It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dark-Sky Movement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Stargazers now have their Graceland. The Channel Island of Sark, located 80 miles south of England, has been designated as the world's first dark-sky island. Dark-sky communities are places with very little to no light pollution. As a result, the stars are far easier to see and more fun to look at.

The Dark-Sky Movement

I'd love to see the night sky here! I lived in Arizona for a few years and holy-fug was the night sky amazing. Especially compared to my polluted abode outside of NYC now.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
that's awesome, i would like to find a place like that near richmond, in virginia. but there's usually a lot of light, and even more clouds...

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by metalshredmetal

I hear ya. I'd love a vacation out there.

More about the association below.
International Dark Sky Association

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Out on a ship in the Ocean, nothing for hundreds of miles, best place period. You see every star, even better than the middle of the desert,

Last year saw what I thought was a star, seemed real bright and not where it should be and it moved in an odd way, definatley not the rocking of the boat, sadly no picks or video, definately the oddest thing I have seen in the sky.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
Out on a ship in the Ocean, nothing for hundreds of miles, best place period. You see every star, even better than the middle of the desert,

Last year saw what I thought was a star, seemed real bright and not where it should be and it moved in an odd way, definatley not the rocking of the boat, sadly no picks or video, definately the oddest thing I have seen in the sky.

Pics or it didnt happen!!! hahaha. Kidding of course.

I would imagine the high seas would be amazing for star gazing. Unfortunately I am terrified of boats.

20 years ago in Phoenix was rather pleasant especially for a New Yorker. I was there recently and cant believe how much bigger and strip-mallier it got.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

thanks for sharing.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

I often wonder how many people have never seen the night sky without the lights of a city taking away the magnificence of a bazillion stars.

One of natures true wonders and yet even though free to watch, is unseen by so many.

It's one of the first things I look forward to when I have a trip in the bush planned. I am glad that someone has recognized this and is making a "sanctuary" of sorts to keep the area dark.

new topics

top topics

join