It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USA Public Prison Schools Ticketing Kids

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I could not for the life of me even believe that this tripe is happening in our schools now.

Source: www.chron.com...

This girl is given a $340 ticket as if she were an adult speeding down the highway! Can you people believe this? Talk about your prison system indoctrination programs.

I mean come on. Giving kids tickets that they must pay and then doubling their fines to $637 when they don't, all for using foul language?

This makes me really angry in how far Texas schools have sunk. Absolutely Disgusting!
I'm totally shocked that this is going on now.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
personally i sometimes think we should give Texas back to the Mexicans.

but then i remember that there are nice people i know from over there.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Yep, Texas discipline. Of course, the parents are the ones who end up being responsible for the ticket. So what lesson are they trying to teach the students? Won't be long before they start fining the students for not doing their homework.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
People don't send their kids to school to learn foul language from other kids. Bad words are usually learned at home anyway.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

As a side note: I just read that a Florida law-maker is proposing a law be crafted that would allow/require teachers to GRADE parents as well as their students. There is 3 criteria and it has to do with homework and participation with the students and the school. These "grades" would be included on the student's permanent record/report card.
edit on 30-1-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by warequalsmurder

Of course, you could post the facts, but that wouldn't serve an agenda, would it?

The "kid" was cited for disorderly conduct by a law enforcement officer assigned to her high school.

The Dallas Morning News reported that the fine for disorderly conduct/abusive language was $340, but other charges included failure to show for a hearing.
Mullins (the "kid") acknowledges she was wrong.

www.chron.com...

Why shouldn't teenage students be held to the same standards that apply to others? Should they be allowed to use abusive language in class, just because they are still students? What if the offense was for something else, like possession of a weapon, or drunk and disorderly?

Does the mere fact that some idiot who can't act civilly is still in school serve as an excuse?

Deny ignorance?

jw

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Really, who gives a flying F...

If kids want to swear, let them swear.
Nothing bad ever came from someone yelling "SH*T!" after screwing something up.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

Yep, that is the other trend in Texas. School districts getting their own police force.

School police officers in Texas are doling out more tickets to children as young as 6, who under past disciplinary practices would have been sent to the principal's office instead, according to a report by a Texas nonprofit.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
So, after reading the news article, my top-notch investigative abilities were able to determine that the school had nothing to do with the fine. The school punished her with 'lunch detention'. Whatever that is.

The three hundred and forty dollar original fine was the result of a civil charge brought in court by the teacher for "disorderly conduct/abusive language" because she was "offended" by the girl's use of foul language. The fine was served to the girl by the school resource officer, which for those who may not know is a police officer whose 'beat' is a public school.

In my opinion, the girl needs to spend some quality time with some public service and the teacher needs to 'cowgirl up' and quit acting like a prima donna.

Just my opinion.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
acting out is only natural for kids and teenagers subjected to the tedium of public schools, and any effort to stifle such normal activities through the use of the police force absolutely REEKS of fascism...this is to get kids in line early with the police state, and like Texas textbooks and the nonsense therein are spread throughout the nation, so too will this nefarious practice...i would never send my kids to public school, and if i had had to deal with cops in high school instead of the vice principal, i would have dropped out in a heartbeat...

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Montana
So, after reading the news article, my top-notch investigative abilities were able to determine that the school had nothing to do with the fine. The school punished her with 'lunch detention'. Whatever that is.

The three hundred and forty dollar original fine was the result of a civil charge brought in court by the teacher for "disorderly conduct/abusive language" because she was "offended" by the girl's use of foul language. The fine was served to the girl by the school resource officer, which for those who may not know is a police officer whose 'beat' is a public school.

In my opinion, the girl needs to spend some quality time with some public service and the teacher needs to 'cowgirl up' and quit acting like a prima donna.

Just my opinion.

But the whole point is that we've allowed law enforcement to become far to intrusive into our kid's lives now. That teacher's only recourse should have been a sit down with the school principle, not a police officer for Christ's sake!

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297

Of course, you could post the facts, but that wouldn't serve an agenda, would it?

The "kid" was cited for disorderly conduct by a law enforcement officer assigned to her high school.

The Dallas Morning News reported that the fine for disorderly conduct/abusive language was $340, but other charges included failure to show for a hearing.
Mullins (the "kid") acknowledges she was wrong.

www.chron.com...

