It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freedom and Government Don't Mix

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
You are ultimately responsible for your own behavior. "Governing" and "government" are just big words for "control" and "rulers." They set punishments on certain actions in an effort to prevent you from doing them, whether they be malicious or harmless.

Lots of people look for the "perfect" form of government where everyone is happy and free, but in reality true freedom and government cannot coincide. To have government is to have limitations on freedoms, or else there is really no government.

The only way to be truly free and still cooperate in a large-scale civilization, is to forget all rules and interact on an individual basis of respect. Which is to say, the only rules are the ones we as individuals will respect and enforce personally when we interact with others. When you meet someone else, you take your "government" with you, and it collides with theirs.

Would you be afraid to live in a society like this?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11
You are ultimately responsible for your own behavior. "Governing" and "government" are just big words for "control" and "rulers." They set punishments on certain actions in an effort to prevent you from doing them, whether they be malicious or harmless.

Lots of people look for the "perfect" form of government where everyone is happy and free, but in reality true freedom and government cannot coincide. To have government is to have limitations on freedoms, or else there is really no government.

The only way to be truly free and still cooperate in a large-scale civilization, is to forget all rules and interact on an individual basis of respect. Which is to say, the only rules are the ones we as individuals will respect and enforce personally when we interact with others. When you meet someone else, you take your "government" with you, and it collides with theirs.

Would you be afraid to live in a society like this?

perfection! I would love to live in a civilized civilization. That's why when i grow up -
, i want to live on an indian reserve or sustainable commune. it sounds so attractive to my soul self. hopefully the whole world can live that way soon, in harmony with nature (including fellow man).

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
not at all! in school they would learn about being born ignorant and how ignorances have been influncing our societies.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
You know, I have to disagree.

Government does not necesarilly mean control or regulation. That is simply the definition that we have imposed on ourselves in an attempt to keep the status quo.

There is nothing wrong with either BIG government or SMALL government when it is run collectively and PROPERLY by people of intelligence and high moral standing.

Now this is almost impossible so you have to have a very vigiliant, informed and educated populace waiting at all times to throw the crooks out and elect new non crooks.

This is the problem we as society have. We are lazy and complacent. Patience is a virtue but there comes a time when such things are useless and actual change, which means actual ACTION is required.

Large scale cooperation among the population IS government, simply a different form. And there's always going to be people who want to lead and those who want to be led.

~KEeper
edit on 2/3/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
There is nothing wrong with either BIG government or SMALL government when it is run collectively and PROPERLY by people of intelligence and high moral standing.

Now this is almost impossible so you have to have a very vigiliant, informed and educated populace waiting at all times to throw the crooks out and elect new non crooks.

I just want to know who gets to define these words:

"properly"

"people of intelligence"

"high moral standing"

If we truly all got equal say, then I don't see how you would be able to distinguish from what I proposed in the OP. Otherwise someone is making concessions for convenience and submitting personal authority to an external authority, which I can't reconcile with absolute freedom.

top topics

join