It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sweden drops Assange rape charge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

english.aljazeera.net

Swedish prosecutors have cancelled an arrest warrant issued for Julian Assange, the founder of controversial whistleblower website Wikileaks.

The warrant was issued following a sexual assault complaint against him.

But on Saturday, as international media outlets were beginning to pick up the story, Eva Finne, Sweden's chief prosecutor, announced that Assange was no longer wanted.

"I don't think there is reason to suspect that he has committed rape," the chief prosecutor said, but declined to go into any more details.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Didn't see this posted anywhere, so... looks like the house of cards has fallen apart. What a surprise that such bogus charges would not stick, but I'm sure that for most people, the PR damage is done.

So did Assange produce a viable threat to distribute much more heavy hitting documents if he was sentenced and extradited to the US? Is this the result of international outcries for his release? And will Wikileaks continue their informational awareness operation?

english.aljazeera.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Of course this was dropped...is there any word on how this effects his British Court Issues?

I have been out of the loop for awhile...

And oh...YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!

Truth seems to be winning here...it's a small victory but a needed one...

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

That report is from August last year..
They then changed their minds and Assange is STILL wanted and currently on bail under house arrest..

From your link..

Accusations against founder of whistleblower website Wikileaks "unfounded".
Last Modified: 21 Aug 2010 16:36 GMT

Please, please check dates before posting in future....

edit on 3-2-2011 by backinblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
edit on 3-2-2011 by zuul000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

The charges were spacious at best, mostly a woman scorned thing once they found out he was sleeping with both of them. These "rape" charges were not what most western societies would even entertain and derived from occasions where the women proceeding woke up and made him breakfast,or threw him a party the next night. I'll admit, lying about a condom or continuing with a broken one is more than bad judgement and immoral. However, it goes both ways and no form of birth control or "protection" is 100%, there are risks entered into by each party.

MSM propaganda smear campaign... these charges were already dropped by the first prosecutor who had jurisdiction.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

They then changed their minds and Assange is STILL wanted and currently on bail under house arrest..

From your link..

Accusations against founder of whistleblower website Wikileaks "unfounded".
Last Modified: 21 Aug 2010 16:36 GMT

Please, please check dates before posting in future....

edit on 3-2-2011 by backinblack because: (no reason given)

F*CK, you're right. This is why I don't post news on here. I got the story from somebody reliable who put it up somewhere else; guess I should've checked the date...

EDIT:

But even so, I thought it was Sweden that is still trying to charge him, or maybe I'm just out of touch with this whole story since there's been little info on it recently...
edit on 3-2-2011 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

It doesn't surprise me in the least.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
story is from 21 Aug 2010 16:36 GMT

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Ooooops!
It's all good. It happens to the best of us.
edit on 2/3/2011 by FoJAk because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/3/2011 by FoJAk because: My spelling is just atroshous sometimes

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
So now Julian knows about government spy agencies using "honey pots." He best keep it in his pants now.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

But even so, I thought it was Sweden that is still trying to charge him, or maybe I'm just out of touch with this whole story since there's been little info on it recently...

He is still wanted in Sweden for questioning..
He is on bail under house arrest pending extradition proceedings..

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Whilst this whole thing has been damaging to his reputation, it's actually a good thing at the end of the day. The next time they try to accuse him of some bogus accusations like this everyone will immediately believe those claims to be another lie.

EDIT:
reply to post by backinblack

Oh, well that sucks...
edit on 3-2-2011 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Well...When I got up this morning and checked BBC news feed There was a headline from today saying Sweden had dropped the charges and that was reported this am. searching the BBC site now reveals nothing of the sort? Then again, the BBC did once report a fallen building when it still stood so maybe Sweden will drop the charges later today. Maybe they're trying to trick Assange out of the embassy?
edit on 6-9-2012 by minkmouse because: (no reason given)

top topics

join