It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING:Egyptian President Mubarak Reportedly to Announce He Won't Seek Reelection

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Just breaking now...

www.foxnews.com...

I already knew this was coming, but MSM is now confirming that Mubarak is stepping down!

This will go from rioting to cheering... but now it will be interesting to see who steps in... it's looking like the Nobel prize winner is the pick but that remains to be seen.

UPDATE: When I landed on the home page, it said that he was stepping down and I didn't get a screen grab of it before they updated it and changed the title... so I get to eat crow. My apologies folks!

~Namaste
edit on 1-2-2011 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
The headline on Fox News says:

Breaking News: Egyptian President Mubarak Reportedly to Announce He Won't Seek Reelection

I think your title is a little mis-leading, not seeking re-election is not the same thing as stepping down.
edit on 1-2-2011 by MindSpin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
yea i dont think that him not seeking reelection is going to be good enough for the people there , they want him gone now

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Now the big question is.... what happens next? I heard this morning on headline news that there Al Qaeda has already set up terrorist cells within the nation.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
He is not stepping down.. There is speculation he is not going to seek re-election. These are 2 different things! Personally, I think the protests won't stop with this action. He needs to leave the country for the people to be happy...

link   

edit on 1-2-2011 by KingJod because: (no reason given)

link   
Just because he steps down doesn't mean the people will receive a fair election.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

edit on 2/1/2011 by spark9576 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I really don't think the protestors will be happy about this.

From what I am hearing the election is "scheduled" for this fall...that is a long time away...and who knows if it would even stay on schedule.

Plus...he could just run for re-election anyway even if he says he won't.

And yes...the news is that he will not be seeking re-election...not that he is stepping down. Like I said...mis-leading title.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
well now this opens a new can of worms , DO NOT GET ME WRONG I AM ALL FOR HIM TO GET OUT AND GO, calm down not yelling big caps so you can see my thoughts, just who will be the next prez? leader ? they have all said no to the VP and anyone in his cabinet so who will it be???

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tacticz86
Now the big question is.... what happens next? I heard this morning on headline news that there Al Qaeda has already set up terrorist cells within the nation.

Ah the Al CIA DA boogie man, everywhere and nowhere.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I think he is going to step down....

The re-election announcement is to see how the people react first before he realizes he is not going to win this fight.

Again, I apologize for the misleading title, but when I first pulled up the page on Fox, it said he was stepping down, and nothing more.

~Namaste

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Although he has no plans to step down immediately, it does sound as if he is making every preparation to leave the country and meet the demands of the protesters. From the OP source:

President Hosni Mubarak is expected to say in a speech Tuesday night that he plans on stepping down at the next election scheduled in September, according to Reuters.

He does plan to stay in office until then to meet the demands of the protesters.

Al-Jazeera reports that the Egyptian Embassy in Tel Aviv is making preparations to welcome him into exile.

September is not too far off and this would at least leave some semblance of government in place until the elections. I think this is likely the proper course to take....but hey, what do I know...I don't live there.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

From the twitter messages and news coverage I've been seeing. They will accept nothing more than his Resignation ASAP.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Al Jazeera is now scrolling the following:" Mubarak will speak shortly and offer a "solution " after protests."
english.aljazeera.net...

Edit to add Sky News is reporting this:

Mubarak's Future: Reports He Will Stand Down
news.sky.com...
edit on 1-2-2011 by Cherryontop because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Of course Mubarak is not going to seek re-election....how else is his son going to take over?

This was Mubarak's goal long before the riots began. This is insulting non-news and this outright nepotism and corruption should fuel even more riots.

He and his entire family should be exiled now or be shown the secret police torture chambers.

edit on 1-2-2011 by Vikus because: Details

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
oh my...i had the browser open with recent posts not refreshed and came in for the first title you had OP...lol

back to the grassland

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong
reply to post by Aggie Man

From the twitter messages and news coverage I've been seeing. They will accept nothing more than his Resignation ASAP.

Obviously that is what the people want and they will likely get it. However, if they think it through with a clear head, then waiting for an election is a much better prospect than potentially allowing an extremist regime to force their way into power in the absence of any government. The last thing the people of Egypt want is to go "out of the frying pan and into the fire". Or maybe extremism is exactly what they desire; though, I doubt it.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

He had ruled Egypt unchallenged until 2005, when multicandidate elections were allowed for the first time. However, requirements introduced to the constitution by his ruling party severely limit who can run in next year's vote, making a comfortable win for the ruling party candidate a virtually foregone conclusion.

This is a ploy for the National Democratic Party (NDP) and by extension Mubarak himself to retain power. By announcing that he won't seek re-election he can give the image of (a) a fair democratic process and (b) that someone else will win. In reality, the NDP will sweep the nation once more. His party "won" 83% less than two months ago!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Dang, you beat CNN!
S+F, there, Clark Kent!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join