Why shouldn't teenage students be held to the same standards that apply to others? Should they be allowed to use abusive language in class, just because they are still students? What if the offense was for something else, like possession of a weapon, or drunk and disorderly?

Does the mere fact that some idiot who can't act civilly is still in school serve as an excuse?

Deny ignorance?

jw

Right, right. And we should let the police officers start tazing our kids into their classrooms if they are late too. I mean, why shouldn't children be held to the same standards that adults are?

Your reasoning is as sick, as it is spiritually devoid.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Every citizen has the right to petition for redress through the courts, which is what the teacher did. She went OUTSIDE of the school and filed a civil court case. The school had nothing to do with it.

Again, i think it was really weak, but she has the right, just like you or I.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Montana

Every citizen has the right to petition for redress through the courts, which is what the teacher did. She went OUTSIDE of the school and filed a civil court case. The school had nothing to do with it.

Again, i think it was really weak, but she has the right, just like you or I.

I still disagree. How far did she step OUTSIDE of the school to speak with the onsite police officer? The hallway? The front lawn?
It wasn't like she drove to a police precinct and filed a complaint or something. So once again, I stand by my opinion that cops and schools are far too chummy these days. FAR TOO CHUMMEY.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

why didn't you mention that fact that the principle had already punished her with lunch detention and the leo gave her the ticket the next day. i'm no lawyer but that sounds like double jeopardy to me.

Court records show that teacher Michelle Lene heard Victoria Mullins say "you trying to start (expletive)" loudly in class one day last October. She was sent to the principal's office and given lunch detention. The next day, the school resource officer presented the North Mesquite High School student a ticket.

you know nothing in the article indicates that the gril knew she even had a hearing. and getting a ticket for cussing in class, man i'm glad they didn't have cops in schools when i was young, i cussed so much that they would have put me under the jail house and pumped sunshine down to me.

and all of that because a teacher found the s word offensive

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
That person should not be given a ticket for just swearing it is so stupid.A fine for 344 dollors.That is shocking!I can never believe this.That is what it is like other there just giving kids tickets for just one slip up.It really is unacceptable and digusting.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Public schools are just truly horrible. Can someone think of a better place for creativity to die? I am truly surprised a teacher would do all that, because a child cursed. I'm happy I want to a private school where even the teachers cursed. Language is a means of expression. At the most the child should have been given detention and a talk with her parents.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I am a School Resource Officer in Florida. We do not hand out tickets for cussing. They don't exist. She may have been written a court date for disruption of a school function which is a misdemeanor charge that could be punishable by a fine. However simply cussing would not be sufficient probable cause to write a court date for the charge. Maybe she was cussing and when asked to leave the class she refused. The entire time the teacher had to stop performing her official duties of teaching to deal with the student. That would be sufficient for a disorderly conduct or disruption of a school function charge. Maybe the article wasn't written properly. The media does like sensationalism, it sells. Who knows.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I'm not sure where you all live, but in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs, we've had uniformed police officers (not just 1 but at least 7 or more) in High Schools since about 1990. This is nothing new. You get busted with pot, you get disciplined by the school and then a possession ticket by the officer that you have to go to court for.

1. It's not double jeopardy since the school is not a prosecutor nor was the child brought before the court and charged with this incidence before the ticket was issued.

2. Sure it's natural for kids to rebel, but it still doesn't make it right for them to disrupt the classroom whenever they feel like it. It's called self-control, something seriously lacking in the under 30 generation in the US. Maybe if disorderly conduct charges were brought against more students, they'd shut their mouths and learn more about the world than what the Daily Show tells them.

3. That its punishing the parents because they have to pay the ticket is garbage. If your a parent and your going to pay this ticket without making the child pay for it by either working, selling their gadgets (like that $399.00 smart phone) or otherwise paying for it themselves, then you get the kid you raised. Good luck getting them to take care of you when your in your feeble old age because they don't feel responsible for you because you never taught them personal responsibility.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by HTorch22

You know what? School (K-12) is not there to teach kids to be creative, or to express themselves or to learn how to community organize or protest. K-12 is there for kids to learn the basic facts of math, science, english, literature, and history. The "exploration" of "creative" ventures is for college, trade school or university. K-12 should lay the basics to have intelligent discussions in later life - college, trade school or otherwise. This is exactly why the US has fallen behind the rest of the world in science and technology. To much emphasis on individual creativity and expression than shut up and learn the facts before you open your mouth.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join