It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Removed from Hoax Bin?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Just a quick thought here. We all know of threads that are moved to the hoax bin. They show up probabkly daily and are either put into the hoax bin or deleted entirely. With the ongoing Jerusalem UFO threads, that are debunked, and then the debunking of the debunk....you get the idea.

Has anything ever been labelled a hoax by the mods here at ATS, only for more evidence to show up and then un-hoaxed and put back into the mainstream of threads? Or does the hoax label mean it is banished forever?

(ps not sure if the Jerusalem ufo has been hoaxed, just an example)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

I seem to remember a thread that had an absurd number of reply s (as it was a smushed bug on a windscreen) being briefly brought out of the hoax bin just to be returned there the next day or so)
edit on 2-2-2011 by bluemooone2 because: spl

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
1 more question has occured to me since i've been thinking about this.

Will a mod put a note on the post when it is moved to/from the hoax bin with a reason?
If so i can answer my own question by looking at the hoax threads more.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I had a thought today as I viewed the thread about the video of the "Birds dropping out of the sky in the Netherlands" that even though the person claims to have created the stunt that both the single article, and the Mod who closed the thread, seem to believe the birds were fake. One member even suggested that someone was using Budgies to pull this off.

It did not sit with me and more questions could have been addressed but the Mod closed the thread completely so no more inquiries could be made.

1. Those were not dead budgies, I know budgies dead or alive, this in itself warrants scrutiny.
2. Those were not fake birds, the feathering was too bird-like to not be real "dead" birds.
3. The fact that the birds were dead prior to dropping or being flung off a roof denotes a sinister aspect to this story and claiming that it was done to see how viral a video can travel is not enough to dismiss this alone. Besides, has anyone addressed the possibility that the birds were "killed" by the prankster?
4. No disposition regarding the prankster was ever addressed.

I don't get it, one article, a blog, and zero debate. Sounds like a cover-up to me! Did the Mod go "Yawn" and then pass it off as junk because it was of no interest to them? Not fair at all even if it is a Hoax I would expect a bit more scrutiny and examination than a few hours of someone saying "fake birds" when that clearly was not the case. These birds looked more like a female blackbird to me; the very kind we do know have dropped out of the sky and died. Something stinks to high heaven on this one!

So, when a thread is a "Hoax" is it moved but still able to be added to? Or, is this option to "Thread Closed" a different direction that Mods have the privilege to exercise, because if that is the case I call "Hoax" on the Mod for not thinking clearly and not allowing a thread more opportunity. If it is a Hoax then just move it, why kill it? Especially during this most recent Mega-Storm one would expect a delay by more interested parties.
edit on 2/2/2011 by Greensage because: typical simple spelling errors

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

That is a very good question, I've often wondered about it myself. The difference between designating a thread 'hoax' and thread 'closed.'

I am sure there is a reasonible explanation and its probably been covered somewhere, if it has perhaps someone can post a link.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

There was a video of birds dropping out of the sky? Do you have a link? First time i heard about this

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

I didnt really get into the dead bird threads that much, I am sure there was one, I rememebr seeing the title, maybe the other member can fill in the link.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
In this case the video linked was from All News Web aka Sorcha Faal... but it turns out that the original source was someone else.

(The Jerusalem #4 video, for clarification)

It caught me too

edit on 3-2-2011 by zorgon because: Chadwickus talked to ArMaP to convince Phage to do it, even though Aliens abducted him

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Someone asked a question on the Jerusalem UFO thread: Why isn't this in the news over there?

Then as I was ready to leave work, I saw that someone started a thread about the UFO story being on a Jerusalem TV station. I didn't have time to look at that thread, I guess I need to do that now.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
What is sad is, it seems like if we are to discuss the Jerusalem UFO event, we will have to find a site other than ATS to do that on. Currently, i frequent no other message boards. I don't want to have to start.

ATS the membership is asking you to fix this problem. This is not the first thread in the last 24 hours that addresses this issue. I have yet to see a mod response, other than to close the thread and direct the member to the suggestions/complaint page.

Mods, can someone please speak to this? Stonewalling only begets frustration.

