It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian Reservations in the US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I have a few questions about Indian Reservations in the U.S. (known as Native American tribes to our international ATS members, I think?) This is one of those subjects that's not easy to research on the Internet for some reason...

First, how many Indian tribes are legally recognized by the U.S. Government? How many Indian Reservations are there in the U.S.? (Are these two numbers the same?)

Also, what is the legal status of an Indian Reservation in the U.S.? Are they really a "nation within a nation"? Other than the U.S. Constitution, are they sovereign from the U.S. Government and the governments of the State(s) they reside in? Just how autonomous are they? (I've heard they have their own flags, legislatures, police, and courts, at least.)

Thanks for the enlightenment!

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Most of your questions can be answered at:
www.doi.gov...
www.census.gov...

Hoever it is a government site and may not represent the actual opinions of indian tribes. While I have no indian blood, there are a few Cherokee indians in my family....

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Most of your questions can be answered at:
www.doi.gov...
www.census.gov...

Hoever it is a government site and may not represent the actual opinions of indian tribes. While I have no indian blood, there are a few Cherokee indians in my family....

Thanks!
I'll check them out. (I guess I just wasn't surfing the right wave on the Internet, LOL.) But I'd love to get plenty of opinions as well -- such as the point of view of an Indian living on an Indian Reservation in the U.S., or people who live near those Indian Reservations in the State(s) that they overlap...

join