fortune 10 company.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by RicketyCricket

im sure they did. it just isn't something you'll see on the evening news and wanted to put it back out there to open all of our eyes to the corporate money machine we have all fed at some point.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
There is a lot of weirdness to these 'raise awareness' campaigns. For example, Yoplait yogurt has pink tops to some fo their yougurt. You're supposed to peel off the tops, wash and dry them, then stick them in an envelope and mail them back to Yoplait. For each one they receive they will make a small donation to charity. Besides the total waste of energy here, what do they think they are doing? Either you make the donation yourself or they make the donation themselves. Messing with people's heads like this does no good at all.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
and of course we have better ones too!

The fraud perpetrated by the Holocaust Survivor’s Fund is different from most shiesty charity scams we hear about. In this case, it wasn’t the charity who scammed the people, but the people who scammed the charity. The fund was established to help provide financial aid to disabled or impoverished survivors of the Holocaust, but was defrauded from the inside by a group of managers who accepted forged applications from completely unqualified individuals.

The Huffington Post reports that “Six corrupt employees approved more than 5,500 fraudulent applications for aid, leading to millions of dollars being paid to people who did not qualify for help.” In total, the charity was taken for $42 million in misappropriated money that should have gone to the families of struggling victims.

www.sitejabber.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by crkking
I'm not posting this to say that this foundation doesn't do any good, because it does do great things...

Like what?

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by starviego

Well i should have re worded that. I hope that there is some that receive some relief from this monstrosity of a charity. Like I said in the original post, this is one of the most well recognized charities in the U.S. You can probably see at least one pink ribbon a day if you look hard enough. I see bumper stickers and car magnets all over the place. I just hope that all the revenue that these patented trademarks bring in, there is at least a few people in need receiving something from it.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
When you think about it, how many of these disease-based charitable foundations ever accomplish their goal of eradicating the disease? The march of dimes, the AIDS walkers, Jerry's kids, etc.--they just crank out the sympathy tears, year after year, collecting all those dollars but never reaching the finish line.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Unfortunately the empire did the same to Susan that it did to Jesus. It saw an opportunity to make money and keep people enslaved.

C'Mon. KFC sells a pink bucket. The hormones in chicken are probably the single leading cause.

It is like ethanol. It takes more energy to produce it that you get for it. Oil takes 7 barrels to find one.

The world has lost its mind. I bet I could get rich making a campaign to find it.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
THink of this BMW alone give them a Million a year. I agree with what they do. You wouldn't want someone to think that they are giving money to Susan G Komen and really not. I really think they are just protection there Image and Name IMO.

new topics

top topics

join