ETA: here is the link to the thread shut down by a moderator:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

While i am sure it isn't meant to appear that way, it does have a "Let them eat cake" appearance to it. Why stifle communication to such a degree that you feel the need to close a thread that has unanswered, viable questions?
edit on 3-2-2011 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I agree stonewalling will get everyone nowhere rather quickly. The thread you linked to is basically a rant/complaint thread so its understandable why that specifically was closed. But that still leaves me with the question of what is the difference between designating a 'hoax' that remains open and can continue to have conversation, and a thread being closed thereby eliminating any chance at further discussion or the presentation of any new facts that might not be available at the tie of writing.

And as for the Jerusalem event, it was closed because of the link to ANW, but if I'm not mistaken they were not the original source, just the source used in the OP here. Just because ANW picks up a topic that is also picked up here from the same primary source, doesnt make it untouchable on ATS does it?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
What is sad is, it seems like if we are to discuss the Jerusalem UFO event, we will have to find a site other than ATS to do that on. Currently, i frequent no other message boards. I don't want to have to start.

ATS the membership is asking you to fix this problem. This is not the first thread in the last 24 hours that addresses this issue. I have yet to see a mod response, other than to close the thread and direct the member to the suggestions/complaint page.

Mods, can someone please speak to this? Stonewalling only begets frustration.

ETA: here is the link to the thread shut down by a moderator:

While i am sure it isn't meant to appear that way, it does have a "Let them eat cake" appearance to it. Why stifle communication to such a degree that you feel the need to close a thread that has unanswered, viable questions?
edit on 3-2-2011 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

Did you not see there is an ongoing thread in A&U about this? The topic has not been shut down by ATS at all. Im at a loss to your complaint.

edit on February 3rd 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
yes, we do move threads to the hoax bin and move em back if the move was premature. depending on the thread, a note will be put into the thread explaining the move and, if the hoax was an intentional hoax, perpetrated by the original poster, we try and put an explanation with links to the proof.

in the case of the jerusalem vids, the move was made as the videos in question were from anw and M Cohen (not sorcha). Since there are several videos involved and, from what I understand, a few of them have not been debunked, I asked Mr. Mask to start a new thread so as to combine the discussion that was taking place in the other two threads that were moved to the hoax bin. His opening post really clarifies the story and the reason for the move to the hoax section, as well as the reason for the new thread.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I have not found it. ATS is very expansive....finding a thread can be hard. I didn't find links in any of the threads i was reading that got moved to the hoax bin, and the other threads that popped up asking what was going on got no response.

been a stressful day. i ranted. you gave me a good reply, so i feel much better (now, if i could just strangle people here at work all would be perfect).

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

yes it was shut down... Then someone (mask) started a separate thread to try and resurrect it.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

I have not found it. ATS is very expansive....finding a thread can be hard. I didn't find links in any of the threads i was reading that got moved to the hoax bin, and the other threads that popped up asking what was going on got no response.

been a stressful day. i ranted. you gave me a good reply, so i feel much better (now, if i could just strangle people here at work all would be perfect).

No worries.
Mr. Mask has done an awesome job presented all the information in one nicely packaged presentation. However, the thread is long now. Good luck at catching up

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
here's the link to the ongoing discussion

Mr. Mask didn't start a new thread to try and resurrect it, he started a new thread, at my request. The number of videos, the sources of these videos were muddled between the two threads and several had been debunked or linked to a known hoaxer and, as such, those threads were moved to the hoax section. By me.

I asked Mask to start the new thread because the members wanted it and because there was at least one, or two, videos that had not been debunked. Again, if you read his opening post, he did a stellar job of explaining the closure, the new thread and the entire situation.

that new thread is at 29 pages, 559 responses and tons more views. I hardly think he's trying to resurrect anything. the entire discussion has been moved into one place. Far better this way.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
GEL and Crackeur thank you both so much for clearing this up for everyone.
It wasnt my intention to create such a dialog on the Jerusalem sightings, just had a question pop up in my head. I am glad that some questions that others had answered as well. I really just expected one or two replies with a link to a post showing move to hoax or vice versa.

Just another example of the shining staff here at ATS. Thank you very much.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

No worries.
Mr. Mask has done an awesome job presented all the information in one nicely packaged presentation. However, the thread is long now. Good luck at catching up

I had started catching up as soon as you posted the link. Great summary.

Mr. Mask is one of the few from ATS that i would actually lke to meet (although i am up for anyone, he has just touched a few nerves inside this fat, furry old texan).

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Dialog...

Tis a wonderful thing

Now I am back on the fence on this one... seems I too jumped the gun

top topics

<<   2 >>

join