It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Citing the pro-democracy unrest in Egypt and Tunisia, Gov. Jerry Brown called it “unconscionable” that GOP legislators are vowing to block his attempt to ask voters to extend tax hikes to balance the budget.
“When democratic ideals and calls for the right to vote are stirring the imagination of young people in Egypt and Tunisia and other parts of the world, we in California can’t say now is the time to block a vote of the people,” Brown said in his first State of the State address in nearly 30 years.
His tax and debt reduction are a point of pride:
• National debt of $22.3 billion in 1923 lowered to $16.9 billion by 1929.
• Federal expenditures (budget) of $5.1 billion in 1921 were reduced to $3.3 billion in 1929.
• Cut taxes four out of his six years as president.
• Cut effective tax rate on the wealthy was 50 percent (1922) to 20 percent. Revenue from that tax bracket then rose from $77 million to $230 million.
• By 1927, 98% of the population paid no income tax
• Tax burden on those making under $10,000 fell from $130 million in 1923 to under $20 million in 1929.
Antonovich arrived at the estimate by factoring in the cost of food stamps and welfare-style benefits through a state program known as CalWORKS. Combined with public safety costs and health care costs, the official claimed the "total cost for illegal immigrants to county taxpayers" was more than $1.6 billion in 2010.
"Not including the hundreds of millions of dollars for education," he said in a statement.
Read more: www.foxnews.com...
I seem to recall reading that in LA County, California alone $600 million was spent on welfare for children of illegal immigrants, this is not including public safety and health care costs which would add up to be $1.6 billion in Los Angeles County, California alone.